Leviton WiFi device support?

SHP, I agree about HE. I wouldn't expect them to build another version of SmartThings. I like what they've done. I could argue that not covering a product by Leviton isn't a great idea, but I'm sure they'll get around to it if there's demand with their limited resources. I don't have anything bad to say about the HE...I just can't use it.

You may want to check out the newer version of the GA over Echo. It is now totally free (or at least has been for me), it's also rock solid on response. I also have a Google Mini. I just find having one device rather than two easier. We have Echos all over our house for intercom and announcements.

I also don't totally disagree on Zigbee. It seems to work, but both Zigbee and ZWave suffer from no one knows what they are. People that buy a device see WiFi and they know it should work. They also have a rudimentary knowledge of how to make it connect, etc.

Every major WiFi router manufacturer is pushing mesh solutions now. Some don't call it mesh, but that's what they're really doing. I looked for a ZWave repeater on Amazon about a month ago...there was one by Aeotec I believe and it was being discontinued. Yes, I know that the AC powered ZWave devices (switches and outlets) also are usually repeaters...but that's almost a secret. Worse though is that there is no way to know that your ZWave or Zigbee network needs a repeater as there are no consumer tools for checking signal strength like you can do with WiFi. I have a door lock that would work, then drop off for a day or so, and then come back. I just guessed that it was signal problem. I've been in the field of communications technology since before x.25 got popular...and I'm guessing. My wife would have just returned it as would most consumers.

When I talk about standards. I don't mean everything has to work exactly the same, but having 2000 different devices all that have a different method of connecting on different networks with different batteries and most not giving any real feedback on success, failure or strength is just a mess.

Actually, X-10 was better. They pretty much made all of the devices and they all kind of worked with their system.

The major hub vendors don't support some of the devices of the major device vendors (usually the device vendor's fault). Nest on ST for instance. So, there are hacks to make that happen. That's a hobbyist world (Rule Machine, WebCore, IFTTT, etc. is a hobbyist world).
Now, please don't get me wrong. This is not a Hubitat made problem I believe they're doing well. I'm disappointed they don't support a major player like Leviton's WiFi switches, but I understand they have limited resources.

However, a regular consumer at a Home Depot is not going to have a clue what their "smart" Alexa Ready switch is Wifi and not ZWave (which they probably never heard of before). Worse, it means that people like builders and electricians are not going to start putting these types of items in as standard...unless they expect their customers to end up with 14 different apps to control them all (that's what I currently have).

1. Lifx - Light bulbs
  2. Nest - Smokes
  3. Smartthings - Hub
  4. Ecobee - Thermostats
  5. Flair - Mini Split Thermostat/Control
  6. Sensibo - Mini Split Thermostat (2nd home)
  7. Leviton - Switches and outlets
  8. SmartOil - Oil tank level
  9. Kuna - Light/Camera/Security
  10. Google Home - Hub
  11. Amazon Echo - Hub
  12. Steamer (my steam shower)
  13. Schuluter Systems (floor heat)
  14. Arlo - Cameras/Motion

Only two I've never heard of. Everything you have is cloud based, so I'm guessing those two are as well? I don't say this much, but you might as well stay with SmartThings. Assuming 12 and 13 are cloud based, you've go 14 chances to be offline every day. The only thing you gain with HE is your hub can still operate without the cloud or an internet connection, but being that nothing else can, you wouldn't be able to use the hub to control anything if you lost internet access or any one of those cloud services dropped. There are community drivers for Lifx, Ecobee, and Nest but nothing else on that list. I believe the Nest cannot operate if their cloud service is down, but I don't know for sure. I have the official HE integration which does require cloud.

Through no direct intention, just an evolution, I am planning to try a shift in my use. Have a Google Home Hub waiting for me, but the family does like Alexa. I wouldn't bother with putting Google Assistant on Alexa again. It's just not worth my time when I'll have three Google Home devices in my house soon, in addition to our two Echos.

I agree they're pushing, but people are not buying that as the default yet. The default is what the ISP puts in. I work with consumers as a consultant too. If you ask the general public, they won't have a clue what you're talking about. It's something that we all understand in our echo chamber, but the average person doesn't. Stop people on the street and ask them what they know about WiFi and they'll very likely tell you it's how they get internet. Ask them what the difference is between WiFi and Internet and you're going to get a whole lot of blank stares and misinformed answers.

Builders don't want these headaches. Leviton makes a fine paddle switch, but Lutron is what the designers like and it's a good choice to a system the just works. But guess what? You need a bridge. That's just the reality of translating the reliable protocols to IP. You mention X10. Half my house (small house) is the descendants of that, Insteon. Rock solid system (once connected to HE), good hardware and great hardware features, plus a dual mesh network technology. But, I need their hub to translate from IP to Insteon, and since HE doesn't directly drive Insteon, I need a second node.js server to bridge between those two hubs. However, a simple node server running on a RPi or in my case a MacBook, and I have rock solid local control. The Insteon hub can lose connection to the Insteon cloud and it doesn't matter. Everything works local and very fast.

Hubs and bridges are a fact of how this stuff works today. Changing all this to a single communication protocol is likely never going to happen while I'm on this side of the ground. So personally, I choose to go along with the hubs and bridges to link it all together. The only things I have that are cloud based are that way because there is no other way, they were free, or I made a mistake.

Not to force this back on-topic...

Would those looking for a Leviton WiFi integration be willing to use a Raspberry Pi (or other device) as a middleman for the time being? The Python script already made for this looks simple enough to make a REST gateway until something more reliable would come along...

