Looking Into Konnected NodeMCU

I’ve been using the Fibaro Implant (FGBS-222), mainly for its access to Dallas 1-Wire protocol temperature sensors. However, the Implant has been very unreliable, freezing up every month or so. I’ve gone to great lengths to work around its lack of reliability. Hence, I’m open to other options, and djh_wolf suggested the Konnected NodeMCU. I’m a little hesitant to jump on that, but it may be worth it. I have a few questions if anyone could help with their experience…

1. I see the NodeMCU hardware is WIFI, but assume Hubitat can talk to it via it’s hardwired (I’m on a C-5) ethernet connection on the local subnet? Looks like older HE H/W, like mine, can work with it.
  2. What driver package to use? I see Konnect has one (per their website). The there is Hubduino. Does not appear these are supported in HPM?
  3. What hardware? Konnected says they don’t sell the H/W anymore, but they recommend the LoLin NodeMCU V3. Not seeing that offered anywhere? Other options?
  4. Is programming required to setup the NodeMCU, or is it just loading modules & drivers?
  5. Is there extra H/W required for the 1-Wire interface, or is it built-in to all NodeMCU’s?
  6. Any other published resources to guide me thru setup and configuration.
    Looks like once I get it going, the NodeMCU has a lot of I/O flexibility.

*** I see the NodeMCU hardware is WIFI, but assume Hubitat can talk to it via it’s hardwired (I’m on a C-5) ethernet connection on the local subnet? Looks like older HE H/W, like mine, can work with it.**

Summary

The nodes are wifi. Basically, plug one into a computer via USB, run the flash tool to install konnected firmware. Check your phone to see available WiFi hotspots, and connect to the new konnected one, which will obviously then result in you having no Internet access on your phone tablet whilst connected to the konnected hotspot. Head to http://192.168.4.1/ which'll show a basic config screen, where you scan for your standard home wifi network and enter the password. The board will then reboot. And you'll no longer see the konnected hotspot anymore in your available WiFi networks.

Part 2 is to head to the hubitat konnected app, which you would install on your hub. Follow the prompts to add a new board, it'll spot the new board, add it, and let you set which pins are for what. Really easy.

See above for one of my hot tub boards. For your ds18b20 's it's a little odd. As you'll see from the screen above, although there's one pin assigned (one wire protocol, all the data wires from multiple sensors will connect to the single pin), the device name doesn't mean a thing. Instead, each ds18b20 will show up under Devices under a unique name which you can rename to something more useful.once you're ready.

Note that you will need to add a resistor as per the below:

If you don't do this, you will definitely have issues. Either poor/non existent readings or a failure to add the sensors to begin with. Just pop one connecting the data pin and the 3v one. If you wish to try without, feel free, but my tub sensors won't even show up without. Your call.

And that's it. They'll update every 3 mins, I do t think there's an option to alter that.
Back to your questions...

*** What driver package to use? I see Konnect has one (per their website). The there is Hubduino. Does not appear these are supported in HPM?**

Summary

The hubitat install guide at the konnected website is all yoh need. Basically, install the app and the drivers. That's it. No need for hpm etc.

• What hardware? Konnected says they don’t sell the H/W anymore, but they recommend the LoLin NodeMCU V3. Not seeing that offered anywhere? Other options?
Summary

I've found them.all over the place, Ali express, amazon etc. Search for nodemcu esp8266. Here's one hit:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=nodemcu+esp8266&crid=3BLXBNR1KDB0R&sprefix=Nodemcu+%2Caps%2C92&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_8

*** Is programming required to setup the NodeMCU, or is it just loading modules & drivers?**

Summary

No programming.

*** Is there extra H/W required for the 1-Wire interface, or is it built-in to all NodeMCU’s?**

Summary

As advised above, you need a resistor. Aside from that, all I can think to mention is that you power the board via a 5v supply. I use a 12v psu to power multiple usb-style 12v-in-5v-out adaptors. Usually 3 amp outputs I think which is plenty.

*** Any other published resources to guide me thru setup and configuration.**

Summary

Hoping this will do you, along with the standard install guide from the konnected website.
Hubitat: Install Konnected Apps

Looks like once I get it going, the NodeMCU has a lot of I/O flexibility.

Summary

100%.

You mentioned hubdino. This software is way, way more flexible allowing for hardwired devices and christ knows how many different types of sensor. Totally different ballgame to konnected and involves programming to a degree. Beyond me. I can tell it's phenomenal, but konnected was literally the reason I bought a c7 and was one of the first things I installed. It does all I need.

Here's the results of my multi room heating system, based on konnected // nodemcu // dht22 's:

Here's the outdoor hottub, using the one wire ds18b20 s... Not as polished /complex:

SmartSelect_20240604-225830_Chrome

Hope that helps. As advised in the other thread, I thought the fibaro was a POS. These however
, rock solid.

4 Likes

Thanks for the thorough reply. Looks like a good option.

