Lutron Questions

Continuing the discussion from "Best" Lighting Solution:

@bill.d , I didn't want to hijack the other thread and wanted to ask some Lutron questions.

I just getting started with home automation using Hubitat. I want to set up the entire house. I just bought 8 inovelli red line dimmers. Would I have been better off going Lutron switches thru the house instead ?

I eventually want to get automated blinds also

I currently have some select HUE lights and going all in with inovelli color bulbs

1 Like

Yes.

5 Likes

Can I ask why ?

Do they intergrate with Hubitat

Agree with @jeubanks comment. I've replaced most of my z-wave switches/dimmers (except 5) with Caseta switches/dimmers.

2 Likes

Caseta uses a very low radio frequency that makes it through home construction material really well. So even though it is a non-mesh protocol, I've never had a lighting automation not work, or worry about a Caseta switch/dimmer going offline.

And yes, they do integrate with Hubitat.

2 Likes

The 8 redline's are still in the box, it would not be hard to send them back.

+1 Lutron is faster, they work 100% of the time, and they have Picos!

1 Like

can I get the hub just for the PICO and use with the Zwave switches ?

is there any sort of extender if by change they are out of range ?

On the counterpoint, I have 40+ zwave plus light switches/dimmers in my house and can't think of one time in the last 3 years my lighting automation didn't work.... Or commands were missed.

That isn't to say lutron is not good - it's very good. Just not the only reliable option.

1 Like

Yes, there is an extender (at least for caseta). My experience is solely with Caseta.

1 Like

@JasonJoel I appreicate the other side of it. I am very much a techie and system engineer by trade

I was half thinking of getting luton just for PICO only and maybe shades eventually. I think I saw zwave verison of the pico out there.

Lutron is a great system, and for people that like/use remotes the pico is hard to beat!

Lutron used to make a zigbee PIco-like device. They don't any more. GE/Jasco have some z-wave remotes that are similar to Picos, but aren't supported by Hubitat.

How long of an answer do you want? And give it time and there will be dozens of other people agreeing.

Yes. HE can integrate with the Lutron Caseta Pro bridge and with Lutron RadioRa 2 and RadioRa 2 Select.

----Reasons.....
100% reliability
Integrates/Works with all decent home automation platforms
Professional lighting system (Caseta is DIY but still professional quality)
No Z-Wave problems/mesh/repair why is this slow/not working
Wide selection of colors (RadioRa 2) Caseta is limited
In Wall Keypads and Scenes (RadioRa 2)
Pico remotes... these alone have a cult following!!!
Fan Control options
Power plug options (RadioRa 2)
Thermostat options (RadioRa 2)
REAL occupancy sensors (RadioRa 2) - recently released for Caseta but this version doesn't integrate with HE.

I can keep going.....

You'll see that RadioRa 2 is a whole home system for lighting and HVAC and other things are possible such as VCRX for garage doors and relay options etc etc... lots of options.

Caseta is a budget friendly DIY option and is mainly primary lighting there is now a fan control unit and of course there are Pico remotes.

Now I'm a Lutron fan and dealer so what do I know.... I'll leave it to the rest to comment their satisfaction.

EDIT: Oh yeah Window shades with RadioRa 2 and most important for family satisfaction and WAF.... NO POPCORN LIGHTING... try do do a group scene of z-wave lighting and you'll see them pop-on and you can see the serial nature of z-wave. Just the way it is... yes you can do direct associations but it's still there. Lutron Scenes are uniform so on/off/brighten/dim all lights in sync. Never do that with Z-Wave. Zigbee has the capability to do this and so does Insteon. I would recommend Insteon for lighting before Z-Wave personally.

3 Likes

I use Radio RA2 and yes you can get 1 Aux repeater with the essential (free online training), and more if you have the inclusive software (paid training).

1 Like

everyone, this is great ! I have been trying to understand where to get started with Lutron. I have not installed any of the switches yet and I have no problem sending them back if needed.

I replaced all of my Z-Wave switches and dimmers with Lutron Caseta switches, dimmers, fan controllers, and pico remotes. They all just work 100% of the time.

I also like that Lutron has its own integrations with Amazon Alexa, Google Home, Apple HomeKit, Logitech Harmony, SmartThings, and more... Hubitat's integration is fast, reliable, and local over your home LAN. It is good to have options! :sunglasses:

When you buy into Lutron, you are buying a home lighting system, not just some switches. I really like systems that can stand on their own and be integrated with basically everything. If I ever want to use another home automation platform, at least I will not have to touch any of my Lutron devices. I have never had to 'pair' one a second time.

2 Likes

If I could quote @jeubanks post on another theard

Well said, except PM me instead. joking! Lutron is not cheep. RA has more option but more $$

1 Like

I said this in a previous post but I'll repeat it.

Lutron is a absolutely great system with a caveat. Cost.

On a budget you can readily go with a Lutron Caseta Pro bridge and switches/dimmers for just a little more than you will pay for quality Z-Wave equivalent switches/dimmers. This is an absolutely great system too.

BUT... Fine print.....

The Caseta Switches/Dimmers are NOT compatible with the RadioRa 2 system (normal or budget Select). SOOOO.... if you have any inclination of ever upgrading to RadioRa 2 keep that in mind because YOU WILL HAVE TO replace EVERYTHING.

Finer Print.....

Caseta and RadioRa 2 Select have Occupancy sensors. THEY DO NOT interface with any external control systems. You ONLY get the Occupancy sensor integrations with the full RadioRa 2 system.

2 Likes