Local Control Options for MyQ Garage Door Openers

So I found out I've got one GDO that's got the Security + 2.0 :frowning:

I ordered a Garadget... Can I have both the wall GDO button and the Garadget wired to the same wires that run to the GDO?

Yes.

3 Likes

Found the answer to my PIN (lock) question in the Zooz Garage Door App thanks to seeing the post from @HAL9000 responding to another member.

Now I just have to get the MHCOZY relay wired up and hope it works as a relay in the Zooz app. I created a placeholder virtual relay and it let me select it, so there is hope.

@jasonbalsor could you explain what terminals you connected the wires to on the Zen17 relay? Or just snap a shot of it? Ordered the same thing but am not entirely clear how to wire it up....

1 Like

Did you order the zen16 or zen17? If 16 they have a picture of the wiring here and it will operate 3 openers.

If the 17 you will need to use the NO terminal and C for each opener, will only operate 2 with the 17.

2 Likes

This. Thanks!

1 Like

I just found ONE of my problems - my SmartSense v4 multisensors were always saying "closed"! That was confusing the Zooz GDO because after an open (when the door actually did open) the multi reported closed and then Zooz GDO assumed it was right and sent failed to open and changed status back to closed - even though it was open.

The fix was simply to send a configure to the multisensors - then open and close a couple of times, now it reports correctly! SmartThings Multipurpose Sensor - #2 by halfrican.ak

Will have to depart/arrive a couple times and see how the automations work now. I still see one issue - which is a door in a "stopped" state is never handled by Zooz GDO - if it is stopped near closed position and zyz reports closed Zooz thinks it is closed. If it is stopped after xyz reports open it reports open. That causes logic issues because next closed contact will ALWAYS start closing action.

I suspect a potential, partial solution would be using 2 contact sensors and if neither sensor is closed report a "stopped" state, but not sure the Zooz GDO knows anything but open/closed.

Gave up on Zooz GDO today in favor of testing Garage Door Opener App - LGK Virtual Garage Door - Get Help / Apps - Hubitat - looks like it handles things better, though still not 100%.

@hydro311 You've mentioned you use reed sensors to detect open/close - what sensors are you using? Where are they connected? I might be able to solve my "stopped" status if I use 2 fully open/fully closed sensors instead of the tilt I'm using.

When I used a MIMOLITE to control my garage door, I used this reed door sensor:

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Security-Rolling-Contact-Magnetic/dp/B07F5WKS4N/

1 Like

Yeah, the stopped-part-way scenario (intentional or more important to me, unintentional) is the main reason I went with 2 dumb reed sensors (1 for full-open, 1 for full-closed)...

I wanted to always be able to validate that one or the other of those sensors was closed (outside of intended movement of course) - that then confirms for me that the door is for certain in its intended position.

The Zen 17 works great because I can tie in those two reed sensors separate from the (opener) relay itself -- that isn't possible with the Zen16. In reality, the Zen 17 really just gives me the advantage of managing the sensors and the opener relay from a single device (so just one thing to power out there vs several things!).. ButI don't use the Zen17 itself to no-kidding "integrate" or marry up the sensors to the relay. Hopefully that makes sense?

I used these reed sensors, but any decent-looking ones should be fine. I wired everything with 18-2 t-state wire because I happened to have some extra, but basic bell wire would be fine too.

To make the 2 reed sensors work with a GDO app (I use Zooz's myself), I thought about getting creative with making a virtual contact sensor, but I just decided to use the fully-closed sensor as the position indicator for the app - works fine for that purpose. I then have rules for stuff like "if one sensor opens, wait ~15" to verify the other one closes - if not, alert me".

And because those sensors aren't directly integrated to / dependent on the relay, I get those kind of position-related alerts no matter how the door is opened (z-wave, wall switch, or dum car remote)

For my dashboard, I have the Zooz GDO app "button" for remote operation, but I also have a tile for each reed sensor -- if both are red (open) ~15" after opener action, I know I got a problem!

I realize one way to solve my door-position paranoia would be to install a camera, but this is out in my detached garage where wifi is super spotty, and I just don't have any interest in adding an add'l wifi beacon out there just for that.

This setup has been great now for the few month I've had it up & running. I think (hope!) the dumb reed sensors will additionally be a more durable sensor solution since my detached garage sees a wide swing of crazy weather conditions up here in MN!

