Let's talk 3D printers!

Looks like one ingredient - that's the only difference I see in the descriptions. I'll get the orange, safer, especially since I have small dogs and if I dropped a few they might hoover them up.

• Orange: Orange beads are free of cobalt chloride
  • Blue: Blue beads contain less than 0.3% Cobalt Chloride which may pose health risk if ingested in large quantities; Do not use for food or medication
1 Like

Just over 10 hours for 6 baskets and 6 lids.

However the lids are stupid tight! I’m just printing another lid at 101% size to see if that is a better fit. Some designers just don’t take into account printing tolerances, which is very frustrating.

Ah yes, the modelling for masochists! Scary stuff!

I bought this one that changes colour when maxed out:

Durimoiy 2 LBS Silica Gel Beads Reusable Indicating Desiccant Beads Silica Gel Desiccant for Electronic Drying, Cabinet Storage (Industry Standard 2-4 mm)

https://amzn.asia/d/5ssXjgS

Normally, I do well with text-based programs (looking a gcode files now) ...but I couldn't wrap around that one (yet).

I wonder if I just got a bad spool, this stuff was even worse after I ran it through my dryer.

The Sunlu is dirt cheap through Aliexpress and they have Australian stock. 3 kilos for $60 aud delivered is hard to pass up.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_msgenJC

It’s also great for transparent LED light pipes.

2 Likes

US:
5-Day Delivery
Free Shipping
From United States to United States via CAINIAO LARGE PARCEL

Bookmarked.

1 Like

So this worked perfectly! If anyone wants to know how to do this, it's dead easy on Prusa Slicer and Super Slicer:

Yes, I used that option the other day for something I printed, very cool.

Mine (I only did one) was tight intially but a few on/offs (wax on, wax off :wink: ) and it was like buttah, very easy/smooth.

Indeed...here as well! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, the one we were talking about on the US site is the same, changes color, and supposedly can be restored via slow/low heat in an oven. If that actually works, kinda cool.

Apparently putting them in the microwave on defrost for 7-12 mins does the trick.

It does work.

I've recharged mine by putting them in the oven for a couple hours.

Went back to orange colour and reloaded into their containers.

I use a dedicated baking sheet for it.

1 Like

I’m probably missing something, but why so many baskets for desiccant?

2 Likes

That's a good idea...I can use my "saw blade cleaning" baking sheet.

2 Likes

Because I keep lots of filament on-hand. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Everyone needs a couple of those...I assume you got yours from Williams Sonoma heavy equipment section? :wink:

I have some vintage baking sheets that were my grandmothers', they are a little small for a lot of uses but will be perfect for this. I don't think the orange dessicants are techincally food safe, but S/B safer than the others that have cobalt chloride.

And dessication seems easy to restore as noted:

I wish I could show my grandparents a 3D printer. I remember my grandfather's mind was completely blown by a simple +-/x hand-held caculator I had when I showed it to him in the 70's!

Making a cool bed scraper (reduced it to 75%), just because I'm cool. (Or at least hope to be as soon as I have my new scraper.) :slight_smile:

2023-01-24 15_52_56-3D Printing

2 Likes

Just noting that my wife and I are planning a trip to Straya and parts down under some time in the next year or so, and will be stopping by your filament depot to stock up.

And don't threaten me w/the dogs, I'm bringing a ziploc full of chicken strips, I will own your puppies. :wink:

The gold silk (I think that's what it is) looks so cool...

1 Like

Close, It's a coppery orange.

1 Like

Pffft, they are labs, they'll eat almost anything and be your best mate!

2 Likes