Local Files in Rule 4.0

I curious if a hub backup will also backup the local files folder too?

No, it does not.

1 Like

Okay thanks. That makes sense.

"It is possible for rules to pass information to each other by referencing the same local file"

Oh wow... you gave it a long-term memory, so now it has CONTEXT, which simplifies rules no end!

Thanks!

Rule Machine already had that with Global Variables. They can be used by any rule. And, quite frankly, they are more useful than local files. You can do math and logic with them, for example, and time calculations.

2 Likes

Thanks, I will.

1 Like

I think I'd rather have a doorbell that sounds like a shotgun.

and then the police kick down your door.

1 Like

Can RM be given the ability to rename a local file?

No, there is no means to do that. But, you could create a new file with the contents of another, and then remove the first one.

Not sure if that will work for GIFs?

Trying to dynamically change the background (.gif) of a dashboard with the weather forecast. 75 and sunny =beach scene, rain=rainy day scene, 90+ = desert scene, etc.. Looking for a way to have it replace the file, since I cannot alter the name (without editing the dashboard).

I know you some here think of dashboards as more "control" but I think of them as quick ways for the system to give me lots of information at once. With a simple glance I can know most of what is/has/will happen in my home in the near/recent future/past. I continually look for ways to improve my homes ability to "speak" to me while still remaining silent (wife does not want to hear Alexa all the time, or ask her stuff).

Thanks tons for all your efforts keep up the great work!

1 Like

@JustinL was working on something like this. Maybe he has an idea for how to accomplish it.

2 Likes

I believe he did it with a custom app and an endpoint, not using file manager.

1 Like

Yep, that was my recollection, too. I figured that it looked like local files wouldn't do it but maybe @JustinL's method could be made to work for what @TechMedX is hoping to achieve.

1 Like

I can look into if this can support GIF too. I suspect it can. Your use case is exactly the reason why I developed this.

3 Likes

There's already an app for that. Search is your friend.

1 Like

You mean the one right above your post? Good eyes :eyes: are your friend :rofl:

You should have waited 12 days to post that. You need a sense of. Timing. For humour :rofl:

With this addition please allow for uploading our own SSL certificates! I don't want to be using http!

@bravenel
FYI
maximum single file size is 52 mb (53 mb fail) aprox 42 minute audio file.
Any larger and you will get { } and the hub may lock up (depending on how big the file is)
Tried on a C3 and 2 C5 hubs not that it should matter.