Lutron Controls

I am wondering if i setup lutron controls on my lutron pro hub and have it hardwired will it control the lights if the hub is down for some reason? The WAF (wife acceptance factor) says i need everything still working even if i have the hub off for some reason (both hubitat and lutron pro hub).
So with that...does it work?

also any combo units that will control both fan and lights if the wires exist?

thanks

Lutron Switches, Dimmers, and Fan Controllers will continue to function as manual controllable devices if Hubitat and/or The SmartBridge Pro is offline for any reason.

good to hear! now just want to find a combo unit like the mastro line. also willing to do non lutron stuff.

The only device that I know of that works with Hubitat to control both fan and light is the Zigbee Hampton Bay Fan Controller (HBFC) available from Home Depot. Plenty of threads already that discuss this device that you can read through. The biggest thing to know is that you MUST use a Zigbee repeater device in the same room as the HBFC.

1 Like

Lutron has fan switches now.

Yes, I mentioned that in my first response already. The OP wants a single device that can control both the fan and light.

thanks for the advice on HBFC
it looks interesting.

how does it work with the wall plug? right now i have a dumb switch that turns both light/fan on

would the HBFC turn off with the switch is flipped. Just trying to put the pieces together

Yes it would.

S.

ok so the HBFC with bulbs and hardwiring the switch with a pico in front of it (or something similar.

looks like my other options are just 2 things on the wall.
Thanks!

If you have two separate switches already, Iā€™d go with a separate dimmer and fan controller. I use a hardwired HBFC with a Pico remote in place of the old switch as I only had a single switched line to the fan.

The HBFC with hardwiring and a pico seems to be a very common solution. I've got two HBFC's in my living room, and knock on wood, nobody has turned them off since I installed the HBFCs.

I've considered a couple of Zooz Zen-21 or Zen 26's to replace the dumb switches, and just doing an If-Then condition to ensure the switch is on when my automation is set to start, but so far that seems like over engineering....so far.

S.

I suggest leaving the switch but putting a cover on it in case you ever need to reset it due to power outage like shown. I have a Pico on a pedestal that controls the fan and light.

1 Like

@mike.maxwell Any chance this switch https://www.amazon.com/Lutron-PD-5S-DV-WH-Electrical-Distribution-Switcher/dp/B00NCEMBIA/ref=pd_nav_hcs_rp_1/144-0370046-4745003?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00NCEMBIA&pd_rd_r=cd283ce0-e4a3-44d3-aebb-c31a60c7023f&pd_rd_w=KoAo6&pd_rd_wg=VS8F7&pf_rd_p=f2a0d171-b81e-4657-a077-2d303ec91b33&pf_rd_r=QQPSQYED2QAM34SX5GJR&psc=1&refRID=QQPSQYED2QAM34SX5GJR can work with Hubitat? I installed one today on my Pro Bridge with all my other switches. It paired fine to the Lutron Pro Hub and can be controlled via the Lutron App. But the device when added to the Lutron integrator does not control the device from the device page.

This switch was one of the few no neutral On/Off only switches from Lutron I had found.

does the device generate any logs in Hubitat when it's activated physically or via the lutron app?
you may have to enable debug logging on your lutron telnet device to see these if they exist...

I don't believe that's a valid Lutron part number.

Do you have the part number from the switch itself or the box? I am fairly sure the listing is using an invalid part number.

Maybe this?

If it is, I have two of them and they work fine.

It is a real product.

It used to be did as a RF switch by Lutron and is not part of their Caseta line. Although, curiously, it works with the Caseta bridge and Pro bridge.

It didn't work with other Caseta-compatible hubs though - like Wink 1.

A snowflake? To use the popular terminology.

Fair call. Here's the link to Lutron's docs on this unicorn of a switch:

Yes it does.

Edit: After giving it a while or turning on the debug. I am now able to control the device from the device page which I wasn't after initial install. So problem solved itself apparently.

The specs seem like Caseta but I don't see any mention of Caseta. Odd duck, ehh?