Geofence on App

Can we get a bigger Geofence? I really like to have the heat kick on when im 5 miles away. i want to do this all via hubitat instead of having a 2nd app. thats the one thing why i still have the original app installed.

i know lots of people want it smaller but im opposite and want to have things run as im coming home not when i get home.

thanks,

1 Like

You're never within 5 miles of your house when you're not going home? If this was implemented and you drove within the geofence but were not going home, the app would read you as going home and make those changes. This would only work reliably if your house was at least 5 miles away from anywhere else you ever went.

yeah i had it like this when i was on smartthings and it worked great. the majority of my time is spent outside of that radius.

Have you considered using life360. With a community app, you can access distance-to-home dynamically and use it in rules. A more elegant and flexible solution perhaps than messing with the geofence itself. YMMV

Really didn’t like the terms of life360.

Interesting — say more?

it really started with this: Life360: Benefits vs. Privacy - What's your take?

then i had alot of battery issues with it.

Ah, I see what you mean now. I think it's a legit concern. And also very personal. For my family, we don't care so much about 'whereabouts' transparency (though there are many other examples of data sharing I find very concerning). I have four teens, and their driving scares the bejesus out of me. Life360's crash detection feature alone makes the terms a more than palatable tradeoff for us.

But again, it's a personal choice. One of the things I love about this community: we can share experiences and yet each do our own thing. Respect.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.