Local Control Options for MyQ Garage Door Openers

I'm using the ZEN17 for this and it's flawless. I just noticed that my MyQ integration wasn't working today and happened across this thread. Luckily, I had already set up my ZEN17 so no loss in functionality. I had both solutions going for some reason, but I guess this seals the deal and I get to get rid of one more app on the C5!

Zooz also has a ready made app to replicate garage door functionality so it's very very easy to set up automations. My only other advice would be to also purchase a tilt sensor (I'm using a ST multisensor) to provide physical status.

2 Likes

If you don't want to solder in remotes, and wish to wire something directly to the garage opener terminals, you can use a Universal Security+ 2.0 Interface Module.
https://www.creativeaccesssolutions.com/Universal-Security-20%E2%84%A2-Interface-Module_p_13.html

This is exactly what I use between a Fortrezz MIMO2 and our Liftmaster openers. I also gave up on the Linear/GoControl devices. They die and behave weird after a couple of years.

There is also an app/driver from Zooz to make the MIMO's simulate garage door devices.
https://community.hubitat.com/t/release-zooz-garage-door-opener

1 Like

I took a completely different route. I installed a MyQ Home Bridge to connect it to HomeKit. My door opener was already MyQ/WiFi enabled, so this was a small step.

I connect it to HE via Homebridge. I have a several devices that only speak HomeKit so it just made sense for my situation. I already had Homebridge up and running. It was actually pretty easy to get installed and the integration to HE configured (via virtual devices exposed to HomeKit via Homebridge).

2 Likes

MyQ was working great for me until today… (Maybe they’re implementing the change in batches?) So I also had to implement a new solution tonight.

I happened to have a spare Shelly Uni and set up une of the relays as a trigger for my garage door. It works great! The only disadvantage is that there is no more blinking / beeping notification. (I could probably figure something out for that…)

Used this app to bring it all together:

Took me a few tries to get it up and running, but it works great! I setup the driver to automatically turn off after 1s.

1 Like

Interesting to hear you prefer the blinking/beeping but I guess it probably would be a valuable feature for the majority of people now that I think about it.

Getting rid of the blinking and especially the two minutes of annoying beeping were some of the biggest reasons I moved away from the MyQ service a year or two ago via similar dry-contact approach.

5 Likes

Here's a nice MyQ multi-door write-up:

2 Likes

Thanks. I did order the 3 button remote from Garadget and the 2 zone ZigBee dry contact.

2 Likes

Replacing the MyQ solution with the ZEN16 worked beautifully. The instructions here worked without issue.

The ZEN16 will only work [update: following the instructions you cited] with an opener that has a simple momentary contact wall switch. So you had MyQ retrofitted to that technology of opener, correct? The ZEN16 won't work with an opener that has MyQ built in [update: following the instructions you cited] .

Right. I have a simple old school button as the opener on the wall. The MyQ was a later retrofit, so moving to the ZEN16 was easy in this case. Not sure if my case is common or not, but at least for this situation, it was rip and replace.

1 Like

I bought one of these for similar reasons. I have to say it is by far the biggest piece of sh!t IOT devices I own and use. And it's way overpriced. Most of the time the Apple Home app shows "No response" even as the MyQ app has no problem controlling the doors. There's an AP in the garage. And setting it up was a giant pain. The negative reviews on the Chamberlain site (sort by most recent) are on the right track. Having said that, when it works, it works OK.

Mine was easy to setup, and it has worked great. As with all devices YMMV. One of the fantastic things about HE is there are many ways to solve the same problem. How did you end up incorporating you Chamberlain door opener into HE?

That really only applies if you are trying to wire the ZEN16 directly to the opener itself. Instead of wiring it to the opener, wire it to the remote/wall button directly. At the end of the day, if you're pushing a mechanical button, there's always going to be a physical circuit you can bridge.

3 Likes

I do not as getting a garage door into HE is not that important to me. The opener has an auto close feature that closes the door after 10 mins (adjustable). I would never automate a garage door opening event. I've settled on using Apple Home for phone control, so that works some times. The MyQ app works even when Home doesn't. If I really wanted to get it into HE, I'd probably use Home Assistant as a bridge as their developer(s) seem to keep on top of MyQ changes.

Yes, you are correct and I should have been more clear. I was replying to the post that said following the ZEN16 instructions here worked without issue. In that context, it won't work without issue if the opener has MyQ built-in.

The workaround of wiring inside the wall control (or a remote) is already being discussed in this thread.

I've got the Garadget button with wires already soldered to the button on order - $19 shipped and have an existing relay to use with it. I like this solution. In addition to not having to mess with the existing control, you don't even have to install it at the opener or at the wall switch (if you get the one that is a remote control rather than the wall switch). It should work from practically anywhere in the house.

2 Likes

I agree @bill.d. I only use it to make sure it is closed, along with my other exterior doors.

2 Likes

I automate the door opening for two events:

1. When I drive up in my car (so basically at least once a day). This is done based on a Samsung arrival sensor.
  2. When there’s a smoke alarm.
2 Likes

I have pondered this one. I even bought a Tailwind controller to do this. I never installed it, since their local API hasn't materialized yet (they keep saying it's on its way.)

Interesting. :thinking: That's worth serious consideration.

Thanks @aaiyar!

1 Like

The thought was to make it easier for the fire department. My garage is part of my townhouse.

2 Likes

I would agree that there are security considerations here. I think I have addressed my personal concerns to my satisfaction by doing the following:

1. For geofencing, I use OwnTracks with my Home being defined as 300 meters around my house. When my phone enters the geofence, I set a Boolean to be true for 5 minutes (after 5 minutes, it gets reset to be false).
  2. If the SmartThings arrival sensor is picked up by Hubitat during those 5 minutes that the Boolean is true, the door opens. There's a further time restriction on this - it only happens from 6AM-9PM.

My door hasn't opened accidentally in 2+ years. I think the probability of two separate events happening within 5 minutes (my phone entering/leaving the geofence AND the SmartThings arrival sensor being detected) is low.

3 Likes