1 Like

Nope, you lost me on that piece... I believe the answer is to have 2 contact sensors one at fully closed, one at fully open and wire them to S1/C and S2/C on the Zen17 (which will report back). Then continue to use R1 NO/C to trigger the door itself, right? That's starting to make sense.

Now back to your idea of using a virtual contact sensor - I'm liking that idea because we can capture the "not fully open" state and then know the next button push MUST close the door. Wondering if anyone has a vGDO device that has "stopped" state already?

Next, does anyone know if we can use R2 NO/C to turn the GDO light on/off? or does that side also require another Security 2.0+ adapter? AND, anyone know how fast we can effectively "flash" the R1/2 relays on Zen17?

It's understandably confusing! Overall, mine is wired as you described. But I set up the Z17 in HE like this... "Contact Sensor" as Input Type for 1 & 2, but I "Disabled" both of the Relay Input Triggers - this effectively disconnects the sensors from the opener relay (i just have one door, so only use 1 relay). That "disconnect" capability is unique to the Z17 as compared to the Z16.

I too have been curious to find a "stopped" or otherwise in-between status for a virtual contact sensor that combines 2 physical sensors, but no joy yet - that would be cool!

I don't know much about your remaining questions... My GDO just has a single bulb, so I don't rely on it for any helpful light. Instead, I wired a few of my shop lights over the 2 bays to a dumb hard-wired ceiling-mounted motion sensor - that way I get good-enough light for quick comings-&-goings (via car or just me grabbing something out there). The rest of my interior garage lighting (work bench etc) is on a Caseta wall switch out there.

I know hammering the relay isn't great - my z-wave reaches out to my garage reliably, but it's not super robust. When I first set it all up and was cycling it a lot during testing, it would get "backed up" and confused. Not sure how to mitigate that very well though.

1 Like

One last thought here, though I may be risking misinterpretation... You can use the Basic Z-Wave Tool to edit one of the parameters not available in the HE default driver. It's the Auto-Off Setting parameter for the relay - I set mine to go auto-off in 1" so that pressing the relay button then mimics the momentary-switch behavior of the wall switch or dumb remote.

Here is what I did for Flashing lights.

I just tested my door. If I open it and stop it.
I get an error with MyQ app. Door has been stopped
If I hit the button again it closes.
If I don't let it close and hit the button again than it will only open to original starting point (stopped the first time). Get another error with MyQ app that the door has stopped.
I don't see what you are seeing or I'm not expecting what you are expecting.
To be honest other than beeping and flashing lights it works just as good or better than the MyQ integration.
I'm sorry I couldn't be much more help.

1 Like

The Garadget button has a side button that operates the light. I actually just got done soldering a second wire to that button so I can independently control the light. I plan to disable the motion and entry sensor toggle of the light and will use motion and Lux to control when the light comes on via relay “pressing” this side button. I am expect a 2 channel zigbee relay tomorrow, currently have a single, and plan to have one control the door and the other control the light.

1 Like

Did you subscribe to Rboy apps on ST? If yes he has a garage door app that has an acceleration sensor option and has closing and opening states. Might be worth to test it if you have access to it. It runs fine on HE.

2 Likes

FWIW, I received my MHCOZY 1 channel relay today and got everything tested and installed.

Had the same trouble as @DarellCraighead with my ST multisensor and used the same method to correct it. I had just migrated my C5 to my C7 Sunday using Hub Protect and was sure I had reset it along with ~50 other zigbee devices, and checked it then but it was constantly reporting closed. I reset and repaired it again and it didn't change. Doing the configure on it fixed it. I changed it to defaults then back to GDO sensor but I'm not convinced that made a difference.

Anyway, using the Zooz GDO app and set to a Lock Device, I was able to get Alexa working as well after changing the device settings to allow app control and voice control for locks.

Since it's a MyQ setup, I do still have the app if I really want to be certain, but I also have it connected to Amazon Key and have a camera in there, so I'm confidently getting the status.

P.S. I mounted the MHCOZY in an old 8mm data tape cartridge case after clipping off the long leads and putting some Kapton tape on the exposed circuits. Had to cut a hole for the relay to stick out to get the cover closed. Velcro to the GDO braces and parallel wired into the GDO door control.

If anyone has a repo of this app, please post up a link.

Rboy is a SmartThings developer who charges a license fee to gain access to his “device handlers” (what we call drivers in HE) and apps. Unfortunately the license prevents sharing of his code. Here is a link to the details on this app if you want to learn more.

2 Likes