Life360: Benefits vs. Privacy - What's your take?

There are two things I've noticed since I've been part of the Hubitat community:

• People like the fact that Hubitat maintains data locally. Data privacy is designed into the product and is part of the Reliable...Fast...Private marketing for the device.
  • People seem to like Life360 (and I understand why). There are built-in and user-contributed apps, and threads galore on using Life360. When I read the Life360 "Full Privacy Policy" the phrase "personal information" appears 74 times, usually in the context of "share" or "disclose".

It seems an odd juxtaposition. I'm a realist that companies are harvesting lots of data about me and I'm [mostly] knowingly giving up that in exchange for something, be it availability of a "free" web site/service, access to information and news, or getting ads that might be more interesting to me. I also understand that Life360's partner Arity is tracking and selling driving data so insurance companies can judge your risk as a driver. There is no free lunch.

However, when I read things like "We perform various profiling activities using personal data. Profiling is using personal data to make predictions about people, or to categorize them into particular groups." in Arity's privacy policy or I try to map out the nested ways that Life360 shares data with other partners (subject to yet more privacy policies), it gives me pause. For example, Life360 shares "your personal information, including location data, with ... [unnamed] third parties for advertising or other purposes". The only way to opt out is to โ€œTurn location services โ€˜off.โ€™" which would seem to make the app useless.

What's your take on this? Is there a conflict between supporting Hubitat's local private data philosphy and Life360's we share lots of things with lots of people approach or not?

Of course there is! That's why our mobile app features mobile presence without ever disclosing your location data to anyone, including us! Your Hubitat mobile app reports geo-fence crossings, period. This is the gold standard in privacy for a location based service. You don't need Life360 unless you are willing to make all of the tradeoffs you mentioned at the price of your privacy.

Choice is good. Privacy is good.

3 Likes

If only the app could manage the locations of multiple hubs at different locations on the same account I'd be happy :slight_smile:

The question was really rhetorical but I guess it didn't translate in my message :smirk:. I was really hoping to get some of the people who are so enamored with Life360 to give me some rationale for not being put-off by the Life360 and Arity's privacy policies. There is an article in the NYTimes today that mentioned that the largest data broker has profiles on over 500 million consumers. I wonder if any Life360-based data somehow finds its way there.

IAC, to each their own. All I can say is I appreciate the design of the Hubitat app. Thanks.