Let's talk 3D printers!

My AnkerMake M5 is new on the market, thankfully someone on reddit developed custom profiles for Cura and PrusaSlicer. I'm running both slicers on a chromebook under linux/crostini, PS had to be installed via Flatpak, so the new update might not be available right away.

1 Like

HE vibration sensors work great for notifying when the 3dP has finished. I had a tuya in the SH device drawer. took about 10 minutes to pair, copy the dryer child app, and stick it on the back of the printer.

1 Like

PETG is in the house! Unfortunately I'm a couple hours into a 5 hour print (more of those cool basket-weave dessication barrels), so won't be loading PETG on my SV05 until later this evening or the weekend.

I do have the new spool in the Sovol dryer and will let that run to get it into the right humidity range and then button it up.

After the print ends I'll add the PLA to the dryer and load the PETG so I can start playing with that.

Super fun...probably all kinds of opportunities for me to mess things up. :wink:

Update - took Sovol dryer about 30m to get humidity down from somewhere in the mid-30's to 17, w/temp up to 44.

1 Like

It’s an Aussie brand called X3D.

1 Like

I use 3-5. Especially for thinner parts, this adds strength while reducing print time as perimeters will always print faster than infill.

From what I hear it's made of crocodile gizzards for strength with a light dusting of koala fur for sheen.

1 Like

Had not heard this but thinking about it it makes a lot of sense. So that begs the question what are you using for infill %?

1 Like

40% “Adaptive Cubic” is what I use, it ensures top layers are perfectly sorted and the print is nice and strong.

I usually use 3 - 5 top and bottom layers too, it just depends on how strong I want the part to be.

Wow...I'm using 15% infill w/2 or 3 perimeter setting. Don't see any "adaptive infill" option in PrusaSlicer, so assume that's a Klipper feature.

1 Like

Just use normal Cubic infill then. Adaptive cubic must be a Super Slicer only feature.

Oops...temporary blindness. It exists!

1 Like

Ok I convinced myself and bought a printer. I did decide to get a little crazy and splurged on the BambuLab printer… Luckily I have no one else but myself to justify the cost to and my inner monologue is pretty convincing!

4 Likes

Congrats! Welcome to the 3DP club! :vulcan_salute:

2 Likes

I am jealous, but agree w/your inner self, you deserve it! :wink: Looking forward to your comments which I will listen to enviously.

BTW, your inner monologue didn't happen to mention wanting to get anything for me, did he? :rofl:

2 Likes

Heh I’ll see what I can do, but doesn’t seem promising.

I think I remember seeing it mentioned at some point in the last 100 messages, but can’t seem to find it now. So any recommendations on filament brands? Probably will grab some PETG in addition to PLA.

2 Likes

I've been using Sunlu PLA and now PETG at @dJOS recommendation.

2 Likes

I'm rather partial to honeycomb or gyroid for infill. Both print relatively quickly and are quite strong.

Let us know how it works out... am getting real close to getting that printer myself..

_button-shiny-red-button

3 Likes

Sunlu through aliexpress is the best value for a known brand.

1 Like

Yes, this looks good to me as well as Adaptive Cubic that @dJOS suggested.

@JasonJoel - Sovol dryer in place, running while I'm printing the PETG. Actually pretty cool.

2 Likes