LUX Meter recommendations

yas omg GIF by O&O, Inc

4 Likes

On a more serious note, I ventured into this field blindly and bought two Hue outdoor sensors, but haven't started using them. They seem to have been reporting regularly, so all I need to do is find time to setup some rules and do that trial and error thing myself...

1 Like

1 Like

What are your thoughts on the indoor sensor? The black on top may cost WAF points if installed inside. Or, does it make sense to write indoor rules based on outdoor LUX conditions? USE CASE: Our family room / Dining Room / Kitchen is an open floor plan. The family room has 4 large almost floor-to-ceiling panel windows looking out on our patio and back yard.. so decent amount of shaded natural light, In this instance the sensor would likely be mounted on the patio just outside the windows
The dining area has 6 or 7 windows in round turret. These windows are not shaded but don't have much effect in the family room.

Indoor sensor is same guts, different case.... Works great... You can run multiple sensors and aggregate or even use them for general room lighting for overheads as well. Also perhaps on opposite sides of the house to account for shadowing. During morning when east sensor is at 400 open blinds.... when west sensor is at 300 close blinds kind of thing.

3 Likes

I face East - West, so the rear of the house get's the morning sun and vice-versa. My plan was to use the appropriate outdoor sensor to detect Sunrise / Sunset to manage blinds and changes in mode-style lighting, more so than determining whether I need / want to turn the lights on.

We are North / South facing so the sun is more or less directly overhead most of the day. I'm looking at controlling mainly overhead recessed lighting based on when the house generally lightens or darkens, but also to account for cloudy/stormy days (yeah, we do occasionally get those in north Texas). I can see the points dropping faster than gas prices go up as I look at all the Hue options!

1 Like

By one to rule them all :rofl:

1 Like

It's only going to get more expensive to ship it to you.... Admittedly not as much as it is for me...

2 Likes

Costco has a 4-pack of the Hue 4" retrofit downlights for $179. Conveniently just enough to do the family room.

2 Likes

Damn, this hue sensor is FAST at reporting light-level changes!
Working perfectly! Thanks @rlithgow1 !

2 Likes

You have a hue bridge right?

1 Like

Not yet, but becoming very apparent I will soon. Can it run off of POE? I'm limited on outlets, but have plenty of POE ports open.

1 Like

I use this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZH5V89T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N812NKL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

with my Hue bridge and it's fine.

1 Like

It is very reliable. Ive been using them for 5 plus years in two different homes.

4 Likes

Agreed on the direct pairing to Hubitat being reliable. Not sure who the Lots of people are that are having problems with these, but I've not heard this before...more likely I havent paid attention, to be fair.

I've been running 3 Hue Outdoor Motion Sensors tie wrapped to my gutter downspouts in direct sunlight for 2-3 years, with no failures or battery changes. 2 of them are on the wrong side of a brick wall from my hub(s).

I have numerous rules that use the average luminance across 3 sensors lux values to govern activation. Love these sensors. A bit pricey, but worth it.

I dunno, but subjectively, they seem pretty reliable to me.

S.

2 Likes

Thanks!
I agree...direct paired, these things are FANTASTIC!

Am I safe to assume the indoor sensors also pair direct? Just got an email from hue they are back in stock. Went to order it and said a hue hub was required (yeah I'm planning to order one, just not yet).

1 Like

Yup. I am using both indoor and outdoor Hue Motion Sensors, directly paired to the Hubitat hub and performing as they should.

1 Like

Just went back to order a second one, and already out of stock again. Good thing I can use an outdoor sensor for the next thing I want to do.