Let's talk 3D printers!

She's gone quiet because it is her list of stuff that's occupied the printer for 2 weeks now. Currently running back-to-back-to-back 14 hour prints for her lingerie drawer (and burning through those Overture spools). If she keeps it up, SHE's going to get that X1 for valentines.

Besides, all this 3dP stuff is cheap when compared to my usual projects.

2 Likes

Ah, yes, I call it the industrial drawer complex. My wife has a gazillion boxes of different sizes in the drawers in her closet. I hadn't thought about the fact that I could make her custom closet drawer dividers/containers. DOH! Your WAF Kung Fu is better than mine, thanks for the tip.

Another one;

3 Likes

I've just started looking into Fusion 360 personal use...very powerful, and initially fairly slow (my first forary in to CAD).

It may be that I will stay in TinkerCAD a little bit longer. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If TinkerCad stole a few of the features from the old Sketchup Free, it could be truly awesome. I particularly struggle with measuring between 2 points (not the corners) on TC.

Don't even open OpenScad yet, I'm an old programmer and it still makes my brain hurt.

2 Likes

You're not likely to get a warning if an object detaches and sticks to the print head. What you will get is a blob wrapped around the hot end like I linked above. Don't ask me how I know this.

overheat

I am more than skeptical about all these supposedly fire-resistant enclosures on Amz. Since you're US-based, I strongly recommend a cheap-ish 1/4-inch cement board sold at the big box lumber stores --Hardiplank tile underlayment. It can be worked similarly to plywood. ...And I've tested it for other projects with a blowtorch.

1 Like

You put the printer on top of it, then?

What dessicant are you guys using...something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Indicating-Silica-Industry-Standard/dp/B013L31PQ0/ref=sr_1_11?crid=6XZWB28NQABS&keywords=dessicant&qid=1674575699&sprefix=dessicant%2B%2Caps%2C225&sr=8-11&th=1

I'd do a full enclosure, leaving only the front open. I'm going to mount the side panels on hinges so I can swing them back out of the way when I'm present. It is mostly the away that bothers me (mine is currently on a shelf in a big closet).

1 Like

Ah, thanks. Mine is in one of my kids' bedroom (they are both out of the house). Don't really want to leave it there, but wife has completely taken over the office w/two different work-stations (work/personal) and her sewing machine, and the printer (the fan, anyway) is too loud for it to be in that room. Garage is absolutely stuffed so no good spot in there right now.

I keep my stringing machine on a rolling cart which I really like (it's bolted to the wood piece on top). Very convenient to store in a closet, and roll out when I want to use it. However, I have a feeling that this type of platform may not be a good idea for a printer (too jiggly), and would have to be much bigger to hold the printer's larger footprint.

I had to look that up.

cart
I've had excellent results with these. I keep a big, heavy 10" miter saw mounted on one and a shaper on another. (I split it and make 2 out of 1 kit.)

TRINITY EcoStorage 4-Tier NSF Corner Wire Shelving Rack with Wheels
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007W5WA7W

1 Like

I've had a couple spools of Overture PLA and it worked well for me after running it through a dryer.

My "go to" filament is Eryone PLA & PLA+.
Also received some Eryone PETG and TPU for Christmas but haven't opened those yet.

I won a spool of Polymaker PLA via Joel Telling's giveaway last month, but still waiting for that.
My friend uses it and really likes it.

1 Like

I'm looking forward to trying these types of filament...just to make my life a bit more complicated, I guess. :wink: What are you planning on using those for?

I use the Orange Dry & Dry indicating desiccant beads, plus Dry & Dry packets in my larger storage totes.

Not sure what the difference is between the blue you linked and the orange.

1 Like

Not your normal tech/geeky thing for this forum. :slight_smile:

So you end up w/two 36" tall shelves? Or am I misunderstanding? The 72" would be taller than I want, and 36" would be too short...

PETG is mainly for stuff I print that spends a lot of time outdoors.

1 Like

Looks like one ingredient - that's the only difference I see in the descriptions. I'll get the orange, safer, especially since I have small dogs and if I dropped a few they might hoover them up.

• Orange: Orange beads are free of cobalt chloride
  • Blue: Blue beads contain less than 0.3% Cobalt Chloride which may pose health risk if ingested in large quantities; Do not use for food or medication
1 Like

Just over 10 hours for 6 baskets and 6 lids.

However the lids are stupid tight! I’m just printing another lid at 101% size to see if that is a better fit. Some designers just don’t take into account printing tolerances, which is very frustrating.

Ah yes, the modelling for masochists! Scary stuff!

I bought this one that changes colour when maxed out:

Durimoiy 2 LBS Silica Gel Beads Reusable Indicating Desiccant Beads Silica Gel Desiccant for Electronic Drying, Cabinet Storage (Industry Standard 2-4 mm)

https://amzn.asia/d/5ssXjgS