Let's talk thermostats and house comfort

@JasonJoel
What do you recommend in place of the Ecobee?

Depends on your needs (remote sensors, local only control vs cloud, etc). I am partial to the GoControl GC-TBZ48 for my needs.

I wanted something 100% local, and something that allowed temperature sensor biasing real-time / via programmable register so I could emulate operating the thermostat from any arbitrary temperature in hubitat. And it does both of those things well.

I’m looking for something that holds the scheduling locally.

I don’t want to rely on HE sending schedule info.

I really only want to be able to put it in away mode and back into normal mode and lastly to turn it off if a door is open via HE.

Yup. Then the GoControl isn't the one for you. It has no/minimal scheduling capability.

Just get an ecobee or nest and be done.

The problem (as I'm sure you are aware), is that the Ecobee is down (on a regular, continuous basis), and the Nest has a mind of its own!

I'm thinking of going back to it!
I'd love to go to the Honeywell T60 Pro (zwave), but it appears that there are issues with it.
WAF has decreed that we go with a simple device that has the time displayed!

With all the users here that state how great Lutron products are, I'm wondering why there is hardly any posts regarding the Lutron Thermostat?

Anyone using it? If so what are the pros and cons with it?

Isn’t it a wifi cloud solution ?

It uses a native hubitat driver apparently from what I see

So to confirm. I could block the Lutron hub from the internet and it’s still controllable ?

It looks like only the ra2 thermostat is supported not l-HWLV2-WIFI.

So you would have to purchase the ra2 main repeater.

RA2 supports the clear connect telnet protocol the same as all the other lutron devices is my understanding.

Yes, I've tried that. It works.

1 Like

Same here.

Also, I thought the RA2 thermostat was made by Honeywell.

Are you referring to the following thermostat:

I might as well go back to the basic Honeywell Zwave thermostat:

Yes

1 Like

It looks like the wifi is supported by the ra2 and the ra2 thermostat. Not sure if both speak Lutron connect and if you can control both.

Based on Hubitat’s compatibility list only the Lutron ra2 non wifi (picture above) is supported. Again, you would need the ra2 main repeater.

Lutron Caseta says the wifi is supported but I think that’s via the cloud and not via Lutron clear connect.

1 Like

Correct on all points. Might as well as get the Honeywell z-wave thermostat at that point and eliminate the Radio RA2 main repeater.

2 Likes

I agree with the above: I recently moved to RadioRA2 and looked at the thermostat but...not when it looks that ugly and costs three times as much as ones that do the same. I suppose it's good if you only have RA2 and not a different full home automation system. I also assume Lutron's remote temperature sensors would work with it, which I'm not sure the plain Z-Wave model has them. I also know Lutron's seeTemp (remote wall mounted setpoint changer, also much prettier) would work, but obviously with Hubitat you could make whatever remote method of change you want work however you want. Still not worth it in my assessment.

I think the T6 Pro issues will eventually be addressed one way or the other.