Leviton VRCS4 Device Driver

The driver won't make release 2.0.5, it will be in 2.0.6.

I think you'll be happy with this.
The base driver will support the button controller capabilities that I noted previously, namely pushed on buttons 1 through 6 and released on 5 and 6.
There will be a preference setting in the driver to create 4 child dimmers, if this is chosen the button controller function remains as is on the base device, and each of the buttons will now control the child dimmers as well, with the dimmer paddle acting on the currently active button if that makes sense.

2 Likes

This is awesome. Not only will we get the first four buttons as before but we can also use them with dimmers (as this device was intended) or we get an additional two buttons.

For me the two extra buttons (since they are up and down arrows) will serve well for cycling through HE modes. I needed a super convenient way to put the house in entertain mode so the lights would stop automatically shutting off.

Hats off, Mike.

@mike.maxwell I just wanted to say thank you for getting the VRCS4 implemented, it has been a tremendous help! I am having a slight issue with it, however. When ever I push either the fade up or down buttons it is registering on the hub as button 5 pushed/released instead of being button 5 was pushed/released or button 6 pushed/release. I tried pressing the configure button a few times but no dice. I also have the device setup as option 1 and not using the child dimmers.

I'm confused, button 5 should be the one on the left, 6 on the right.
When you push and release the left button what do you see in the logs, when you push the and release the right button what do you need in the logs.

@mike.maxwell So when I push the left button it shows in the Logs as button 5 was pushed then released. When I push the button on the right it comes back and says button 5 was released.

Also debug logging on this device isn't working for some reason?

ill have a look when i can, hopefully its not a device firmware version issue...

Thank you @mike.maxwell

@mike.maxwell
Just wanted to hop in and say that this driver also works for the VRCS1---although it only works with switch 1 (for the obvious reason that there's only one switch).

If you wanted an easy driver to pump out just to have on the list (pm if you need device ID, fingerprint, etc..), here you are! :cowboy_hat_face:

Well, that's a good idea, but without having this device, im not able to understand the implications.
Is this one just a vrcs4 with a load control on channel 1?, would this device present 3 child dimmers (2..4), leaving the first channel as a dimmer in the parent?
Just trying to figure out if I can build this thing without having one...

Hi all,

I wrote a newer Smartthings Device-Type Handler and SmartApp for the Leviton VRCZ4, and am very keen to see if they can be made to work properly with Hubitat (since the latency with Smartthings is really getting tiresome).

Anybody here have one?

FWIW, I think bdahlem's code may have had a known issue with multiple buttons? I adapted my VRCZ4 code from ygelfand's later-version VRCS4 Device-Type Handler and SmartApp, so you might want to try those and see if they work any better with your VRCS4s.

You can always follow these guidelines to port ST code to HE:

1 Like

Many thanks, Michael -- it looks like this link could make porting my code significantly easier. Will really have to consider just picking up a Hubitat and giving it a go!

1 Like

I'd originally misread your post as VRCS and not VRCZ --- of which I have like three or four in a box that I've just never bothered with since I didn't have a use-case in mind for them. Were you able to make any progress with your driver? Now that I know you've got a SmartThings driver, I'd be willing to help port that puppy over if you haven't already!

Edit: Would you be willing to give a quick TLDR of what the SmartApp does?
Edit 2: Feel free to take a look at my Enerwave ZWN-SC7 driver. It too, is based off of the VRCS4 Device Handler, so it will have a lot of good info to get a port going :slight_smile:

Hi -- just getting this now, as I'm (finally) ready to start porting my SmartThings network over to Hubitat.

The SmartApp lets you assign devices (potentially, more than one) to each of the four buttons on the VRCZ, and set the indicator-light color (green or orange) for each button. The driver supports full VRCZ functionality, including dimming.

As soon as I get my network migration underway, I'll have a go at porting the VRCZ DTH and SmartApp. Will let you know if I run into any issues.

Cool. How did you get your VRCZ-4s to be recognized during inclusion?

I’ll be out of town on our honeymoon the next couple weeks, so no hurry :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Did anyone ever make the driver work with the -MRZ version of this with the local load switch?

Do you have a URL to that one?

It looks like its discontinued and I can't even find it listed on the Leviton website, however this is the one: Leviton VRCS4-MRZ Vizia-RF + 4-Scene Controller with Local Control Switch

The built in driver works (for button pushes at least), however as soon as its paired, it drops the ability to control the load on button 1 and doesn't show that it has a switch.

Interesting. I didn’t even know there was a version with relays. Do you know of a SmartThings device type for it?

There is some chatter about it here:

https://community.smartthings.com/t/new-vrcs4-mrz-dth-and-smartapp-wanted-will-pay-if-need/176002/2

I'ts interesting reading, since it may just be a case of paring the switch separately with a different inclusion button sequence. 1 and 3 first for the scene controller, and and then 2 and 3 for the load control.

Guess I'll give that a go.

1 Like