Let's talk 3D printers!

I would too! Very nice!

2 Likes

Cheers, working from home for the last 3 years has given me the excuses I needed to upgrade my gear.

Next on the shopping list is a Mac Studio. Although I do need to pay off the MBP on my wife’s SUV in July, so maybe after that.

2 Likes

I've outgrown tinkercad, my biggest issue is not being able to get a point-to point measurement other than outside corners. I've looked at F360 and will probably end up going that route. Currently, I'm sloooowly doing the OnShape tutorial.

3 Likes

I've watched some of Michael's (Teaching Tech) OnShape tutorial videos but haven't actually tried it yet.

I have ideas in my head that i struggle to turn into anything meaningful in Tinkercad.

2 Likes

No worries. I mean I don't work for tinkercad or have vested interest in defending them. :slight_smile:

I'm just saying I can make sensor boxes really, really fast with it - and it works on my Chromebook so I can work on designs from my hotel room when travelling for work (I only take my Chromebook with me on business trips).

It isn't the right tool for everyone, or every job.

Use the tool that makes best sense to you, for your job!

I use fusion 360 for a number of things too, just not simple designs as I find tinker easier/faster for that application. But that may be because I'm not as adept at f360 as I should be. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Y'all with the isometric views messes with my brain... and I have an architecture degree! I prefer to work in perspective.

2 Likes

What I really want is a CAD with the same toolbar as the old, free Sketchup. With Sketchup I'd design in perspective then toggle over to isometric.

I so want one of these now! :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

That's pretty slick and fast.

2 Likes

I'm going to wait & watch awhile on this one.

A new update will make AnkerMake M5 capable of printing at a speed of 500 mm/s and acceleration of 5,000 mm/s². Just go into Fast Mode with the AnkerMake Slicer to use it.

To ensure print quality during these lightning-fast movements, the Slicer applies different acceleration and speed settings to the first layer, outer walls, infill, and areas with special features.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ankermake/ankermake-m5-3d-printer-5x-faster-printing-and-ai-camera/posts/3778857

1 Like
1 Like

So there's another person in the world way, way, way smarter than me. Thanks. :wink:

Looks so cool as the hotend pivots through the print.

1 Like

More s*** to break and/or have to calibrate and fiddle with.

It does look pretty cool though.

4 Likes

Isn't that why we were put on this earth? :wink: And anyway, I'm sure Teaching Tech will have a simple how-to video up 24 hours after the first consumer version launches. :smile:

have you seen the Meltio videos?

1 Like

It would be a better video if he 3D printed a bottle like the one he reduced to filament.

2 Likes

That's freaking cool!

1 Like

Just discovered this thread and I'll be watching/participating in the future!

I've been 3D printing for about 7 years now. Started with a Prusa derivative called the Wilson II. It was very advanced back in 2015 and the cost was crazy low back then (<$500 for 200 x 300 heated bed, auto leveling, sturdy construction). But it was non-standard and the developer went radio silent. All the github activity dried up which made future improvements more challenging.

I recently acquired an Artillery Sidewinder X2 and I REALLY like it. geekbuyer had a promo on it a few months ago for $270 (yes -- for real) shipped. It's super quiet, has a big build area, and seems well-built/designed. They have a somewhat non-standard display controller which makes DIY firmware updates challenging so I'm running the standard marlin build. You can also put klipper on it.

I researched all the cad tools when I got started and decided autocad's 123D was the best combination of capability, simplicity, and tutorials. ...and you could run it from your PC (vs the web). I spent alotta hours learning to use it. I don't have mad skilz but have designed dozens of parts. ...and then the EOL'd it a few years after I started.

I'm still using 123D because it's what I know. But I need to invest in another CAD package. I've looked at tinkercad, fusion360, freeCAD, openSCAD, and others. I'd prefer an open-source package if possible but the learning curves seem steep. May take the plunge with fusion360 personal at some point...

4 Likes

These two are garbage imo, I love open source software, but these 2 packages are an example of user hostile software.

And then on the other end of the spectrum you have KiCad (which I love).

Fusion 360 is excellent and has a free tier for hobbyists (with some limitations). If you don’t mind web based software, OnShape is very good too.

What I find is that people really good at CAD tend to like different products than novices or hobbyists that rarely use a CAD tool but need it a few times a year.

The experts feel too constrained by the simpler tools, and novices find the full tools way too complex and intimidating for their limited needs.

So it is always really hard for me to recommend anything. I've been CADding as a hobbyist for over 20 years, but what I might prefer might not meet another's needs.

2 Likes