Looking for recommendations on an energy monitor

Sorry, @user5035 was first in line so, he will get this toy.

4 Likes

Any sense energy monitor users can you tell me how to get a day by day number for wattage or what my highest wattage use is? Trying to calculate how much solar I would need from a whole entire house. I may be moving to a new property and would like to install solar at the new property but don't know how much solar I would need or how many watts. Your help would be greatly appreciating this matter. That's why I was hoping that we could come up with a way to integrate sense into hubitat so that I could get the total wattage per day.

Not sure about sense, but you can certainly do that with iotawatt

1 Like

I don't see anything within the app, but there is an option on the website to export data (up to a year at a time) with hourly resolution. This won't get to the "peaks" that you are looking for, but I would recommend a different approach to sizing a solar system. Hopefully update later, have a meeting I need to get to right now.

EDIT: Peaks can get REALLY high, really fast. For example, if you happen to be running the Air conditioner, electric clothes dryer, and a toaster oven at the same time, your peak will be huge. If you average that peak out over something like 15 minutes or an hour, it will still be high but much more manageable. Personally, I would go about sizing a solar/battery system based on the Always On load. This results in the smallest system, but also the shortest ROI because you will be using the full capacity of the system. Sizing a system to meet your peak load will result in the largest system with the longest ROI because you'll have a ton of capacity that is usually sitting idle.

A good "in-between" approach could be to size the system based on your average daily kWh, and some statistical number. For example, in any given year/month, 90% of the days have a total kWh of 15 kWh or less. That number (and your Always On) are fairly easy to get from Sense.

1 Like

For reference, what would be required to get this data from Iotawatt? I'm envisioning the following:

1. THe Iotawatt device
  2. A platform (Hubitat or other) to integrate the Iotawatt. Or does it have it's own "native" interface/platform?
  3. A database to store the data. Hubitat can't do this, but perhaps something like InfluxDB?
  4. Some tool to export the data into a common format like a CSC or excel spreadsheet.

I've got no experience with any of these (except Hubitat, of course) so it's a serious question. It just seems like there has to be more to it than simply "Iotawatt can do that."

IoTaWatt has a built-in webserver with both built-in reporting/graphing and the ability to dump the data into influxdb:

https://docs.iotawatt.com/en/master/graphPlus.html#
https://docs.iotawatt.com/en/master/influxDB.html#

There are Hubitat drivers already built to pull data into Hubitat.

The one from ogiewon:

And mine:

Both drivers are using the built-in API on the IoTaWatt device to pull the data. This could also be used for any other homegrown solution:
https://docs.iotawatt.com/en/master/query.html#

2 Likes

IoTaWatt has built-in support to export its data to InfluxDB, Emoncms, and PVOutput. It also has built-in store and forward, thereby accounting for loss of network communications without any loss in the data transfer.

It keeps a local copy of data on its SD card, for I believe up to 5 years.

1 Like

I was looking at this thread for what to buy, but it seems Iowatta is no longer available for purchase?

“ With recent cost increases in all aspects of production and operations, I’ve decided to discontinue the effort.”

1 Like

Wow that's really sad. Perhaps someone will take up the torch to keep making them.... What do you think @ogiewon ?

2 Likes

That would be nice! Since it is all Open Source (hardware and software), it is definitely a possibility.

2 Likes

Maybe get @dJOS to start building them :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Or perhaps to do the mod on the Emporia Vue units? Apparently there is a mod that can be done to them to make them local, but I don't have the skills for that.

Is this for certain?

1 Like

It's definite but he will do warranties and support accessories.

Hehe, I’m so behind on my current projects ATM, maybe I’ll take a look in July.

1 Like

:open_mouth: good thing I pretty recently ordered (and received) one…

3 Likes

Emporia Vue is a great device, although not compatible with Hubitat

Seems like they're still shipping 120v kits:

They connect single, split-phase 120/240VAC, Input Power Rating

100-240VAC 50-60Hz

https://www.emporiaenergy.com/how-the-vue-energy-monitor-works

1 Like