Looking to replace LIFX bulbs, what do you guys recommend?

I’m completely fed up with LIFX bulbs, I have several hundred dollars worth of them in lamps around the house. I love the light / colour quality, but the bulbs themselves are unreliable.

The issue for those wondering, is that they don’t work well with modem wifi mesh systems. I’ve been able to get them to 90% reliability by getting an old 2.4ghz 802.11n only router and running it as an AP only.

But 90% isn’t good enough and the complete lack of support from LIFX is galling considering how expensive their bulbs are. LIFX supports recommendations to me was basically turn off all the features that make wifi 6e fast. :man_facepalming:

So I’m looking for recommendations. Zigbee or wifi is fine, but if they are wifi, they must be compatible with a modern wifi 6e mesh system.

I also want bulbs that are compatible with Homekit adaptive lighting (I never thought this was a big deal till I tried it).

Suggestions?

PS I’m in Australia, so the product must be available here.

I personally dislike my three LIFX bulbs, as they drop off our solid mesh network randomly. I am hoping that they burn out soon so I can replace them with reliable Z-WaveZigbee switches and regular low wattage efficient light bulbs.

I don't know what I was thinking when I thought that intelligent network connected light bulbs would be a great thing. Never again! Fool me once...

2 Likes

I’m so glad it’s not just me!

1 Like

The “obvious” answer is a Philips Hue bridge with genuine Philips Hue bulbs. Not the lowest cost solution, but it has been 100% reliable, works great with Apple HomeKit, Google Home, Amazon Alexa, Logitech Harmony, Hubitat, Home Assistant, SmartThings, etc… And, Philips Hue is delivering Matter Bridge functionality via their Hue bridge as well.

I know some will say that Hue is too expensive, or that they now really want all users to have a Hue cloud account now. For me, the reliability and compatibility with all major systems more than makes up for it.

YMMV, of course! Good luck with whatever you choose.

9 Likes

I removed my Lifx too - for the same reason.

I would say mine were more like 98% reliable. But on occasion they would drop off wifi... Then I had to reboot them (remove power). Then they would work great again, until they didn't.

5 Likes

I’ve got hue already and while they are reliable, they are even more expensive than LIFX but the light quality isn’t as nice IMO.

1 Like

Yep, that’s pretty much my experience, but less reliable.

1 Like

Govee has some bulbs that should provide decent color with different levels of light output. I dont own anymyself but have heard they work with the Govee integration I have.

I do have 6 different Wiz connected bulbs and they have been rock solid for me on my Google Wifi mesh system.

The Govee bulbs are cloud dependent while the wiz bulbs are able to be controlled locally. I am hoping Govee will fix that eventually though. A ton of there stuff is controllable locally now.

The thing i fear is you may not get a bulb as good as lifx for color production though.

1 Like

This is a deal breaker for me, I really try very hard to minimise cloud based devices.

I’ll have a look at the wiz options tho - I haven’t heard of them before.

That’s a concern for me too.

Philips Color and Tunable White A21 LED High Lumen 100W Equivalent Dimmable Smart Wi-Fi Wiz Connected Light Bulb, Compatible with Alexa, Google Assistant, and Siri Shortcuts (2-Pack) (9290024493) https://a.co/d/4gbjIEm

This is one of them I have.

These are the others

PHILIPS Color and Tunable White A19 LED 60W Equivalent Dimmable Wi-Fi Wiz Connected Smart LED Light Bulb, Easy Control with App or Voice, Works with Alexa, Google Assistant, Siri Shortcuts (4-Pack) https://a.co/d/6DzVZhh

The latest govee bulbs may be lan capable. I just can't confirm it. Most of their new devices support the lan as well. They have made a ton of changes to their API stuff and the documentation for the developers hasn't kept up.

1 Like

The reason I haven’t continued adding hue bulbs is the cost, here in Australia the colour bulbs are outrageously priced!

I just reached out to govee's pre-sales support to ask if any of their bulbs support LAN API. I will let you know the outcome of it.

2 Likes

Cheers

I've been very happy with my Ikea Tradfri smart bulbs.

They work great with HE. I've used them on my C7 and C8 hubs.

No idea about homekit though, as I don't do the Apple thing.

I can offer that’s Shelly bulbs aren’t much better, probably a bit worse in the reliability area . I experimented with three of them and they were so unreliable they were taken out within a week. And that was in lamps I normally wouldn’t care about. No way they would have made it in the lamps we use every day.

1 Like

I used to have constant problems because of the reliance on the LIFX cloud, but I have had zero issues since they figured out local control with Hubitat. Just give your lights static IPs and they should be fine. You can even remove them from the LIFX Cloud after they're set up in Hubitat.

I have, that isnt the problem. It's LIFX's wifi which barely meets 802.11n spec.

1 Like

Why are mine rock solid then? 18 lights, never missed a beat for around 2 years. I haven't done anything special.

Do you have a basic Wifi router or a more advanced WiFi 5/6/6e mesh system?

Dual-router ASUS AiMesh with wired backhaul... maybe not the same.