Litter box warning 🚦

Wow... I've been through more cats than litter robots and they have all adapted. I assume you used all the training tricks that LR recommends... otherwise it's a $400 sculpture.

Yeah, unfortunately she had never had an enclosed litter box before and doesn't seem to like it. I tried all the tricks they recommend and anything else I could find online. No luck. I kind of use it as a disposal now where I empty the litter box into it and cycle it manually. Not ideal, but I can't get her to use it!

What a shame. I am so pleased with mine, and both cats adapted to it instantly. Only oddity I note about the driver is that Last Cleaned and Last Seen reports in GMT (rather than local time), both in Current States and on device Events page. Makes me wonder if the 24-hour math on time since last cleaning is correct (which I don’t use). Having the Drawer Level % attribute reported from the driver really makes warning rules easy.

Is there any way in the app to disable informational logging? I did it the brute force way by commenting out the appropriate lines in the app code but of course as soon as there is an app update it will overwrite my changes. Perhaps we could request this as a future enhancement?

I'm probably missing something (Still new to rule machine) But I would like to set up a rule so that when the contact opens (IE, Hubby empties the litter box), It automatically resets the drawer level. I see there is a custom action on the Litter robot driver, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to trigger the custom command in rule machine.

See my rules here:

2 Likes

I did actually change it to the more generic "litter box has been activated."

1 Like

You really need to get your indoor plumbing fixed.

These are awesome, thanks!!

I'm seeing some weirdness with what the box is reporting. I reset the gauge, but when I do it is like it is counting cycles since full immediately. Anyone have any ideas why or how it gets that?

Ok, this seems to be a timing issue, the Hubitat driver communicates to the LR cloud server, which communicates to the Litter Robot, which communicates back to the LR cloud server, which communicates back to your home (the Litter Robot mobile app and the Litter Robot driver), and the Litter Robot driver only polls the Litter Robot status once a minute. Don’t shorten the poll interval.

It may be that the two delays in the drawer open/close monitor rule are not long enough.

Part of the problem is that cutesy animation of the drawer gauge going from full to empty in the mobile app when you reset the gauge. I believe that is done in the LR cloud server, which slowly changes the drawer level to 0, so the needle moves down slowly. I believe this animation happens before the cycles after drawer full is reset in the Litter Robot.

As a comment, the 34 cycle cycleCapacity seems really large. It starts at 21 when you first get your Litter Robot, then the Litter Robot adjusts as it sees how many cycles it takes for the DFI (Drawer Full Indicator) for your cats. The DFI is an IR sensor inside the Litter Robot, just below the poop drop hole at the bottom of the globe. I’ve got a big cat, so the drawer fills up quickly with the big poop, so it takes less than 20 cycles to fill the drawer.

Open the Litter Robot mobile app. If it asks if you forgot to reset the gauge when you cleaned it last time, then that’s the problem. Reset the gauge in the mobile app. Then, after a minute, go into the Litter Robot driver, refresh, and see if the Cycles After Drawer Full (a counter in the Litter Robot that counts cycles after DFI IR sensor indicates a full drawer) count goes to 0. It’s supposed to go to 0 along with the cycle count when a reset is done. In your case, something happened too fast, so, because that count isn’t 0, it seems full.

Try editing those two delays in the drawer open/close rule to be 10 seconds each. Then see what happens next time you get close to full.

Edit:

Thor, the big pooper

1 Like

I already tried the manual reset outside the rule to get everything back to zero. Once I did that, it again started increasing the count since cycles full as soon as the cats used it again.

My husband is in charge of the litter boxes, and hates the app, so for probably the last two years never hit the reset button. They also probably need a thorough clean :confused: .

Cat tax of my kitties who for once were playing nice

Launch Meeting - Zoom

Alright, so I'm new to HE but this intrigues me. We have a litter robot and I installed the app and connected it to my LR login. So far so good.

Now what? How do I use it? How do I see the drawer level and other cool stuffs?
Can I make a tile on my dashboard with the level? That would be nice as I'm setting up a tablet kiosk.

Welcome to the community!

