Lutron ramp rate?

Do you have a computer from which you could run telnet? Do you know how to do that? We could do a little experiment that takes the hub out of the equation.

I think we know what is the cause of this, but could use your help to confirm.

If you do a setlevel in the Hub Device View with 100 and 0 as the first and second options, does it ramp immediately? Do you see a difference between 100,0 and 100,1?

yes i can but from the device page. the level isnt saving. is it supposed to?. cause i rebooted and now if i put 70 on top number and 0 for bottom it is FAST like the app then smart lighting is slow using them settins

yes now that is working before it wasnt but then setting don't stick

They aren't meant to. Those are sent with each command.

If you do setLevel 100,1 it should look similar to what just turning it On from the device page does, not instant. Can you confirm that also?

ok now it seems to be working in rule machine. its very fast. i couldnt figure out how to set the rate in rule machine. i put the 100.1 in that value and it ramps fast and then changed to 70.1 and it fast too. i couldnt find anything on the ramp rate and where u said setlevel 100,1 . i thought i needed a comma not a period. is that how its done?

No, that was just shorthand here. On the device page it's two different numbers.

What is going on is that our integration does not send the ramp time parameter for on or off, but does for setLevel when it is specified. So what happens when that parameter is not specified is that the Caséta device ramps with about 1 second of ramp for on and off, or plain setLevel commands.

It could be that in the app and ST, that ramp parameter was passed as 0.

What this suggests is that we should add a preference in the Lutron drivers for the default ramp rate so it can be user set, and apply to on, off and setLevel (unless an explicit ramp rate is specified). We can put this on the feature update list.

2 Likes

that would help greatly i think. Without u telling me that, i would of never figured it out.
thank you for the help

Hey, no problem. We will add that, and you can set it however you want as a preference for the device. This probably should have been done in the first place. But, you are the first Caséta user who said anything about it. I have RadioRA2 for part of my house, and all of those dimmers ramp by default at 2 seconds. I've grown to like the effect.

well i wouldnt mind but with 2 of mine especially bathroom and kitchen i wanted it fast as it used to be. bathroom was almost instant before and like i said the kitchen sensor would detect walking down hall and lights would be on already 70 be the time u got there. with how it was working now is the were still coming up to level by time you reached the kitchen.

one more question. does the ramp work in simple lighting? i created a simple rule for night lights basically to turn on at a certain time and go off a certain time. they both failed if i put in the 1,0.

Two part answer: No, Simple Lighting does not support ramp rate (otherwise it quickly becomes non-simple). In any case, you don't put in "1,0". That was just shorthand in my post, not what you put into any app.

yes i know 1.0 period instead of a comma. ok just checking if it was a bug or didnt support it

i wanted to let u know @bravenel that i updated to 2.0 and all my lutron device would fire with motion. i got some java exception is the log. i had the 70.0 in there for the ramp rate and it wont work anymore. i took out the .0 and it works again. it seems like its fast to ramp without the .0 in there. idk if that was on purpose or you all know it does this now

Caséta doesn't support ramp rate. You can just leave it blank.