Linptech in version 2.3.8.128

So I read in your update log that you added support for the Linptech Human Presence Sensor..
I have been wanting to test out a Presence Sensor as Hubatat does not appear to be compatible with motion detectors as far as maintaining presense.

So I head on over to the drivers list and search for Linptech only to find there is nothing there. What am I doing wrong? Where am I supposed to be looking?

This list might not be updated yet. Have you checked the actual driver list on your hub? It should pair with the right one when you add the device.

I cannot add the device because I do not know which one to buy. That is why I was checking the list. :slight_smile:

It is the Zigbee ES1 model.

Not sure exactly what you're trying to say, but wanted to note that motion sensors don't do "presence" on any hub, they do motion and that's by design. So if you want presence you have to use a presence sensor that is able to monitor motionless presence. :slight_smile:

Regarding the Linptech, at this point I think I'd still recommend the driver discussed in the first post of this topic:

This one:

Zigbee2MQTT called it presence instead of motion for the Linptech sensor but in HA it's called motion again once it's translated from Zigbee2MQTT to MQTT. Yeah, it's quite confusing.

I meant what it sounded like. If you try to tell HA to wait until there is 3 minutes of inactivity it does not work. Somewhere along the line it gets tripped up and continues on anyway despite the motion sensor still reporting activity. Trying to keep my bathroom fan on while I am taking a shower with the motion sensor. The lights mode sorted it out and keeps the light on.. but you cannot script it and the light mod does not support fans. And before you all start with the "but you could just do this to get around that" no I do not want to have to hack around it. I want it simple, and I want it to work. So I am going to try and switch to a presence sensor (If I can get it to only watch the shower part). The fact that it literally looks like a camera is not supper appealing but I will try it out anyhow.

Assuming you mean HE not HA (Home Assistant). Are you by chance using a Simple Automation rule for this? I had a similar issue with using SA, but forgot to report it as a potential bug. This isn’t a problem with Motion Lighting, if you wanted to try that instead.

Strange. If anything it seems like a problem with the sensor itself, not Hubitat. I don't have any problems with my motion sensor in my bathroom using a rule like that...

Here you can see that after 15 mins of inactivity on the sensor that it turns off the lights... However if you're in there it's constantly tripped if you're moving around and does not go off.

In this one for the night light it does pretty much the same thing at 5 mins of inactivity

Now if it's not detecting your movement when you're showering that may be because of a combination of placement and steam. This can be fixed by adding a second sensor in the shower itself. Then you simply use both sensors in the rule.

1 Like

As stated I am trying to do this for a Bathroom FAN which is not supported by motion lighting. And I do not wish to hack around that. And yes Hubitat (HE). Apparently for 5 minutes not 3 as I may have mentioned. I am using this rule...

I would love to use motion lighting for that. Could someone tell me how to make it control the Bathroom FAN without having to create additional fake devices and or do weird workarounds, or hack code?

I did try to report this bug previously but was not taken seriously.
I have other motion types of sensors.. I will test with those. I am currently using a "Aeotec TriSensor [ZWA005-A]". But my question to this would be.. If it works perfectly with the light mod.. why does not work perfectly with the wait command in the Rule?

When I encountered this problem a year ago I tried it with multiple sensors and that had no positive results. After failing in my reporting of the problem I gave up and switched to the Motion App. The sensor is detecting movement fine.. the lights stay on and I have watched it. And according to that rule it would need to detect no motion for FIVE WHOLE MINUTES before releasing.

So I just did some tests...
I went in and activated the motion sensor which turned on the fan.
Walked away and 5 minutes later the fan turned off.
I went in and activated the motion sensor which turned on the fan.
I wait 1 minute and go back in to activate the motion sensor (verify it reports activity)
Now what you would expect is that 5 minutes after that the fan turns off (6 minutes total).. that is NOT what happens. It turns off 4 minutes later (5 minutes total).

In conclusion.. the "Duration" does not wait for 5 minutes of inactivity. it waits for inactivity then waits 5 minutes, regardless of if there is further activity. These are very different things. I would have chose a different word to use other than "duration". And thus this command is useless to me.

This is why I have to buy a presence sensor. Although I wonder now, as this motion sensor I am using allows me to tweak the way it works.. if i can make it require a longer amount of inactivity before it reports inactive. I will play with that also.

But I still feel the command itself should be remedied.
Or the word "duration" should be changed to "delay".

To make your rule work as you want you need to use delay with cancels.

It looks like your fan is a switch. You can use Room Lighting with switches.

Literally the "duration" is a "delay" and not a "duration" so I am not sure what you mean.

Waits and delay are different as laid out in the documentation. You are using a wait. You need a cancellable delay. Room Lighting is the easiest way as you don't have to re-trigger the rule based on new motion events and can set a condition for 'becomes and stays inactive' for 5 minutes.

3 Likes

You need to make it like this rule:

Start with “cancel delayed actions”, to cancel any delayed “off” commands, then just use turn off, with “delayed” selected and the time entered for the delay.

1 Like

A wait is cancelled upon a rule re-triggering. While a cancelable delay, as suggested above, should also work, there is no reason this shouldn't (unless there is something I'm missing from the desired outcome).

To troubleshoot a rule, I would enable all logging and provide the output from "Logs," filtered to just this rule, so you (or others) can see what is happening when -- and get an idea of why. Also provide the entire rule -- including triggers, not just actions -- if it is different from the above.

2 Likes

This :point_up_2: :point_up_2: It's purpose built for this type of automation. Of course you can do it w/Rule Machine following the suggestions that are being offered as well.

Fans are supported as switches in Room Lighting:

Note that RL will not work with "pure" fan devices (i.e., those that implement only the Fan Controller capability and not something else like Switch) -- which from the above sounds like is another part of the issue here.

2 Likes

That's true, and a good clarification to add.