Looking for light switch

Run neutrals to all the switch boxes (per code), and follow @aaiyar's advice for fan wiring.

Then you're future-proofed, so if budget is a concern, just put in whatever (good quality) smart switches you can for now, and swap out more dumb-for-smart later as budget permits.

You don't have to solve for the 100% smart solution all at once - unless you're mad rollin' in money, that'd be a tall order for any homeowner.

Most of us here built our smart home in small chunks (even device by device) over a period of several (if not many!) years.

2 Likes

@user5035

This is rock-solid advice.

2 Likes

that's gonna be hard to find a reliable and safe product at that price point. most reputable switches i find are around $30 on the regular, and may go on sale for cheaper, but not $10 cheap.

might be better for you to do smart your most used rooms, and build out the other rooms when the wallet allows

3 Likes

Seeing a pattern here... :smiley:

3 Likes

That's not a two pack...where are your glasses? :laughing:

That's a three-way setup, so one 'smart' switch and they're stupid proprietary 'add-on' switch.

1 Like

There's also a two-pack for the same price on Amazon.

2 Likes

Ah...found it: https://a.co/d/c6zclzQ

I still think the Zooz are a better deal. A lot more configurability and hard to beat ~$20.

4 Likes

Oops...wrong linky. :slight_smile: I had both saved but shared the wrong one...updated.

2 Likes

Agreed.

1 Like

Yup - they do actually have a nice sale going on right now that does make them very attractive:

3 Likes

Good luck. You won't get anything worth using at that price point (my opinion). At least not new... Maybe comb ebay, the HA forums, etc and see if you can pickup some 2nd hand ones?

2 Likes

If I use something like this how would I wire it up to control the fan or the light or both at the same time

Screenshot_20230424-192841~2|690x487

The dual in-wall relay that you linked to (shown below) should not be used with a fan. Fan speed control switches are very different from light dimmers.

This will burn a fan motor .....

Read the instruction manual. It comes with a wiring diagram to control two independent lighting circuits.

1 Like

My GE/Jasco toggle switched house has been holding up.

I think I might regret that I didn't go all dimmer, and maybe paddles, or whatever that's called.

Should I? Could the relayed toggles be more robust?

Something like the one I pictured. I want separate fan control and separate light control. So when I tell Google to turn the bedroom light on fan stays on or when I tell Google to turn the fan off lights stays on or when I say turn bedroom ceiling off both go off. Is it possible. To do on the cheap side so that I can still use the light switch and no matter what position it is in control still work with Google or Hubert.

As has been mentioned, that drastically depends on your wiring and the ceiling fan itself.

If you only pull 14-2 for the fan, wall switches are out. If the motor for the fan is DC, most likely speed control from a switch is also out.

You cannot use a standard dimmer for a fan regardless. They aren't rated for that type of load.

You're trying to put the cart before the horse. If you know what fan you'll be installing, then post that here. If you know for sure that you can pull 14-3, then answer that as well and we can help.

3 Likes

If your fan has a remote, you can use this. No changes in wiring required. But you'll need a Broadlink RM4 Pro.

2 Likes

Always shop on eBay so what is my best option? I was thinking about getting some used WeMo devices.

You want cheap or good, you cannot have both in my opinion. I always recommend Lutron Caseta because they're tanks. I've never had one go bad and I've never even changed the battery in a PICO in my oldest which is around 12 years. They are roughly 50 bux a switch but wholly worth it. Next would be Zooz and Inovelli. Both great z-wave switches. Next I would look at Enerwave. Simple but they work. (Z-wave) Bottom of the barrel are the Jasco/GE. I only say that because they're caps have a tendency to blow. Some have no probs with them at all. You won't find z-wave/zigbee switches at a $10 price point. It just doesn't exist. I'll also say the old adage "You get what you pay for" applies tripply so for iot.

2 Likes

Gosund Smart Dimmer Switch Smart WiFi Light Dimmable Switch 4Pack Brand New

would it work whit hubitat?