Lowes IRIS Transition

Thank you both... I believe I'll try "Remove this device" since further reading says that "Remove ZWave Device" is more for orphaned gadgets: they think they are paired but the hub does not see them. I don't know the analagous lingo in Hubitat, but that's not my case. The hub sees them fine. Not orphaned. So I'll go with plain "Remove this Device". Wish me luck :wink:

Just to go full circle and make sure you have everything at your fingertips....

Exclude is the single most important step for ZWave devices when migrating. A bad Exclude only shows up as a very frustrating Include on Hubitat.

As you saw, there's two Exclude methods on Iris, but the same two exist on Hubitat. Hubitat's generic ZWave Exclude would work 100% BUT without letting your Iris hub know about the Exclude. That's great if you have any reason to take the device back to Iris. (As in, you migrate something to Hubitat but it's got some flaw and while you're waiting for the Hubitat community to assist, want it back on Iris for the wait.*)

Exclude is 'universal' -- meaning it's so critical, there are many, many ways to do it. You can use your neighbor's Hub to exclude a device. One very handy device is Aeon's ZStick or if you have one: an Aeon Minimote. Both have buttons on them that initiate Exclude and are device focused... it will exclude a device when most everything else fails - or is questionable. If you're migrating a lot of devices, it's certainly easier to walk around a room with an Aeon ZStick with it blinking orange and just tap devices to Exclude them. 90 seconds later you've excluded everything in a room (the original Hub does NOT know the device vanished, by the way) and you're ready to start Including on Hubitat.

• ( Excluding a device without telling the hub will prevent the Hub from removing the device from automations, etc. To put it back, exclude again then you would run Replace in Iris' ZWave menu. Alternately you could Exclude then Include again on Iris. You get a completely different Node ID and thus none of the automations know about the new device, but picking a different deice is often pretty easy. )
1 Like

Update: So far, I've removed 1 GE zwave outlet and one GE paddle switch from Iris... using "remove this device". Then I did factory resets and... they both paired to hubitat! I'm assuming that if they pair, the devices should work in automations ok? No hidden gotchas? The dashboard is able to turn them on and off as expected. So far, so good. Now I'll try the scary devices: the Kwikset lock and the RT Thermostat...

I think that's a great test method. If Dashboard works, it will work 'anywhere'.

"A funny thing happened on my way to the Hubitat..."
So, I've been migrating my GE switches and such from IRIS to Hubitat... and installing some new ones... which causes me to shut off the power to the outlets now and then. After one of those flips of the circuit breakers, HUBITAT STOLE MY IRRIGATION CONTROLLER FROM IRIS!! It popped up in my Hubitat devices list unbidden! I mean, that's awesome, because I won't be able to function without my 12 station Orbit Irrigation controller. BUT... it's not listed as a supported device, and visiting the new device page naturally complains "No commands available for this device." Has anyone written a driver for this thing? It sure wants to be included! I always hear about these community solutions, but I can't figure out where to see what people have written. Is there a list?

@Dustyd5 Here is a thread on the Orbit 12 zone but its not working yet.

It looks like you can get one zone working with the hose controller DH but may have to wait on someone to build this out.

Here are links to the works with Hubitat and Custom DH list and Code Share

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=List_of_Supported_Devices

https://community.hubitat.com/c/basics/codeshare

I had several GE in wall z wave outlets.....I would definitely suggest removing all devices in your Iris hub before shutting it down. I have had zero issues moving compatible devices from Iris to Hubitat hub.

I'm 1 week into my IRIS to Hubitat transition and here are some of my initial thoughts:

1. Hubitat provides all the functionality of IRIS (w/caveats).
  2. IRIS, as it relates to GUI/UI, was much more user friendly than Hubitat.
  3. The Hubitat Dashboard customization is awesome.
  4. The Hubitat Dashboard, as it relates to device status, could use some work. I keep running into issues with the tiles not reporting the status of the device it's attached to. I keep having to change the Switch template color codes because they keep returning to default grey which makes identifying and using the dashboard remotely unreliable. Dashboard tiles should have a default status built in that doesn't require additional changes other than adding the tile.
  5. Setting rules in TRUE/FALSE language is cumbersome. It's easy to set-up a double negative and deviate from the intention of the rule. This isn't a deal breaker for me but it can be for many users. Some devices like switches and bulbs would benefit from a default ON/OFF type system.
  6. It would be nice to have access to the Portal via my internal WLAN. This would make it possible to configure/troubleshoot devices with a wireless laptop.

I am confused by this. I use my iPhone, iPad, and Laptop all of the time via WiFi to configure my Hubitat hub. As long as your WiFi network is on the same subnet as your wired network, it should be pretty seamless.

I also connect remotely via OpenVPN to my home network and I can easily access my Hubitat Hub's Web Admin pages by using the IP address of my hub in the URL.

1 Like

@ogiewon That's what I thought but I haven't been able to access the portal yet. I've already tinkered with my network a bit without any luck. I'll have to check again this evening and see what the issue is.

Some routers prevent users on WiFi from communicating with any devices that are on the wired network. Perhaps that is the problem you're experiencing? This is often the case with a "Guest" WiFi network. Try to PING The IP Address of the Hubitat Hub from your laptop while on WiFi. If the ping works, you should be able to connect via "http://your_hub_lan_ip_address" without assistance from the Portal.

1 Like

portal???

portal.hubitat.com is, for me, a Once-per-Hub-Lifetime visit. I register, and then never see portal again til I buy another hub. (3 so far.)

DHCP reservation means the IP address is fixed. I also have DNS internally too (bind) and I browse by name, although it works the same if I browse by IP.

Visited Portal again just now to remind myself.. but hovering over the link inside each of my 3 hubs there, it'sj ust a link to the hub's lan IP address.

What I meant by "Portal" is the admin page of my hub. I can only access it via LAN at the moment.

Oh, that’s much better :slight_smile:

@ogiewon @csteele Thanks for the help. After a bit of tinkering I determined that the wireless network profile on my laptop was set to "Public" which wouldn't let it access other devices. I am now able to access my "Portal" [Hub Admin Page] via WLAN.

1 Like

A week later I'm still unable to grasp Hubitat's interface.
It's now my understanding that a "mode" contains a set of rules or actions to be taken. Is that correct? If so, how or where do I program that set of rules or actions into a mode?

Could someone provide a step by step example? How would I make a mode turn on a light?

@Dustyd5 Use the "Flip Mode"...Flip mode is the greatest!

All joking aside you're ahead of my progress at the moment. I'm still bringing devices into HE 1 at a time and making sure I can manage their state reliably.

1 Like

LOL. Glad to know I'm not the only person who is not up and running!

That was a really bad Busta Rhymes joke...I have no idea how to configure a mode.

Mode is simply a global variable. The Mode variable can have a value of "Day", "Night", "Away", etc... You can use the "Mode" in various Applications, like Simple Lighting, Motion Lighting, Rule Machine, etc...

This allows automations to behave differently based on the current Mode of your house. For example, if everyone has left the house, you can have the Mode set to Away. You can then change a lighting automation to NOT turn on the lights if the mode is Away. Some Apps can also take action when the Mode changes. So, Mode can be used to trigger an action, or it can be used as a condition for whether or not to take action.

Mode Manager is a nice App you can use to automatically set the Mode of the hub.

Hope this helps a little. You'll get the hang of it!

1 Like