Lowe's Iris is Shutting Down

For all of those who may have purchased a hub for firmware updates, return it as soon as you can!

Dear Iris Customer:

As a valued customer, we wanted to provide an important update regarding Iris. We have decided to shut down the Iris smart home platform and related services effective March 31, 2019. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and are committed to providing the resources and support needed as you transition to comparable smart home products.

This email provides important information on the process and resources available for Iris customers. Please do not bring your connected Iris devices back to a Lowe’s store.

• We have created an online redemption process that will allow customers who have eligible, connected Iris devices to receive a Visa prepaid card to help migrate to another smart home platform.

• Upon logging into Iris, you will be directed to complete the redemption process using a customized, online tool. You will also be able to access additional information, such as redemption status and support articles.

• All Iris customers need to complete the redemption process through the Iris app or at home.irisbylowes.com/redemption by March 31, 2019.

• The online process is the only way you can receive a redemption for your already connected Iris items. Please do not bring connected items back to the store.

o Customers can return any Iris items they have purchased within the last 90 days that are not connected to the Iris platform via Lowe’s normal return policy (see your Lowe’s receipt for Lowe’s Return Policy details).

o Some customers may find the redemption value exceeds the amount owed via Lowe’s Return Policy.

• Many devices used with Iris are compatible with other smart home platforms. For example, SmartThings is a comparable platform to Iris, and to ease the transition, SmartThings’ support team is ready to assist you with the migration process.

o Some devices incompatible with other smart home platforms are eligible for redemption.

To find out more about the shutdown of the Iris platform, please read more here.

Again, we are committed to supporting a smooth transition for our Iris customers throughout this process. We appreciate your business and hope you continue to choose Lowe’s for your future smart home and home improvement needs.

I can't say as I'm surprised by this. Lowe's never, and I mean NEVER, took the development of the platform seriously. During the private beta of v2, we learned that customers were purchasing v2 hubs in stores at a time when we couldn't get devices to pair.

Oh well... We should be on the lookout for a possible influx of "homeless" or shall I say "hubless" Iris customers.

I wonder what that means for the sensors/end devices... No more firmware updates at all, I guess?

And yes... This announcement doesn't surprise me at all.

Since they're mostly CentraLite standard hardware, I would expect Smartthings to continue to at least provide updates for the motion and contact sensors. I would expect the rest to die a slow death.

Same with the v3 hardware they just came out with, probably nothing further will come of it.

I bet you can expect to find clearance deals on the rest of the Iris branded devices very soon.

Looks like everything has been pulled from the site. Wonder what the aisles will look like... still hunting for deals on motion sensors.

1 Like

No Hubitat love in this FAQ.
Once I logged in it prompted me towards a 100.00 prepaid Visa card for a hub I paid 70.something for.

Here's one interesting development....

Iris is intending to open source portions of its smart home software pending a third-party security review of the code and will name it Arcus. “Arcus” is the Roman name for the Greek goddess “Iris.” Iris wants the smart home enthusiast and developer communities to be able to benefit from the hard work and development of its platform software. The software will be part of the public domain and available for the community pending the third-party review of the code. More details will be available over the coming weeks.

An open sourced Iris?

2 Likes

Interesting...

If Lowes were smart, yeah right, they'd open source software and firmware and then continue selling hubs and devices.

Paid $50 for my Iris hub and updated all my devices. Put hub back in box as I had no further use for it. Got a redemption Visa Prepaid for $100.

Iris is now officially the best investment in Home Automation that I've made.

14 Likes

I wonder if they're going open the source for the hubs too. I've decided to keep both of my production hub just in case. I also still have the Centralite beta hub that had no branding on it too.

One thing to remember is that they have the cluster structure and code to support the older Iris devices. This might be a good path to get those supported in Hubitat.

I got $100 for my hub, nice deal, I paid less than $30 for it

2 Likes

Heck yeah on the gift card! I think I paid $25 for my hub 2 weeks ago, updated my Iris plugs so they would function as z-wave repeaters reliably, now have no use for it. Cha-ching! That'll buy me 2 more Lutrron devices :slight_smile:

1 Like

$50 profit plus an open source hub to play with and possibly integrate alongside the Hubitat...if this turns out to be the case I better run out and buy a few more iris hubs....I could use the extra money too :wink:

1 Like

This is so weird, I received yesterday an email to subscribe to their monthly plan and today they are paying me!

2 Likes

Anyone tried getting the redemption with an Iris plug, contact sensor, or motion sensor paired to the hub to see if there are credits available for those as well? I'd imagine not since they are compatible with other hubs, but maybe it's worth a shot?

For anyone trying to be sneaky (like me..can't help myself) just searching for "iris" on the lowes website brings you to the following.

So you can't buy the hub and earn some extra money like I had hoped :rofl:.

That makes sense.. I'm hoping the sensors are on a fire sale. Going to run to the local store at lunch.

@destructure00 Iris contact sensors pair and work fine on Hubitat. They include temperature sensor that is as accurate as any others. I have several I bought on clearance for almost nothing laying around just for temperature. They have good battery life and are well built. One of mine has been working in a metal mailbox for more than a year now with only 1 battery change.

But if anyone finds another refund for these that works like the hub, money and no return, I'll be happy to take any of that extra Lowes money they are handing out.

Yep, I called my co worker, he is at Lowes doing service, he tried to buy one hub and the cashier told him she can't sell the item, my friend asked why and she showed the screen, BLOCKED :rofl:

Love my Iris contact and motion sensors which I use for my mailbox, driveway, deck and front door.. now on their second (and for some, third) NY winter. Average battery life outdoors has been about 18 months. That same battery that reported -13F temps in my mailbox last January (and 114F during the summer) is faithfully reporting -3F today (I kept meaning to change it just on general principles). Even the plastic has held up well during the months of UV exposure.

Glad I have a few spares from many of the blowouts and closeouts over the last year or so.