Lutron Questions

@jeubanks Actually he did say something about it being the cheapest which is why I had to disagree.

Do you wanna? I have a quote from Worthington I'd happily PM you to pick apart, price wise, if interested.

Ok yeah... cheapest remotes ever with standard Pico's... NOT custom!!! :slight_smile: yeah not getting a custom Pico for $15 bucks.

And why would you velcro them when they have such nice 1 gang mounts? :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Because... Velcro dude! :rofl:

2 Likes

@jeubanks first of all do tell more about the laser engraved Picos! I have access to a shop and more importantly talented folks who can engrave. As soon as business reopens in the NYC area I can try something like this. Are there "standard" Picos available "blank" or perhaps with some variety of default text/icons that would be more suited for customization?

@TechMedX I'd absolutely use the nice wall mounts and even the little table platforms too. We use velcro for the few spots where something like that wouldn't work. You're right too… velcro… :roll_eyes: we use so much of it at work it is a habit to say it!

I'm a warm-color-lova and like my lights even warmer 2300/2400 at night. The only whiter bulbs I want are in the bathroom and kitchen. Everything else is more ambience. But I also like color for mood/accent as well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

No there are no "standard" blank Pico's. In fact those are more "custom" order than an engraved Pico... yeah go figure..... Custom engraved Pico's are only available through a Lutron dealer (not retailer like Amazon). I'm actually checking with a distributor and with Lutron to find out about getting "blank" Pico's for custom work like this.

I know of an engraver that does great work on Lutron wall plates and switch covers but not sure about on actual Pico's. I'm going to check with them and see if they "can" do it or not.

Word of caution. Some engraver shops even using "laser engravers" don't have something "quite right" and the engraving comes out mis-colored (likely burned) or looking "off".... so always use a sample face plate for a switch/dimmer or a claro wall plate for testing the engravers work.

These would be nice if available for a reasonable price so at least you could use clear labels from a label maker

1 Like

From another thread yesterday. Not sure if blank units are available.

Can I assume a smart bulb RGB won't work well when plugged into a socket that has a lutron switch wired to it?

semi self defeating, but it "works"

you can either wire the switch to control the bulbs leaving them on all the time to be controlled via dash or RM. With my Sengled at least, after power is cut, and power returns the lights produce light (not just turn Zigbee on), so the "smart" becomes dumb when turned off/on at switch. If left on they are still controllable via RM

You can also hot wire the circuit (check your local code, don't listen to me), so that the bulbs are always on. Then wire the switch to be "loadless" and program the switch to control the light state.

SWMBO mandates "all switches MUST look the same" in our house, so I have done both and different situations.

That's a pretty good assumption... What type of bulb is it? If it is a Sengled bulb, then it really won't hurt anything, as those bulbs are NOT Zigbee repeaters. Thus, fully powering them down will not negatively impact your Zigbee mesh network. Most all other smart bulbs are repeaters for their respective networks (Zigbee or Z-Wave), with the exception being WiFi bulbs.

In general, use a dumb bulb with a smart switch whenever possible.

I only use smart bulbs in table/floor lamps, and I only use Sengled these days.

1 Like

I'm just thinking for Halloween use......... Just curious really.

Having never used anything but Sengled I'm semi biased I guessed. Need to remember that part about other bulbs being crummy, but still repeaters. If they are not Sengled you would need to remove them from the network when not in use, and leave the switch "on" full time if in use. Would they work in that use case @ogiewon?

Sure, they'd work...but the 'crummy repeater' problem would still exist, even if left on all of the time. :wink:

1 Like

Bit you could get a invollia redline dimmer , program it when you hit the switch not to physically turn off the relay then you could use it with a smart bulb in the fixture. Bulb will turn off and still have power to it

Hello all,

I decided to finally get rid of Wink after their latest extended outage. I ordered a HE device last week and am eagerly awaiting its arrival today.

My primary concern for my Home Automaiton setup is getting my number out Lutron Caseta wall switches and plug adapters migrated over to Hubitat, I know the Wink had licensed the proprietary RF technology from Lutron but they no longer do this for other vendors so I needed a Lutron bridge, specifically a Lutron L-REPPRO-BL Ra2 Select.

Is this model sufficient to allow me to integrate my Lutron into Hubitat or do I need the Lutron Pro Bridge as well?

There are a few models of Lutron bridges that can be used to integrate Lutron devices, but they are Lutron product-line specific. In your case, there is only one model that will support Lutron CASETA Switches, Dimmers, and Fan Controllers...the Lutron SmartBridge Pro2 ( L-BDGPRO2-WH)... and that can be integrated with Hubitat.

2 Likes

The only Lutron device you need is the Lutron Caseta Smart Bridge Pro2 (indicated by @ogiewon in the post above mine).

You do not need a Ra2 Select repeater for Caseta switches/dimmers/outlets (or any other Caseta device that worked with Wink).

2 Likes

Ok - I will return the Radio2 Select and get the Pro Bridge - they were priced the same which is interesting,...

1 Like