Leviton VRCS4 Device Driver

ill have a look when i can, hopefully its not a device firmware version issue...

Thank you @mike.maxwell

@mike.maxwell
Just wanted to hop in and say that this driver also works for the VRCS1---although it only works with switch 1 (for the obvious reason that there's only one switch).

If you wanted an easy driver to pump out just to have on the list (pm if you need device ID, fingerprint, etc..), here you are! :cowboy_hat_face:

Well, that's a good idea, but without having this device, im not able to understand the implications.
Is this one just a vrcs4 with a load control on channel 1?, would this device present 3 child dimmers (2..4), leaving the first channel as a dimmer in the parent?
Just trying to figure out if I can build this thing without having one...

Hi all,

I wrote a newer Smartthings Device-Type Handler and SmartApp for the Leviton VRCZ4, and am very keen to see if they can be made to work properly with Hubitat (since the latency with Smartthings is really getting tiresome).

Anybody here have one?

FWIW, I think bdahlem's code may have had a known issue with multiple buttons? I adapted my VRCZ4 code from ygelfand's later-version VRCS4 Device-Type Handler and SmartApp, so you might want to try those and see if they work any better with your VRCS4s.

You can always follow these guidelines to port ST code to HE:

1 Like

Many thanks, Michael -- it looks like this link could make porting my code significantly easier. Will really have to consider just picking up a Hubitat and giving it a go!

1 Like

I'd originally misread your post as VRCS and not VRCZ --- of which I have like three or four in a box that I've just never bothered with since I didn't have a use-case in mind for them. Were you able to make any progress with your driver? Now that I know you've got a SmartThings driver, I'd be willing to help port that puppy over if you haven't already!

Edit: Would you be willing to give a quick TLDR of what the SmartApp does?
Edit 2: Feel free to take a look at my Enerwave ZWN-SC7 driver. It too, is based off of the VRCS4 Device Handler, so it will have a lot of good info to get a port going :slight_smile:

Hi -- just getting this now, as I'm (finally) ready to start porting my SmartThings network over to Hubitat.

The SmartApp lets you assign devices (potentially, more than one) to each of the four buttons on the VRCZ, and set the indicator-light color (green or orange) for each button. The driver supports full VRCZ functionality, including dimming.

As soon as I get my network migration underway, I'll have a go at porting the VRCZ DTH and SmartApp. Will let you know if I run into any issues.

Cool. How did you get your VRCZ-4s to be recognized during inclusion?

I’ll be out of town on our honeymoon the next couple weeks, so no hurry :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Did anyone ever make the driver work with the -MRZ version of this with the local load switch?

Do you have a URL to that one?

It looks like its discontinued and I can't even find it listed on the Leviton website, however this is the one: Leviton VRCS4-MRZ Vizia-RF + 4-Scene Controller with Local Control Switch

The built in driver works (for button pushes at least), however as soon as its paired, it drops the ability to control the load on button 1 and doesn't show that it has a switch.

Interesting. I didn’t even know there was a version with relays. Do you know of a SmartThings device type for it?

There is some chatter about it here:

https://community.smartthings.com/t/new-vrcs4-mrz-dth-and-smartapp-wanted-will-pay-if-need/176002/2

I'ts interesting reading, since it may just be a case of paring the switch separately with a different inclusion button sequence. 1 and 3 first for the scene controller, and and then 2 and 3 for the load control.

Guess I'll give that a go.

1 Like

Sounds good! Let me know how that turns out :slight_smile: I'll give that thread a read again. (Funnily, I remember reading that 5 years ago on ST :flushed:)

OK so pairing the load switch after worked, however its actually button 2 and 4 I think as I think somebody earlier said 2 and 3.

Its funny, as I must have gone through this years back myself when I used it with a Vera, and I guess I just forgot.

I haven't used this switch for years, as it developed some severe latency problems with my vera, and so I removed it. I have one other in a box that I just need to try and work out where to use now :slight_smile:

Seems to be working well though.

Awesome! I’m glad you got that sifted out, and shared the info for everyone else who is having trouble getting their VRCS4-MRZ to pair with Hubitat with the relays :slight_smile:

Any reason why buttons 5 and 6 would both be registering as a 5? Has anyone else seen this behavior? FWIW, I think I have an earlier version of this controller. The driver seems to mostly work except for two things:

1. Every button press reports twice in the log
  2. Buttons 5 and 6 are both registering as button 5.

Which version of the VRCS4 do you have? There are a few variants and a couple of them have been talked about in here. I have the one that does not switch a load and I don't have that issue. All buttons respond pretty quickly (when my mesh is healthy).