Ok I ordered my hub last night. I am planning to connect Google Assistant/Home to Hubitat. Wouldn’t it create a loop of sorts to say “Hey google turn off the...” if a relay is used that is pointing hubitat back to GA? Wouldn’t I end up with two devices in GA?

1 Like

Welcome. Congratulations on a wise purchase.

No, Google Assistant Relay sends commands silently using text to speech. I used to use it for TTS announcements, but Google changed something so that it always says “Broadcast from” and then the user name, and then the announcement and you can’t shut it off. So I no longer use it for spoken TTS, and besides, we have built-in chromecast integration that can do TTS announcements and play music files, or many other community apps and drivers that can accomplish spoken TTS.

What makes Google Assistant Relay unique is @ogiewon, the author of the Google Assistant Relay driver for Hubitat, added the ability to prefix a TTS announcement with either [CC], which silently sends whatever you type to Google Assistant and doesn’t give any feedback, or [CCC] which silently sends whatever you type to Google Assistant, but then gives the verbal response that Google would normally give if you spoke to Google Assistant.

So for example, in Hubitat Rule Machine, you choose something that happens to make a rule either true or false, and the action for true is speak [CC] HeyGoogle, turn ON my IHome switch, or something like that. The action for false could be [CC] HeyGoogle, turn OFF my IHome switch

Just an example It could also just be a Rule Machine trigger that would just do one action, based on something happening, or it could be a different action for true versus false based on a condition at the time of the trigger, etc. that’s all more about how Rule Machine works though.

The point is, it’s easy with Google Assistant Relay to silently control anything Google Assistant supports, directly from Hubitat, by using any kind of input that Hubitat supports. You’re going to love Hubitat. You can create just about anything for your automated home, that you were either blocked or limited in someway on another platform.

2 Likes

Very cool! I am looking forward to to all the options and the option to relay commands to Google Assistant without her echoing back sounds very cool.

1 Like

Yeah, I'd be willing to run a service. I'd likely figure out how to run it on my NAS, but I can VM a *nix onto it if it is too hard to get running on FreeBSD. I've got half a dozen of them I just uninstalled for Caseta...which is the bomb btw...that I'd use as switches in the 'back' of the house if it was possible (storage areas, etc.)

Cool. Let me take care of a couple other community projects before building a bridge. I'll see if I can find a cheap switch to test it out with, too, since all my levitons are z-wave/hacked Zigbee.

PM me your address and I'll donate one to you for your trouble!

1 Like

There are many reports of hackers getting into Ring devices and jack with the home users and their kids. If they can get into Ring they can get into my dead-bolt and unlock my house. That is why I moved to Hubitat.

:roll_eyes:

It’s not “hacking” when someone reuses a username and password across multiple accounts that’s already been compromised from an old data breach on an unrelated service (which could have occurred several years ago).

That’s user error, an extremely poor security practice, and if someone did that with their hubitat portal account info, then their hubitat hub would be subject to the same kind of “hack.”

I assume most of these “hackers” are just very bored, antisocial d :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: bags with no real knowledge/skills other than perhaps some google fu.

2 Likes

Did anyone ever get a Leviton driver for Hubitat working? If not I might take a stab at it myself, but don't want to reinvent the wheel if it already exists.

I've got a couple of switches I wanted to include in rules linked up via IFTT but they can be a bit slow to respond sometimes so having a direct connection that bypasses IFTTT would be ideal

1 Like

Nope. But if/when you get one written or need any help, let me know! :slight_smile: I never ended up getting one of these.

I suspect that the Leviton DW4BC also is a cloud-only device or one that would require an intercepting local server? This looks like it could be a nice single gang scene controller though it's still a bit pricey. "Hidden" indicator LEDs under each button would be a nice way to communicate feedback especially if those LEDs had color capabilities.

https://www.leviton.com/en/products/dw4bc-1bw

Poke? Has anybody made any progress on this?

I'm looking to switch from SmartThings to Hubitat, but the lack of Leviton WiFi support on Hubitat is a blocker for me.

2 Likes

Wondering about this as well. It's really a hindrance to switching over from SmartThings. I know there are workarounds, but they put yet another party in the mix.

Doubtful, since no one has really been posting in this thread.

But you could always post in the feature request subcategory. With more ST users considering HE with the impending ST IDE changes, the staff here might consider adding a built-in driver if there’s sufficient interest and it’s feasible to do.

1 Like

I shared a driver for these in the Feature Requests post (good suggestion that helped it get more attention, @marktheknife).

Since I don't have the hardware to test with, I called it an open beta and would appreciate testing and feedback. Here's the post: Leviton wifi switches & dimmers

3 Likes

I'm trying to set up my friend's system and I'm getting a weird "Forbidden" error when trying to log in. Have you ever seen this before?

The weird part is that his hub is connected to my network right now, my own hub works fine, and when I go to the URL manually I get a 401 unauthorized, not a 403 forbidden.

[dev:17](http://192.168.1.222/logs#dev17)2020-11-10 07:08:46.145 pm [debug](http://192.168.1.222/device/edit/17)initialize() failed

[dev:17](http://192.168.1.222/logs#dev17)2020-11-10 07:08:46.142 pm [debug] (http://192.168.1.222/device/edit/17)refreshTokens() failed: Forbidden

[dev:17](http://192.168.1.222/logs#dev17)2020-11-10 07:08:46.139 pm [debug](http://192.168.1.222/device/edit/17)httpPostExec() failed: Forbidden

[dev:17](http://192.168.1.222/logs#dev17)2020-11-10 07:08:44.990 pm [debug](http://192.168.1.222/device/edit/17)httpPostExec([uri:https://my.leviton.com/api/Person/login, body:[email:********, password:*******, clientId:levdb-echo-proto, registeredVia:myLeviton], contentType:application/json])