Leviton dimmers not updating status

I have two Leviton dimmers that aren't updating status in the app (they have an hourglass in the dashboard). Is there a way to fix this without excluding/including the device? If I need to delete the device is there an easy way to add back all of the automations associated with the device?

I constantly have this problem with my Leviton dimmers. Removing/Restoring power seems to get them to report normal for a while, but eventually, they'll go back to their old ways. I'll be replacing the few I have in the next few months.

1 Like

What model of Leviton dimmer? Is the firmware up to date? What driver are you using?

If they are DZ6HDs, I suggest this post.

2 Likes

Thankfully I have only ever purchased one Leviton zwave switch. I had it replaced once before they offered FW updates. Now the replacement has been replaced again with a zooz switch and the Leviton is on my shell.

Side note: I am very happy with my Leviton zigbee plug-in dimmer.

1 Like

I’ve had good experience with mine. I have ~100 of them.

1 Like

I did the firmware update on both of mine a while ago (I think it was your post that lead me to it). One started reporting more accurately, the other, still shows on all the time.

Are you using the "Generic Z-Wave Smart Dimmer" driver? And does it report correctly if you refresh it? Are you able to command it?

Yes, using generic driver. Refreshing doesn't update the status, but I can control it on and off.

That suggests a driver that doesn't support hail, such as the "Generic Z-Wave Smart Dimmer" driver or the "Generic Z-Wave Plus Dimmer" driver.

I ditched the Leviton Driver and went with the Generic Z-Wave Plus Dimmer quite a while ago based on a previous post. Was still having the same results. However, based your comment I tried the Generic Z-Wave Dimmer and it's been accurate since.

Does that suggest something still isn't right with the firmware?

No, it's just that the Plus version of the driver does not support the Hail command, which is required for the DZ6HD. The design of the Leviton DZ6HDs predates the expiration of the Lutron patent which covered spontaneous notification of state. The only way to work around the (now expired) patent was to use Hail.

FWIW, the newer ZW6HD (Z-Wave 800 series) does not require Hail, and should be used with the Plus version of the driver.

2 Likes