1 Like

Figuring it all out. Looks like the Konnected drivers do support Contact and Water Sensor inputs and Switch/Momentary outputs! Up to 6 per module. Agree adding the 4.7K resistor is necessary, had read that elsewhere when I was ordering them.
As for flashing the Konnected firmware, is this the link for it, the "CH340 driver for Windows"?
Its a zip file with "CH341SER.EXE".

Thanks again.

I believe so.

Yes, it's ace.

Got my NodeMCU's today. Ran the CH341SER.EXE, but only get
Followed by
Close that and nothing else. What am I missing?
I think this is the NodeMCU in device manager
Thanks for your help.

Driver is installed.

Now you need to flash the firmware

I. E

Summary

https://install.konnected.io

1 Like

Ok, finally got the firmware loaded and network set. The way I had read the Konnected website instructions was you needed either the CH341 OR the web based installer, but it is both. Also, turns out the CH341 was the wrong driver. Needed the one for CP210x, under "Alarm Panel V2 & Pro"/"Windows 10 Driver" which include Win11. Also, need to put the board in download mode by holding the flash button while pressing reset.
Next to get it on HE. Thanks again.

2 Likes

Loaded everything up this morning and have one NodeMCU reporting temp & humidity!
I saw there was a poling rate option on the DHT device, but when I changed it to 1 min, did not update the node. Have a case with Konnected to see whats wrong.
Also, Konnected has a phone App as an additional debug tool.

Ok, got a reply from Konnected, they were aware of the issue, but didn't have a fix.
So I found a work around. Go into the driver code for the DHT (and the DS18B20) and change the default polling rate from 3 to 1 (at the very bottom of each)...
Once they are saved go to the Konnected app, select the device to update, click the "Next" at the bottom. That will take you to the sensor/pin configuration page. Next step may not be necessary, but I changed the device to something other than the DHT sensor, then changed it back. Finally click done. That seems to cause the whole I/O configuration for the until to be downloaded again, including the now default 1 min polling frequency. That did not impact the existing device in HE, so all of its uses did not need to be updated. YEAH!

1 Like

Ah I remember this.

At the time, I never looked into it and assumes the 3 min delay was necessary to nkt overload the board.

Forgot all about it.

Interesting fix!

Happy with everything? I'm sure you'll find it worthwhile. =)

Further progress, able to control a 5VDC relay with a "Switch" output, and read a digital input status (Open/Closed) as a "Contact" input connecting the input pin to the Gnd pin. That will let me turn things on and off, and monitor statues.
Had an issue with the 2nd NodeMCU card, could not download the firmware, kept getting errors. The 3rd one downloaded without issue. So looks like I have a bad card to return and replace.

1 Like

Looking into this option as an ESP newbie. When this thread suggests that the nodemcu esp8266 and Konnected temp probe is the only hardware needed (plus a 5V power supply), does that mean that the nodemcu esp8266 is a fully contained unit that does not need to plug into anything else? It looks like some sort of chip or component rather than a complete unit? Or at least maybe it would need some sort of box, no?

EDIT: This video gives a good visual of what's needed, as well as an enclosure option: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-CH5v2uscA

Also, can a single board run two separate temp probes, or would i need two boards for two temp probes?

EDIT: Answered here

When you say run the flash tool, do you mean the konnected online flash tool? It doesn't give an option for the nodeMCU hardware if so, but do you select different hardware all the same?

Or do you mean the advanced command line tool? If so, which build do you use for the nodeMCU (again, nodeMCU isn't listed)?

Thanks!

EDIT: Ok, I had skipped over reading a number of posts above - they got me going in the right direction (the tool is the online tool, not the advanced command line tool). The posts above were pretty much on point still, except that it seems you now have to select your hardware rather than the online tool auto-detecting it. But there's no nodeMCU hardware as an option. I selected the Alarm Panel Pro board but everything installed ok and connected up to Hubitat!

1 Like

Yeah! That was a little confusing and caught me the first time thru.

1 Like

I mentioned this in my earlier post, I think :smiley:

Just getting to testing the DS18B20 sensors. Have on working!
Question, how do you define multiple DS18B20's in the driver setup on Pin D3/Device name? No option for number of sensors to configure.
Just list them in the field, space or comma separated? Couldn't find it documented anywhere.

You physically connect them to the same pin. Then set the option to ds18b20.

It'll automatically add them as new devices once an update is received (within 3 minutes).

Ignore the device name you set in the konnected app - it's irellevent. Just check your standard list of devices in hubitat and you'll find a few oddly named ds18b20 sensors which you can happily rename as you usually would.

I. E.

I just haven't ever bothered renaming that one. Had it for years.

Hope that helps.

Thanks. Saw the 1st one pop up with the odd name, different than what I had assigned.
Now it makes sense, it just creates devices for the sensors it detects on the network.

I can’t seem to get my temp probes to report temps, so Konnected isn’t creating any device for them. The konnected nodeMCU board registers just fine with the konnected app, but none of the temp probe devices are being created as child devices. Does my circuit look right?? (The parallax in this pick makes it seem like I’m connected to GND and RST but it’s actually 3V3 and GND)