Let's talk 3D printers!

How much do you plan to run it? I have a ME background and tend to design solutions to 3D print rather than purchase something. I don't run a print farm or anything like that, but have done some smaller batch prints, like keychains, for friends.

I have an X1C from Bambu and I am guessing about 80-90% of the time it's running I'm home with it. It prints fast, so even longer large prints can be completed in the fraction of the time compared to older printers. If I do have a larger queue of prints to run off, I like to run it overnight so it's working while I sleep.

For safety, I do have a regular (non smart) smoke detector mounted above it. Though, it was primarily used with one of my older printers, Anet A8, which was known to have questionable electronics. Still a nice to have, and even if a fire would to happen while I'm asleep, it's close enough I would hear the alarm (couple rooms over from my bedroom).

Then again, after surviving with some of the early, cheap tech like the Anet A8, I feel a lot more safe knowing Bambu has built in some decent safeguards to prevent fires from happening, and even non-bambu printers contain most if not all of the safeguards.

You could definitely do more printing than I end up doing, but personally from my experience I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it. Printers these days are moving more and more to becoming a home appliance more than a hobby tool. I'm sure manufacturers spend a lot of time on R&D looking into safety measures to prevent them from having issues

1 Like

And unlike CNC machines, the actual danger level is low - the slicer takes care of all the “tool path generation” which starts from layer 1 and only ever moves up in the Z axis. Once the first printed layer is done and looks good, you can walk away.

Unlike CNC machines which move in all 3 axis’ through out the run and need some supervision. Bottom line, additive manufacturing is much easier and safer than subtractive manufacturing.

I have no idea, I have never owned one before. But it's likely that at some point I will print a large object, possibly with more than one material.

That is why I waited this long to get one.

But for safety's sake, I am still wondering if there is anything interesting to monitor besides smoke. Maybe it's not necessary these days, but I want to be careful since it's right next to the crib.

OK, just kidding about the crib, but it will be next my collection of vintage oily rags and firecrackers.

1 Like

Get a fully enclosed printer like the Bambu Lab X1C or P1S - this will prevent hot printer parts from being anywhere near flammable items.

I'm running a little 4-printer farm for household use. There is a printer or two running just about 24/7. I was very apprehensive about fire risk but have become less so after learning more about the earlier thermal runaway causes.

IMO, a fire-proof enclosure (metal, concrete board, drywall) is the best option. In the US, the big box stores sell a tile board sheet (1/4 in x 36 in x 60 in) that I've personally tested with a blowtorch. I've used it to build pump enclosures and it would be my choice if I decided to enclose a printer.

I’m setting up a peopoly magneto for my sons primary school ATM, we had it delivered to me so I could build and test it etc for them before taking it over to them (I live 5 mins away).

And this thing is a beast, I’m so jealous! It’s so big it arrived on a palette!

I ended up using the box and palette to sit it on as I had nowhere in my house it would fit! :rofl:

I ran out of time to finish setting it up today tho.

3 Likes

My son is wondering the bed size… 450mm? (He’s the one that is into 3D printing at the house… He has a Bambu X1c on order… And both a Creality CR10 Smart and Ender 3 S1 in the basement… Not sure where the Bambu is going to go… May be looking to replace the smaller Creality…)

1 Like

Build volume is massive at 400 x 300 x 300 mm.

The big feature of this machine is that there are no belts, it uses linear motors like a professional industrial CNC machine.

2 Likes

Thanks for the link! My son found it odd that it was rectangular rather than square…

1 Like

It’s a big machine, I couldn’t fit it on any of my workbenches as it was, if it was deeper, it would be even more difficult to find space for it.

1 Like

Yea, for sure! :blush:

1 Like

I thought the price to be reasonable-ish.

You posted this while I'm playing with model segments and interlocks to build a 500mm OD wind spinner.

1 Like

Considering the build quality, build volume and print speeds, I think it’s well worth the money. This thing is industrial AF, it’s 30 kilos or 66 pounds and uses a volcano length ceramic hot end.

It comes standard running Klipper and supports multiple slicers out of the box. I took the panels off for a look, it’s really impressive!

Cool to see linear motors be used in 3D Printers! Definitely feels like a potential next evolution to powertrain from stepper motors. I used a lot of linear motors in my previous job (industrial automation) and they should have significant precision improvements over belt driven stepper motors.

Price to size ratio seems pretty reasonable, especially if the print quality is on par with modern printers these days. Linear motors definitely have a higher upfront cost compared to a belt driven
stepper motor system, but from my experience tend to wear less over their time in use (no more belt stretching for one). Really as long as whatever bearing/rail system they used holds up, and the linear motor doesn't get packed up with dirt or dust, they should last a really long time. Will be cool to see how this printer holds up compared to others on the market. Definitely looks to be more industrial automation machine designed than other printers on the market.

I would love to get a large volume printer like that, though its hard to justify the cost for the few times a year I might need a print that large. For now I will stick with splitting models up into pieces, since the X1C size fits most of the things I print without issue.

1 Like

Me too, but I have to move my car out of the garage just to work on it! :weary:

I intend to get a P1S + AMS at some point - I cant really justify the extra cost of the X1C, when I already have 2 FDM printers and a pair of mostly unused resin printers.

Sounds like you need a bigger garage :joy: I feel your pain though, I have a 2 car garage but only keep one car in it because there isn't enough room for 2 cars and even half the stuff I keep in the garage.

Honestly the P1S combo is a pretty good deal. If it existed when I was looking to upgrade I probably would have went with that over the X1C. I have a couple buddies that had some old janky printers that they hated and were looking to upgrade (one was an old ender, and the other was a old flashforge). They both got P1S combos and so far are very satisfied with them. My one buddies dad was so impressed, he was even considering upgrading his old Prusa (MK3 I believe).

1 Like

I've had my A1 combo for 4 days now and it is living up to the hype: so far, it Just Works. I've already printed some objects I designed and I didn't start CAD studies until the day I got it.

And, there's a Zwave smoke detector over it now, too...

2 Likes

Same, but my insurance company demands we garage our cars or they will raise our rates - despite living in a low crime are. :man_facepalming:

It's all built, now I just need some time to power it up and test it.

1 Like

Nice, congrats - that's a rock solid printer with great features!

From the comments:

Peopoly's MAGNETO X!!! Magnetic Linear Motors! NO BELTS!!! - YouTube When I was working in the mechatronics industry, we used linear motors like this for one of our robots, but much larger (2m long gantries). We did have to post warnings about pacemaker risks, around our robot, but the magnets were much stronger. If you got a screwdriver within a hundred mm, the magnet track would grab the tool out of your hand and you would spend the next 10 minutes slowly easing the tool away from it. That's if the force didn't crack a magnet and you'd have to spend the next hour replacing that segment of magnet track.

Since that machine was designed, the industry has moved from open surface linear motors like this, to U channel linear motors, where the strongest magnetic fields are contained within the channel, these have a much lower personal and mechanical risks associated with them. They are much easier to keep clean as the open side can be sealed off from the environment, which can be important in industrial or clean room environments.

One big advantages of linear rails, by the way, is the fact that you can run multiple motors on the same magnet/encoder track. Our gantry robot had two X tracks running on the Y track, and six heads on each of these X tracks. Imagine being able to print as many copies of an item as you have heads, or switching filament by just moving a head into position rather than changing the tool head. Linear motors offer a world of opportunities.

2 Likes