Looking for recommendations on an energy monitor

I was thinking about Sense. How does it work whit hubitat?
I need Total power usage and eat individual appliance use.
But I would be guessing on which breaker is which appliance breaker box is not labeled correctly.

Hi. Another Sense user here. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of a Hubitat integration.

FYI I also use Home Assistant, which has a Sense integration. I'm testing routines that look at my solar production to determine setpoints for my two thermostats. My goal is to use solar power when available (and when grid power is expensive) to run my two heat pumps. It would be so much easier with only one heat pump to control!
I'm thinking of making a longer post once I think things are working well.

Best wishes!

I bought the sense rebranded by Schneider electric last night on eBay. How would I integrate it into hubitat now is there a custom driver. I'm not good with Linux commands and setting stuff up on a raspberry pi is not my strength it is my weakness.

As @doug_phoenix said above there is no Hubitat integration, you would have to set it up in home assistant and then bring that into HE via virtual switches.

2 Likes

That highlights that there's no direct integration with HE and that folks are bringing it into HE through Home Assistant.

So, you would need a device to run Home Assistant (just setting it up can be cumbersome), then setup the integration in Home Assistant, and then use something like [RELEASE] Home Assistant Device Bridge (HADB) to get the data into HE. Or just leave it in Home Assistant and run dual systems for reporting/monitoring.

Or return it and get the Iotawatt.

2 Likes

This.

Why let some proprietary AI guess about your energy usage when you could actually measure it? And integrate directly with Hubitat locally over your LAN.

3 Likes

Cancel your order or return it ASAP and get Iotawatt.
I was using Sense for about a year+ and finally replaced it with Iotawatt. I am in the apartment complex. I tried Sense only because it was not easy to install something in the electric box. Sense is an expensive trash. In addition Sense has no integration with HE but Iotawatt has a very nice HE driver(s).

1 Like

I wouldn't call it trash, but don't count on device detection to work very well. If the price was right, I would keep it. While device detection is hit and miss, the whole home data is valuable and you get a decent app and UI with no effort on your part. If you do keep it, i would recommend getting a couple Kasa smart plugs to play around with as well.

3 Likes

And extremely accurate.

SenseLink permits energy data from other smart plugs to be used as well.

3 Likes

I’m going to differ, but agree at the same time. I have Sense and three Aeotec v1 HEMs. I was advised by many not to buy Sense, but after purchasing, returning and then buying again, I’m satisfied with it.

For anything that I want instant and 100% reliable reading to indicate the on/off state of a dumb appliance, I use one of the clamps from one of the Aeotec v1 HEMs.

For overall energy use and easy tracking with historical data (and a few individual devices that it has been able to reliably identify), I use Sense. I also own the solar version, which can track Solar production, but I don’t have solar panels. I instead configured the extra included clamps to track my EVSE consumption. That way you don’t have to hope that it will find your EV charger (something Sense warns they may not always be able to do reliably because of how EVSEs work).

Sense is supported by Home Assistant and if you want to use triggers, you can export Hubitat virtual switches to HA to accomplish this. I was using this method, but it’s slow and sometimes Sense would not properly identify a device that had turned off.

3 Likes

OK, Sense is good for the reporting whole house consumption and potentially two extra loads.
But it is still cloud-based (this is no go in my case) and has limited integration with HE with the help of Home Assistant.
I don't see how Sense can compete with Iotawatt and why someone will chose Sense vs Iotawatt.
I tried Sense but did not like very first minute it was installed.

1 Like

Agreed. I had an HEM v5 but I was very limited (2 clamps) and it was a bit flakey with currently available drivers. I got turned on to iotawatt by @ogiewon and have been extremely happy since.

3 Likes

The reason I went with the Schneider electric rebranded sense was for the ease of installation and the cost. Now trying to find a way to install it into hubitat without using a node server I currently have a SmartThings hub running in my house and have a few devices being passed to hubitat. I've looked at a few solutions but they require running a server of some sort I understand that since does not have a native API at the moment that I know of. Still looking for solutions.

What are you planning to automate with this? With device detection being so hit and miss, there are limited opportunities for reliable automations.

I would get the meter installed and just test drive it for a month or two. Then see if it's worth the effort to get it connected to Hubitat.

I actually removed mine from Hubitat/Home Assistant just because I didn't really do anything with the data and it was causing stability issues with Sense.

4 Likes

I checked the board and really, outside of using Home Assistant with virtual triggers, I don't see how you're gonna do it.

I hate to keep beating a dead horse but once you get to the point of installing the sense, the work of that or Iotawatt is about the same.

You can currently buy the Iotawatt with 2 mains and 10 additional ct clamps for 315 with the ability to add additional clamps at about 20 each.

Direct integration with HE and local control with the benefit of dead on usage reporting. I just don't understand not using Iotawatt.

2 Likes

Now that you'll be a Sense user, I'd recommend you head to the Sense community for help and questions. There are couple of really helpful users over there that can help get you off to the best start possible. And feel free to PM (@dylan.christopherson) me on that site as well. I only check in there once a week or so, but I'll help where I can.

1 Like

I would very much appreciate a step by step of how you created this graph via webcore. I've never got my head around graphing.

=)