Looking for way to push notifications to dashboard tile

I want to be able to use a virtual notifications device, so I can send it notifications from other apps, but instead of sending it somewhere the driver will just log it in an attribute to display on a dashboard. I am thinking it would keep as much history as possible.

It sounds like possibly an easy driver to make but I cannot imagine someone has not done this already? I search around and found a tip to use FollowMe, which I investigated but it was WAY too much and complicated for just this one purpose. I could not even figure out how to use it for what I wanted.

1 Like

Follow Me is what I have used in the past, but don't use it at the moment (only because I don't display notifications on a dashboard ATM). It may be worth reaching out to Bryan to ask him about what you are trying to do.

I currently do this with Hub Variables > Connectors > Tile or Tile Template Generator, linked to a Device Tile (former care) or an HTML Tile (latter case) in hubiVue. This setup is simple and works for most Notification types I'm interested in seeing on a Dashboard.

It further offers the advantage of "History" because HV value changes get recorded in Logs.

I would rather make my own driver than use that monstrosity of an app (FollowMe) for this single purpose. I am sure it works well for its intended purpose but has way more stuff in it than I want.

1 Like

Also, I see the option in the dashboards to hide the device history but how do you actually see it in the first place? Seems to be hidden as-is since I cannot even find it. If that was easy to get at I could just keep the newest in the attribute and view the history for older alerts.

@DubbyDad sorry none of that made sense to me, never have used Connectors, and tested but do not use hubiVue. I suppose I could look in the docs for the connectors part.

1 Like

I think the events are in the tile editing dialog. Sorry, not in front of my PC... If I'm right the drawback would be needing to keep the 3 dots displayed

Yes you have to edit then click history, that is unfortunate :frowning:

I tested out a bunch of other dashboard apps and was unimpressed by all of them especially considering some are not free long term. So I am back at using the built-in dashboards. For as much as people complain about them they are really easy to setup.

Trying to setup a dashboard for someone else, personally I just use the Apple Home app and love the UI on that.

Ok... so I have a driver that works, its like 99% of the way there.
How in the HECK can I get it to align to the top in the dashboard tile. I have tried all sorts of things but this style element in .title-primary seems to be overriding it.

Tried wrapping my stuff in a div tag, span, and in a table.

1 Like

What I use for this: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/thebearmay/hubitat/main/notifyTile.groovy

And the CSS:

#tile-63 {
          !important;
          font-weight:bold;
          background-color:rgb(72,166,255);
          color:rgb(249, 255, 41);
}
#tile-63 .tile-primary {
          text-align:left;
          font-size:10px;
}
#tile-63 .last5 {
          font-size:14px;
          overflow:auto;
          display:inline-block;
}
3 Likes

Of course you already made a driver to do this :wink:

And I assume you are putting that CSS on the dashboard itself? I guess that is one workaround. I was trying to do it in the attribute. The left align works in the attribute but not the top.

2 Likes

Wrote it early on - itโ€™s been on my dashboard for so long that I forget that itโ€™s not a default :sunglasses:

Ok I see, you are just setting a span class and putting the CSS in the dashboard along with the overrides for the title-property. Gives me some more things to go on. May just use your driver I like the option to limit the number of notifications. The one I made I was just letting it go until it hit 1024 chars then chopping off the last message based on the <br>

2 Likes

Could also write the contents to a File Manager local file and use an iFrame tile to display it (particularly useful if you start running into the character limit.)

3 Likes

If you want to align it to the top of the tile, I did a little modification to your CSS

#tile-XX .tile-primary {
          text-align:left;
          vertical-align:top;
}
2 Likes

J & J, could you guys maybe show a screenshot of what it is you see (or wish to see) on your Dashboard, once done? I'd love to take an alternate stab at it using my workflow.

So ultimately I wanted to take the Activity Check driver and show the report on a tile. The only way to push the info from the app is to a Notifications device.

I had to convert new lines to <br> so it would not all mash together so I just used my simple driver for this task, with no history, it just shows the most recent report.

I used the example CSS above to make it look presentable. Here is what I got, came out pretty nice.

I may do something else that uses the history with more traditional one line notifications, so for that I will use the driver from @thebearmay he posted above.

2 Likes

Nice, and I now see where you're heading.

Makes me wonder whether @thebearmay couldn't modify one or the other of his Tile Template apps to "act as a Notification endpoint" so that it's directly selectable in the Device Activity destinations drop-down.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.