Lightify Garden Spot Support

I do have a OSRAM BR30 bulb that is between the hub and the Garden Spots. When I get home tonight I will try cutting power to that bulb and see if it makes a difference. I originally had cut power to the bulb when trying to pair the Garden Spots, because I knew of issues in the past with these bulbs, but I never could get the Garden spots paired. Yesterday when I finally got them paired I had not cut power to any of my devices. I only have 2 OSRAM bulbs left and only the BR30 bulb would be close enough to act as a repeater.

The only thing left I have not tried is bringing the hub right next to the receiver to pair it, just because it was more of an inconvenience.

I have to bring the hub to a few feet away to get mine to pair. Yes I take the hub outside with a long network cable and extension cord. Haha

If I recall, when researching Vera hubs years ago, they asked you to move the hub to pair Z-Wave devices, and i recall reading a post whee someone had to do this with certain devices and the ST hub. I don't think it's unreasonable where the situation demands it. Not like you have to pair the same device everyday, and if you do, that's a problem device and you either need a good repeater or a different device.

@raidflex Unless they were a smokin' hot deal or you've had them too long to return them, you could also check out the new Hue garden spots. I find the Philips Hue products to be generally solid and worry-free.

don't know, its easy to test though, power down the bulbs and see what happens after power cycling the garden spots, if however there isn't a capable router nearby, obviously they won't work.
this is why I always suggest pairing in situ, if you can't pair it in place, there's a better than average chance it won't operate in place...

1 Like

I had these working with Smarttrhings for over a year originally so I have had them for a while. Then I moved to HE and they did not pair easily so I just moved on to porting over other devices and now I am coming back to these. I believe when I originally got them I paired them inside next to the ST hub, but it was a while ago so I am not sure. I am pretty sure I paid regular price for both sets, so I prefer to use them if I can.

1 Like

Understood. I feel the same about stuff I've invested in, but also take the same attitude toward things that don't work or are problematic. I'm not opposed to keeping additional devices or servers running, as long as they serve a good purpose. Maybe just keep the ST hub running for the bulbs if you can't get satisfaction, but since others have been able to direct pair, it's probably doable, just maybe won't be easy for you unfortunately. Try @mike.maxwell 's suggestions when you get home. He's got the most experience with the widest range of devices because his work demands it.

So I powered on my ST hub and was able to re-pair the garden spots without issue, but unfortunately the problems still exist. If I try and turn them off the color changes to blue and on is purple. So at this point not sure what else I can do. They will changes colors from ST, but I have no way to turn them off anymore.

Are you able to bring it inside and pair it close to the hub? Could be a bad repeater in the pairing process.

I had the ST hub right next to the lights.

Visual check all the connections and controller. Possible corrosion or water as well.

Sorry, I should have specified next to your Hubitat. If it works on ST it might be because it has that zigbee network all to itself.

I will have to go through that this weekend, I think I may still have the second adapter/receiver because I bought two sets and just connected the lights together. It has been raining a lot this summer also.

No that was the problem it exhibited the same issue with ST now.

Oh sorry, I miss understood. Yeah, sounds like a bad receiver. I'm thinking they might not be as weather resistant as they're supposed to be. It snowed here today, time to bring mine in!

Snow already!? I do not want to even think about that yet, its barely fall here.

As a cost saving initiative we go straight from summer to winter and skip over fall. Still not too sure why I live up here...

I 'll trade you snow for Hurricane Florence! :wink: She's due to start impacting us here in North Carolina tomorrow morning, and then drag out for a few days.

But, on the bright side, I have a generator and my Hubitat Elevation hub will continue to work even without the Internet which will surely fail. It should be a good test of true local processing!

2 Likes

Ok, you win!

Maybe Hubitat could use that for advertising, local processing strong enough to survive a hurricane!

Seriously though, hopefully you don't need to test that claim.

1 Like

Hope everything will turn out OK. It sounded like a big one this time.

1 Like

Hoping you and family are safe Dan, and your house and hub aren't full of water right now.

1 Like

Thanks. We’re hanging in there. No damage to our house. Lots of rain today causing localized flooding. Generator is helping. At least the refrigerator is staying cold. Tough sleeping with it being so warm and humid.

4 Likes