Let's talk 3D printers!

How much do you plan to run it? I have a ME background and tend to design solutions to 3D print rather than purchase something. I don't run a print farm or anything like that, but have done some smaller batch prints, like keychains, for friends.

I have an X1C from Bambu and I am guessing about 80-90% of the time it's running I'm home with it. It prints fast, so even longer large prints can be completed in the fraction of the time compared to older printers. If I do have a larger queue of prints to run off, I like to run it overnight so it's working while I sleep.

For safety, I do have a regular (non smart) smoke detector mounted above it. Though, it was primarily used with one of my older printers, Anet A8, which was known to have questionable electronics. Still a nice to have, and even if a fire would to happen while I'm asleep, it's close enough I would hear the alarm (couple rooms over from my bedroom).

Then again, after surviving with some of the early, cheap tech like the Anet A8, I feel a lot more safe knowing Bambu has built in some decent safeguards to prevent fires from happening, and even non-bambu printers contain most if not all of the safeguards.

You could definitely do more printing than I end up doing, but personally from my experience I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it. Printers these days are moving more and more to becoming a home appliance more than a hobby tool. I'm sure manufacturers spend a lot of time on R&D looking into safety measures to prevent them from having issues

1 Like

And unlike CNC machines, the actual danger level is low - the slicer takes care of all the “tool path generation” which starts from layer 1 and only ever moves up in the Z axis. Once the first printed layer is done and looks good, you can walk away.

Unlike CNC machines which move in all 3 axis’ through out the run and need some supervision. Bottom line, additive manufacturing is much easier and safer than subtractive manufacturing.

I have no idea, I have never owned one before. But it's likely that at some point I will print a large object, possibly with more than one material.

That is why I waited this long to get one.

But for safety's sake, I am still wondering if there is anything interesting to monitor besides smoke. Maybe it's not necessary these days, but I want to be careful since it's right next to the crib.

OK, just kidding about the crib, but it will be next my collection of vintage oily rags and firecrackers.

1 Like

Get a fully enclosed printer like the Bambu Lab X1C or P1S - this will prevent hot printer parts from being anywhere near flammable items.

I'm running a little 4-printer farm for household use. There is a printer or two running just about 24/7. I was very apprehensive about fire risk but have become less so after learning more about the earlier thermal runaway causes.

IMO, a fire-proof enclosure (metal, concrete board, drywall) is the best option. In the US, the big box stores sell a tile board sheet (1/4 in x 36 in x 60 in) that I've personally tested with a blowtorch. I've used it to build pump enclosures and it would be my choice if I decided to enclose a printer.