Lutron VCRX

I'll take a look tomorrow to see if there is a way to get a driver for those inputs.

1 Like

Cool. Would be very useful.

Please explain what you mean by this. Could you post what you see from these inputs.

Someone is asking similar questions in the Lutron forums...
https://forums.lutron.com/showthread.php/15465-Visor-Control-Receiver-Inputs-and-LED-state

No because I don't have the VCRX yet. However as actually @bill.d also replied I'm following that post on the Lutron forum to see where it goes and looking to see if this will be possible with Hubitat or not.

I figured it out. You do have to set up the CCI in Essentials (or Inclusive) to be Maintained input, not momentary. Then it sends commands for closure closed and closure open. There will need to be a new driver to support this, as all three CCIs report against a single device (the VCRX). Other than that detail, this could be used with a Lutron Motion Sensor driver, but it would not distinguish between the different inputs (as in, if you only needed a single input).

I will look to add this driver for the next release. It will show up in automations as a Contact Sensor, with open and close as its events. The driver will maintain its current state internally, thus solving the issue of not being able to query the VCRX for its state.

2 Likes

VCRX driver now available in 2.2.0 release.

I saw that :slight_smile:

Thank you.

I've migrated most of my house over to RR2 now as well. Had a big install job so I could afford to outfit my own house :slight_smile:

Are you L2?

1 Like

If by L2 you mean Inclusive, yes.

Yes. cool. If not I was going to inform you Lutron is providing a special series of online training... mid May is what I was told.

I took the course with them a few years ago.

Cool. Just thought I'd pass it along if you weren't already. I was trying to schedule time to head up to PA for the training but now I don't have to travel for it :slight_smile:

My experience was that from a content perspective, it could have been done online. They do a bunch of hands-on stuff with a cool little training station, where you actually load up a main repeater and do things with it. When I took the course everyone else there, about 20 people, were professional Lutron installers/dealers. It was fairly laid back, but informative.

Personally, I don't like their tactic of separating their markets and such with arbitrary restrictions in their software. It's very old school thinking. They have their reasons and I understand them. But, I have to think they could be a bit more open and progressive in their approach, and benefit from it. On the other hand, its hard to argue with success. Invented the digital dimmer, have sold billions of them; invented RF technology for remote switch control, and have the premier technology in that space, hands down better than Z-Wave or Zigbee. Family owned and managed company, privately held, no bank debt, no analysts, just doing things their way.

1 Like

From what I've been told there's a "hardware kit" included so I'll see what I get.

Yeah business segmentation aside Lutron has excellent products and we may not like the segmentation but it's working for them. It's somewhat annoying that Caseta and Select are getting some features now but not RA2 but I'm thinking of that as "beta testing" before pushing those features up the chain :slight_smile:

Lutron is by far the best RF lighting and customer service is top notch.

Which features?

that's funny I was just thinking to myself that "features" was the wrong wording.... :slight_smile:

Previous it was better app + voice now with connect that's come to RA2. The only thing I can think of is the Pico Fan controller (which might be in Inclusive)....thinking...yeah... I think that's about it :slight_smile:

Isn't the Pico Fan Controller just engraving on a Pico?

On the outside. However I tried using a standard 3BRL and it won't assign the RL to the fan speed control.

Do you mean, to the RA2 fan control?

Yes RRD-2ANF