Looking for light switch

Looking for good cheap light switches need to buy 20 of them or more. Compatible with hubitat Your recommendations will be helpful

Zooz.

Cheapest route is through The Smartest House.

5 Likes

Shoot them an email from The Smartest House site, and ask if any possibility of a discount on a bigger order. No promises, but costs nothing to ask. Zooz is solid stuff.

2 Likes

Any other suggestions for makes and models?

Besides Zooz, there are many other manufacturers of Z-Wave switches/dimmers: Jasco (sold as Jasco/GE/Honeywell), iNovelli, EVA Logik, Minoston, Aeotec, Neo Coolcam, ....

But I don't think you'll find them at the same price as Zooz products on thesmartesthouse.com

There's an equally large number of zigbee manufacturers for switches/dimmers, but none of them approach the price that Zooz has.

You might find switches/dimmers for cheaper prices on AliExpress - but these will come with out UL/ETL/CE certification.

2 Likes

This.

2 Likes

If you do go with the Zooz switches, keep in mind that some support a "smart bulb mode". If you plan on having tuneable white, or colour bulbs at some point, dimmers with smart bulb mode would be some good future proofing.

Also, dimmers can be switches, but switches can't be dimmers. :wink:

2 Likes

I was thinking $10 a switch. If there's any out there at cheap!!!

You can use in-box relays that will work with your existing switches. Many of them, like the ones linked below, claim to be CE listed, but I don't trust that ....

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804184918003.html

1 Like

I want to stick with light switches if possible.

If you can find anything at that price point, I wouldn't trust it from a safety standpoint -- it most definitely won't be certified by any legitimate testing agency.

3 Likes

What @hydro311 said. I think it will be impossible to find something that is UL/ETL certified at that price point. Using switches that are not UL-listed could also be problematic from an insurance perspective.

2 Likes

I have a couple wemo light switches that work okay. I hate tuya crack since it's most of it is cloud-based.

I thought about smart light bulbs but then if I add a fan then how would I approach my setup. I would like to be able to turn the fan on or off or the light bulb on or off.

Answering this requires knowledge of how your fan/light is wired. With proper wiring, i.e. a common neutral with two load conductors, the best practice would be replace a fan/light combo switch with a fan speed-control switch, and a light dimmer.

1 Like

Basically I am redoing a house and need a diagram and a suggestion for switches?

Then you'll have to replace/cover up your existing dumb light switches and add Zigbee or Z-wave buttons to control the bulbs...no money saved that way, and looks clumsy.

Amazon has two-packs of GE Enbrighten Z-Wave switches for $52. Unless you can get a quantity discount from Zooz I don't think you'll find anything of acceptable quality/safety much below that price-point.

GE Two-pack switches: $52/2
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X84WRGR?ref_=cm_sw_r_apan_dp_CWZG4J6N444V4X8K8MDG&th=1

Ultra Pro (same HW as GE) 2 pack dimmers: $49/2
https://www.amazon.com/UltraPro-QuickFit-SimpleWire-Assistant-39351/dp/B08MDF5MSB/ref=sr_1_5?crid=267C21ZGS45Z8&keywords=z-wave%2Bdimmer%2Bswitch&qid=1682376212&s=hi&sprefix=z-wave%2Bdimmer%2Bswitch%2Ctools%2C171&sr=1-5&th=1

I've had Wemo switches in the past and over time found them not to be worth having, replaced them.

HA is unfortunately not a cheap hobby...if you want to manage what you spend, think about prioritizing what you really "need" to automate and start there. I have switches in my house that I've automated, and in the end found that I use them so infrequently that putting in the smart switch was kind of a waste of time/money. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Are you rewiring a house?

Tell your electrician to run 14/3 Romex to your fan/light combo, and that you will be using separate fan and light switches, so you'll minimally need a dual-gang workbox for each fan/light combo.

1 Like

I'll be the electrician.

Charge yourself a shi_t ton for the electrical work, and then you can afford more switches! :wink:

OK, that wasn't really so funny ... :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The instructions don't change. A fan/light combo should have 14/3 wiring run from the workbox to the fan/light. Running 14/3 permits the use of a common neutral conductor and separate load conductors for the fan motor v/s the lights.

1 Like