Lutron RA2 QS Select Lighting System

Good afternoon,

My contractor has installed the Lutron RA2 QS Select Lighting System in my new house. I can control the lights with my iPhone only when at home (hooked up to the same network as the main repeater via WiFi). I would like to control the lights when I open a door (I am using Konnected for this and already hooked up to Hubitat). Do I need extra hardware to achieve this? Please advise.

Thanks

You can use our Lutron Integration app to do this. Install the Lutron Integrator app, and then select Luton Integration from there. Once you set up the integration, go into the Lutron Telnet device, and select Grafik Eye QS, and hit Save Preferences.

Hi bravenel, thanks for the info. I am going to try that from home tonight. I know this can be access just locally, Otherwise I would try it remotely right now :slight_smile:

So, I do not need to buy a Lutron Connect Bridge at all to do this? No Lutron subscription needed either?

Thanks

Manuel

Do you have a RA2 system with Main Repeater, or a Grafik Eye QS system with GRX-CI-NWK-E??

RA2 system with Main Repeater

Oh, in that case ignore what I wrote above about Grafik Eye QS. You will need the integration report from the Essentials software for RA2. From there you can get the integration ID number for each device. You will use these in the Lutron Integration.

I was able to download the file called Lutron_DbXmlInfo.xml

Looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
  <!--                                                                      -->
  <!-- This file and the information contained herein are confidential      -->
  <!-- and proprietary to Lutron Electronics Co., Inc.  Unauthorized        -->
  <!-- possession or use of this file or the information contained herein   -->
  <!-- is prohibited.  No reproduction may be made of this file without     -->

38.2-121.7Copyright 2010 Lutron Electronics Co., Inc. All rights reserved56ee7af8b03e134b9130b2a987df2ffd310.0.01.012/21/201812:04:08FALSE<Output Name="Zone 06" UUID="954" IntegrationID="24"

Sorry that didn't get pasted correctly, it looks like this:

<Component ComponentNumber="5" ComponentType="BUTTON"><Button Name="Button 5" UUID="1597" Engraving="Path" ButtonType="Toggle" PrimaryActionType="3" SceneSaver="false" CycleDim="false" AllowDoubleTap="false" StopIfMoving="false" ProgrammingModelID="3673" LedLogic="2" ReverseLedLogic="false"><Actions><Action Name="Press" ActionType="3"><Presets><Preset Name="Press" UUID="1599"><PresetAssignments><PresetAssignment UUID="3335" AssignmentName="GOTO_LEVEL" AssignmentType="2"><Delay>00:00:00.00</Delay><Fade>00:00:03.00</Fade><Level>99.00</Level><IntegrationID>27</IntegrationID></PresetAssignment></PresetAssignments></Preset></Presets></Action></Actions><Notes /></Button></Component>

Thanks

I was just able to integrate my first automation, YEAH!!!

A few things:

1. If you can only access the system on the phone while on the local network it sounds like you are using the "Home +" or "Home Control+" app. Remote access requires a subscription. This is the old way. Lutron is retiring the "Home +" app later this year.
  2. The current app that you want is "Lutron Connect". That requires a Connect Bridge. Check with your contractor to see if it's already there. There is no subscription for remote access. Any new install should have had it included in the design.
  3. You can (as you have) parse the xml file to find the configuration numbers and associations. But a much easier way is to get the "integration report". It's a CSV file that is a lot easier to read than the xml. That is available from the system programming software (on PC). The installer can generate it and send it to you.
  4. You may be able to get configuration access to your system. There are 2 levels of PC configuration software: Essentials and Inclusive. If your system was programmed with Essentials (ask your installer) you can take free online training (a few hours, not too hard) and Lutron will give you access to the software. Inclusive is a bigger deal (live training, not free), and probably not worth the effort.
  5. In any case, you should ask your installer for the system configuration file so that you can at least have the option to easily change the company that maintains the system.
1 Like

Thanks for the detailed information bill. I definitely don't have the bridge. I see Amazon sells a connect bridge, what would be the correct one to buy? Is it the Lutron CONNECT-BDG2-1?

