Lutron Questions

Yes I know. I'm giving MSRP because this was not a quote and I'm not doing the install. I know it can be done cheaper but it's best to set ideas and then it be cheaper when quoted from a local installer/dealer.

Of course he can go through the process and training and DIY all of this but it's still not going to be as cheap as Caseta or z-wave. Setting expectations/assumptions correctly upfront is important.

1 Like

I am not seeing the use for lutron switches unless i only get it for pico

I plan on having color bulbs as much as possible

Probably only need 4 switches for the front door , 4 for the master bathroom and 2 switches for the guest bathroom and garage

Those are probably the only places I will not have a color bulb

1 Like

I've never been so happy that I HATE color bulbs. Look at the money it saved me!!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not this guy , every time i am in a room i spend any time in sitting i get irritated I haven't out a color bulb in the room yet

1 Like

That's why they make them. Lots of people like them.

Me - I want my light at 2700k (3000k if I have to) 24/7. Period. And about a billion lumen. :wink:

5 Likes

You're crazy. 3000k all the way! LOL

Personally color bulbs are important for one reason.....we're Halloween enthusiasts!

2 Likes

LOL. I was just updating my post to say or 3000k. I am ok with that, too. Smart alec. :slight_smile:

1 Like

haha! I do agree with a billion lumen though! Preferably up-facing, indirect lumens.

1 Like

600-800 lumen smart lights are only useful for closets. Too dim otherwise. :wink:

1 Like

Since you're of similar mind...do you have any recommendations for "properly bright" RGBWW light strips?

I'm going to re-do two rooms this summer and I want to use all light strips. But the ones I currently use for MISC things I fear wont be bright enough for whole-room lighting.

What should i get ? I hear lifx is bright but it's wifi

I was playing with illoveia but not very bright only 800

Is my main option hue

You can always try this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Feit-Electric-300-Watt-Equivalent-Corn-Cob-LED-High-Lumen-Daylight-5000K-HID-Utility-LED-Light-Bulb-C4000-5K-LED/206677057

1 Like

I put the 600w equivalent corn cob in my garage. It has a high ceiling so it doesnt blind you, but it lights up the WHOLE garage.

Unfortunately.... They do not market that model in Canada. 8-{

Wow this has become a hot topic! I will add $0.02 from my experience with all of this both here and from work.

@sstretchh I now own quite a few Inovelli Red Series dimmers. I really like them. I have a few small complaints regarding the way the dimmer interpolates (or rather how limited that interpolation is) between values when dimming slowly. This is hardly noticeable at all when the amount of change is large, the fade time is short, or some balance of the two. But a small change over a long period of time will look "steppy" as a result of some quantization limit in the dimmer/firmware/driver. This is quite minor compared to the issues I've experienced with other dimmers I've tested or functionality limits. The Inovelli dimmers in my home perform very well. When paired with Hubitat they are very capable and configurable. You should know that I do not use any smart bulbs in my home. Low PWM frequencies, low CRI, and limited light output come with them almost universally so I have avoided them.

One other mention about Inovelli — they're extremely active within this community (and within their own). I get fast responses from their support team and often see very helpful posts by one of the Erics here on this forum and elsewhere.

Regarding Lutron, while I still am intrigued to test a complete system as a result of this thread for sure I would want to jump in at the full RA2 level. I am a lighting professional (not in residential/commercial but in another industry entirely) so I would have a very hard time settling for the limits imposed by Caseta (or RA2 Select, which seems like a foolish purchase). Caseta looks to be a well made set of products but not a good fit for me. Your mileage may vary…

My exception would be the Pico remotes. If I could get "blank" Picos, laser engrave them with my own text/icons, then velcro them around the house… that would be the best (and cheapest) set of reliable remotes ever.

Turning to bulbs — as you know there are no smart bulbs in my home. Furthermore there are hardly any LED bulbs in my home either. Anywhere dimming is important (which is almost everywhere for me) I have not been satisfied with just about LED bulb. I do have a few but they're rare and on circuits where smooth dimming or precise low levels are not important. For the most part my house is incandescent and halogen. Considering this, I'm sticking with in-wall dimmers for the time being. I really like that the red series dimmers would enable me in the future to use them to drive some smart bulbs. But I'd have to be able to measure a high frequency PWM (or no PWM) driver, CRI/Ra 92+ and R9 50+, and ability to smoothly dim up/down without bumps, flashes, or any instability.

This may sound strict. My wife and I have tried compromises and we both quickly saw the problems. The LED bulbs were abandoned immediately. I am very excited by the California energy standard for light bulbs moving in this direction. Someday soon I hope to try yet another round of LED bulbs in critical areas.

Maybe that was more like $0.07…

You can do this.

2 Likes

Being literal since I know how you are @jeubanks :wink: Yes you CAN, but not with-in the bounds of the quote. Yes, blank 4 button Picos are available, they come with custom engraving, they are the best and most reliable remote ever.

They are NOT the cheepest! $70-80 a pop.

Nobody asked or said anything about it being cheap. You want custom there's a cost associated. However I think I could actually do it cheaper than what you listed.

Then again I'm not quoting this :wink:

1 Like

@jeubanks Actually he did say something about it being the cheapest which is why I had to disagree.

Do you wanna? I have a quote from Worthington I'd happily PM you to pick apart, price wise, if interested.

Ok yeah... cheapest remotes ever with standard Pico's... NOT custom!!! :slight_smile: yeah not getting a custom Pico for $15 bucks.