I hope you installed Dominic Meglio's (@dman2306's) app and driver using Hubitat Package Manager (written by Dominic Meglio, as well). HPM one of the more useful programs for the Hubitat platform because it will alert you to Community-contributed driver and app updates, and will allow you to do the updates with the click of a button. If you didn't install Litter-Robot with HPM, then, first install HPM. While HPM is, itself, maintained by HPM, you have to do the first install of HPM manually. Documentation and details for HPM are here:

Then, once you have HPM installed, do a "Match Up". That will let HPM realize that you have Litter-Robot, one of the packages it monitors, installed, and will now monitor it going forward. It will also let HPM start monitoring itself for updates. You will find HPM to be a very useful program for the Hubitat ecosystem.

I have a pair of rules that you can use to monitor the litter box, etc. This will introduce you to Rule Machine, one of the major parts of automating things in the Hubitat hub. Details of those rules are here.

If you read upthread in this thread where you posted, you will see that there is discussion about issues with the Litter Robot and my two rules. For the past week or so (Thor and Loki, my two cats, take almost a week to fill the drawer), I have been debugging and testing those issues, and I now understand what's happening. If Thor and Loki would poop faster, I could debug faster, but cats are cats.

I am in the process of writing up that report, should have it posted here tonight. At that point, I will revise the rules. I would suggest that you wait until I have the rules revised before you install the rules.

Yes you can do this now. I assume you have figured out how to create a dashboard and add tiles, so I won't go into that.

For the drawer level tile:
on the Dashboard app (not the Dashboard itself) on which you want the tiles places, add the Litter Robot device (whatever you named your Litter Robot) by checking the box, Update.

Now go to the Dashboard itself on which you want the tile to be. Click the + in the upper right corner. For the Device of the Tile, choose Litter Robot (whatever you named your Litter Robot). For the template, choose Attribute. For the "Pick an Attribute choice", pick "drawerLevel". Click Close. You may want to go back and adjust the height, width, and position of the tile by clicking the 3 vertical dots on the tile. You now have a drawer level tile that shows the % full of the drawer.

If you have the battery backup installed (I do, so the cats have clean litter during power fail), you can add a "power source" tile for the Litter Robot. Same as above, except choose "powerSource" as the source.

You can look at the code for the driver to see other attributes you can expose. Here is the Litter Robot portion of my dashboard:

I will post my report tonight about the issues and their resolution.

1 Like

Wow, we have one cat and he fills it in 4 days. He's old and drinks a lot of water and only eats wet food (he's old and toothless). Vet blood work says he's healthy. Just pees a lot.

I installed DCMEGLIO's Litter Robot code from here GitHub - dcmeglio/hubitat-litterrobot: Litter-Robot integration for Hubitat

Also per your suggestion installed his Habitat Package Manager and "Matched Up" with the litter robot app. Litter Robot App appears in my Apps list. Logged into my LR account and it says connected.

So I wanted to try adding a tile. Followed your instructions in the Dashboard App (not dashboard) and I don't see my Robot listed as a device .

So I must be doing something wrong. Should I delete the app and install it using the HPM?

I'm migrating from SmartThings. Just when I mastered ST and WebCore, we moved and starting all over with HE. So far, I like it. Big learning curve, and I'm finding I overthink things when I'm looking for them.

I stepped into Rule Machine and got totally lost. Created something that made no sense and I deleted it. I will have to search for tutorials on how to use Rule Machine as it looks VERY powerful.
One feature I immediately like better in Simple Automation compared to ST is the ability to turn lights ON at sunset and off at a specific time. ST was either Purely time on/off or sunset/sunrise. I want living room lights to come on at sunset and off at 11pm. Seems simple. I had to make 2 rules for that.

I'll play around with the LR app and see if I see something I'm missing.

1 Like

Does the litter box show up in your list of devices on the device page?

No, it's not there.

But the app seems to be installed and connected.

You could try deleting the app then initiating it again. You don't have to completely uninstall from HPM, just remove that instance and then click on the User Installed Apps to set it up again

I don’t know what you named your Litter Robot device, but that’s the name that will appear after configuring things.

Screenshot of App

Screenshots of device

In the device, give it a Device Label name, and, for Type, choose Litter-Robot. Click Save Device.

Then, in the App, select the device’s name, do the authentication, assign the app a name. Click Done.

Now go to the Apps page. You should see the litter robot manager app.

Now go to the devices page. You should see the litter robot device. If you don’t, then you won’t see it in the Dashboard app.

Then go to the Dashboard app, check the box for Litter Robot device, click update, click Done.

Did that do it?

Actually, you could do a Repair in HPM to install over what you have.

Depends on if the install is bad or the instantiation is bad. Both are probably worth trying!