Also, I was able to program quite a few things already but running into an issue. For example if I open a door between the garage and the house, the hallway automatically illuminates but if I close the door and reopen it, it shuts off. This is because the button is a toggle switch which I configure as a Keypad in Hubitat. It wouldn't work any other way, at least for me unless I was doing something wrong. Anyway, my question is how can I avoid the hallway light to shut off? Is there a delay after it turns on when opening the door, so if the door open and closes multiple times as people gets into the house, for example with groceries, the lights on the hallway remain on.

Thanks

Show us the automation app that you are using for this.

The part number is CONNECT-BDG2-1. It should be about $200 +/-. I didn't see a good listing on Amazon. Check a local electric supply house that carries Lutron - they'll usually give a reasonable deal.

The largest issue is that you still need your installer to get the bridge integrated in your system. I'd really press that company to give it to you at cost (<$200). In today's app connected world it's not an option. They didn't know you were going to try to control it with a 3rd party hub.

As for your on/off behavior, keypad buttons control scenes. Scenes can be toggle (like you have) or levels (no off). You need to find the individual dimmers/switches that are included in the scene in the xml file and add them to Hubitat. This is where the integration report is useful.

You should add both dimmers/switches and keypads and phantom (virtual) buttons to Hubitat to give the most flexibility and best performance. Example: if you have 10 dimmers, Hubitat can send 10 device messages (1 to each device) or send 1 scene (that contains the 10 devices) message to the Lutron repeater. They will both work, but the single message to a Lutron repeater will appear to work faster as there will be no delay or "popcorning". Some of this setup/optimization may require the ability to make changes in the PC software.

I bought one of these for my RA2 system and think it was a total waste of money. What do you need it for?

I agree that the benefit may be minimal in a full HE controlled environment.

The reason to have a Connect Bridge is non-HE control of the system. Most people aren't totally invested in HE. So there is a native Lutron app and HomeKit integration. And a backup if one's Hubitat is down. I think there is potential clock drift without the bridge too.

The largest issue IMO is the mis-speccing the system. Everyone wants an app that works out of the house. The installer wanted to save a few $. Less than 2 dimmers.

I have never had occasion, before or since Hubitat, to want to control any part of my RA2 system from outside the house. So for me, it was just a waste.

Bravenel, I am using the Lutron Integration within Hubitat as you suggested.

Bill, thanks for the detailed response. So looks like even if I buy the bridge on my own I will need my contractor to come set it up, that's really a bummer, I am sure he will charge me an arm and a leg to do that.

A couple more questions, I want to control the lights via Alexa voice commands. Can I do that with Hubitat without the bridge? Can I also automate the lights with Hubitat to turn on and off randomly to simulate someone being in the house?

Thanks

You don't need the bridge for anything except accessing your Lutron system remotely.

Yes, Alexa can control your lights through Hubitat.

The random lights is a bit more complicated, and you can find some help on how to do that here in the community.

The install of a connect bridge will take about 10 mins. Connect bridge to network. Open software. Add bridge. Push button on bridge. Transfer to devices. Save.

I'd really push the contractor to do the labor for free. In 2019 there is no reason not to spec the bridge. It adds a lot of functionality to the base system. If this is a new install, the installer should have time built in to the job to make adjustments to the system - scenes, levels, etc. At the same time the installer can generate and give you the integration report.

If you have fewer than 100 devices, meet the other system requirements and you want to get into the the Hubitat/home automation hobby then I'd recommend getting the Lutron certification and software. The worst that would happen is that you would have to re-program your system. The Lutron software is pretty easy to use.

Good morning guys, I am a new user so I am limited on the number of replies I can do a day. Anyway, I wanted to thank you both. I am still digging to find out the right way to create my rules in Hubitat, certain rules are making my light in the house go crazy :slight_smile: I have contacted the installer of my Lutron system but he is not responding my emails. Looks like every contractor out there that I have dealt with, as soon as they get paid in full they do not support you anymore or care at all.

Is there a way to add the bridge myself if I take the online classes for the Lutron system?