LIFX Light constantly dropping from HE

I have two identical LIFX CT lights. Both have very solid connection to the LIFX app but one constantly disconnects from HE (still can be controlled from LIFX app). In order to bring this light back to HE I have to recycle power to this light and toggle few times in LIFX app.
Since this problematic light always can be controlled by LIFX app the WiFi connection must be solid. So, it looks like something is not quite right on the HE side. Is it anything could be done on HE side in order to fix this issue?

I had this issue sporadically. I would resolve it by rebooting my router. In my case, the router would occasionally stop routing multicast to one or two bulbs (at random). The issue was fixed with a new router.

1 Like

I had the exact same problem with TP-Link devices. I didn’t realize it was the router until I replaced it (Nighthawk’s garbage firmware) with a much better router and the problem was no more. Also, all of my airplay devices became reliable and my printer works every time. Just like you, a router reboot would briefly fix the problem.

Interesting. I did not even think about router. My router is RT-AX88U and I don't have any single problem with it until now with just one LIFX light. Does this explain why LIFX app still works but HE drops a connection? Also I can fix a problem by recycling power to the problematic light and not touching anything else. Does this makes sense?

Yes.

I could do that with my TP link bulbs and HP printer also, which is one of the reasons I didn’t think it was the router. I’m not familiar with the Asus firmware, but maybe there is a setting that will fix this issue.
A quick google search of the issue is kind of worrying.

Ops, typo is corrected. My router is RT-AX88U, not RT-AX86U.
But yes, before RT-AX88U I actually bought RT-AX86U. This was a disaster right out of the box. It worked only for few hours and locked completely. First I thought this was a bad box and replaced it with the same one. Second one was doing exactly the same things. Called ASUS but they was completely useless. Than I went with RT-AX88U and had to reboot it only few times because of firmware update and minor configuration change (mostly adding new DHCP reservation). So far RT-AX88U is rock solid for near 2 years.

Try changing the IGMP Snooping setting. Also, are you using IPTV?

No, I am noy using IPTV.
Where is the IGMP Snooping setting, I did not find it?
And there is a new firmware rolled out. I will update router as we speak.

I don’t know. I googled RT-AX88 + multicast and saw a couple links recommending that IGMP snooping be turned on.

OK, it could be Merlin firmware specific. I am using stock firmware and cannot find this setting. Just updated firmware. Let me see how this goes ...

1 Like

Dumb question: Have you ensured that the bulbs themselves have the latest LifX firmware? Someone posted this same issue a year or two ago and that fixed it for them.

Yes, the firmware is latest.
Just now LIFX app lost a control with this problematic light but HE did not. This is opposite from the original observation when HE lost a connection but app still was happy. Again, recycling power to this light fixes the issue. This way it is hard to believe the problem is related to the router. Except for this single light every other WiFi and/or Ethernet device is absolutely happy with the network connection. To me it looks like the light itself is a problem.

I have a LIFX bulb and 2 led strips and these are the worst performers on my HE of all my devices, the moment I had them managed by home assistant I no longer had a problem. If I want to switch them from rule machine ex., I send a http POST link to HA, works fine.

Thank you for the info.
This is another pointer to the potential problem with LIFX HE Integration.

1 Like

So, I moved this problematic LIFX bulb to the HA and brought it back to HE via HADB. Now this used to be problematic bulb with HE seems to be rock solid with HA. It looks like a problem with built-in HE LIFX integration.

1 Like

Hmm.. I have around 6 bulbs and a couple of strips and have yet to have issues in the 2 years I've had them. @bcopeland has close to a 100 of them (maybe more) and I don't think any have been an issue...

1 Like

I have only two identical (even came as a set of two) LIFX CT Bulbs (actually now discontinued for whatever reason?). First one is rock solid with HE but second one was dropping connection (with HE?) left and right. After I moved this problematic one to HA it became rock solid. To my eyes this is a pointer to HE Integration problem (what else it could be?).

1 Like

I have the a19 color bulbs and a couple of lights strips. Maybe Bryan will chime in. As to what else could it be? Router, something else causing packet collisions.... (though the latter is unlikely). For myself, I would throw a sniffer on the network. One thing I do though and not sure if it would help you in testing but for all my bulbs I have registrations so that hubitat always knows where they are... Just a thought.

What did you mean by "registration"? Is it some sort of fixed IP? BTW, all my LAN Devices involved in Home Automation have DHCP-reserved IPs.

No, Router is out of question because everything is perfectly fine with Home Assistant which is on the same network as everything else.

1 Like