Let's talk 3D printers!

And that would be me... :slight_smile:

I have steered a few people that just want to make a box for sbcs or other sensors here though:

If it has a board you need already supported, it is pretty spiffy.

4 Likes

Just ordered the new Prusa Original MK4 kit with original enclosure… should be delivered sometime in July. Last printer was a Creality and gave it to my son. Looking forward to getting back into printing stuff for myself and the grand kids.

7 Likes

Recently ordered a Bambu X1C, and looking forward to its arrival this week! I see there is a Home Assistant integration for Bambu printers, though I don't currently use HA. Has anyone considered or is currently working on a Hubitat integration for Bambu printers? I assume the userbase here is pretty niche, so I am doubting it, but I have to ask.

I'm guessing my best bet would be to setup HA and integrate it there, or continue with my current 'smart' printer setup which uses a smart switch to monitor power levels and power down the printer after an idle waiting period. Honestly, my current method works very well, but it would be nice to know a little more than running or idle.

1 Like

I think it would need an MQTT broker which Hubitat doesn't have. It doesn't even look like HA has it natively and folks were using node red for handling the MQTT side.

I see. I'm not very familiar with MQTT, but after doing some more reading I understand a bit more how it works. I'm going to assume the amount of work required to get information into Hubitat would not be worth the time investment.

Bummer, it would be nice to have a direct integration, even if it was a cloud connected setup through the Bambu cloud. Hopefully they will listen to their customer base who wants API support, and will add API access in the future. Maybe then it would be worth seeing how much effort it would take to integrate things directly into Hubitat.

I suppose my trusty smart plug will keep me going unless I decide to give HA another go. At least Bambu has a nice app I can use to check on the printer!

I know there is a Hubitat Octoprint integration.

I am using it and see it works, but my notification rule doesn't work; I suspect I've not set something up properly.

Unfortunately the Bambu X1C & P1P are not compatible with Octoprint. Bambu has a 'closed ecosystem', and I'm pretty sure both of these printers are missing USB ports to even plug an octoprint instance into.

They do offer cloud printing, which is nice, and still have the micro SD card slot, to support fully local printing. Though their integrations with 3rd party are lacking (aside from Home Assistant via MQTT currently).

Though its a bummer they don't currently publish an API that could be used for connectivity, its better than my current setup. A 'closed ecosystem' printer (FlashForge) which doesn't have wireless connectivity, and also prints like garbage. At least with the Bambu, the print quality will be better, and should require less maintenance to keep the printer actually printing well. Also the speed is a huge improvement, I sliced the same model in both sliders, and the FlashForge slicer had an 8 hour runtime, where the Bambu slicer showed a 3 hour runtime with higher quality settings. Which is what I am really wanting after years of less than ideal printers.

1 Like

They are pretty solid printers, but caveat that with it being the only one I've owned :grin:. The app does a push notification when a print completes, but still needs a few minutes after for the hotend to cool. Your current rule setup would probably do the trick.

Even with integrating into Hubitat, I would think the rule would be written around watching hotend temps to know when to kill power. I can't imagine that's much more accurate than just watching power consumption and then waiting some time for the hotend to cool down. I certainly don't think the level of effort to get it setup is worth the <5 min difference you would get between "educated guess waiting" and "turn off after hotend temp = xxΒ°"

Yeah, that's how I did it with my last printers. Once the power draw drops to idle, it starts a couple minute timer, and once that is complete I get a print finished notification, with a duration as to how long the printer ran. Then, it goes into a 10 or so minute cooldown period, where I give the printer enough time for the hotend to cool off so the heat break fan stops running, and then it shuts down. Don't want to shut it off hot, or it will possibly clog the nozzle.

The main benefit of knowing more than printing vs not printing to me, would be for the filament dryer I am building. I have a Sunlu S1 dryer, which I am modding to be controlled from an ESP module. This way I can control it easier and send a quick command to it (like filament type) to have it adjust settings automatically. If I knew print time in Hubitat, I could also push the timer value to it, so it would shut down a little before the printer was done printing (since it doesn't need to run the entire time for a print). For now I am going to manually feed it filament type and print time, but it would be nice if I could automate it a bit more (I mean we are posting on a Hubitat group, aren't we :joy:).

So...I stand corrected:

@JasonJoel this thing is stupid chatty. You have any ideas on how to limit it? Just not sure if there's anything specific to MQTT to handle that.

1 Like

Well this is very interesting! Care to share some details? I don't have the printer yet, but I will be happy to test once I have it!

I learned a little about MQTT and started working on a driver to pull the data into Hubitat. That's basically the raw output from the MQTT feed from the printer.

Gotcha, pretty great results!

Are you using a separate device as a broker, or are you using some sort of app within Hubitat for the MQTT?

I'm using the built-in MQTT capabilities. I'm literally writing a device driver from scratch for it.

1 Like

Ooo...I can throw in some basics commands like turning the bar light on/off. Neat.

1 Like

Originally I just cherry picked out the 2 or 3 events I cared about in node-red by connecting directly to the P!P printer IP address via MQTT client.

After looking into it, I wasn't really interested in the HA integration. as I simply didn't want/need all that info replicated there.

After some firmware update my MQTT calls stopped working, and I haven't went back to fix it yet. I think you now have to login to the P1P MQTT connection like you always had to for the X1 a la
'The MQTT port is now 8883, and uses TLS. User is bblp, and password is the key in network'.

1 Like

They enabled TLS, added a user name, and enforced the use of an access code that you get from the network setup screen as the password.

I did finally decipher some of what they're doing with HA and have buttons for toggling the chamber light for the X1, setting the nozzle, and setting the bed temp. There's a generic request line to send any gcode you want, so I'll look at adding buttons for unloading filament and adjusting the fans.

The biggest hurdle for Hubitat is that this thing shoots a report out about twice a second. Even dumping any unneeded info will suck up quite a bit of CPU time. Might kill the biggest use case of being able to monitor temps. Only thing I can think of is to cycle sub/unsub from the reports.

2 Likes

I just tried it w/TLS, new port, and login and can connect again. That's what I expected, but never got around to it.

Yes. It is VERY chatty. Even when the printer is IDLE it sends an update every 2-3 seconds on average. When it is running it is a LOT more frequent.

Not an issue in node-red (I've done many hundreds of updates per second with no real impact on cpu loading there), but I probably wouldn't spew data at my hubitat that fast...

2 Likes

So, it's not as bad as I thought. It's definitely chatty, but I have two Shelly plugs consuming more time:

2 Likes