Let's Set The Course of... Rooms

I am a fan of the potential for the Rooms feature, but I would also like to see it progress beyond the current setup. For that to happen it will take more than my private wishes, we all need to contribute. So don't be shy... If only to support the idea of another Community member, pile on and offer suggestions to see Rooms take off and define Hubitat Elevation like it should.

Detail your suggestions for the expansion of the Rooms feature below as responses to this post. I will include them in the list below, but will first let any discussion play out to completion, allowing a logical conclusion to be reached on whether the suggestion holds water.

For my contribution:

• Default lights group setup based on lights linked to a Room
  • Motion Sensor Zone setup based on Motion Sensors linked to a Room
  • Contact Sensors, you get the idea....
  • Speakers....

Simon

1 Like

I’ll make again the same suggestion I made when Rooms were first introduced: allow devices to be in multiple rooms simultaneously.

Use case: in large open plan houses, where there are no walls between the dining room, living room, and kitchen, some lights (track lights, arrays of pendant lights, etc) span multiple rooms. This is not the same as groups. I was ridiculed when I made the suggestion before, told it would never be adopted. I can accept that, it’s not my company. But perhaps the passage of time has caused reflection.

8 Likes

That use case also exists for me in motion lighting, and would never (I hope) ridicule someone for making a suggestion. If I have I apologise...

I don't see why anyone would ridicule that, it seems like obvious functionality. I don't live in a large, open plan house and I still have lights that border two rooms.

1 Like

I still vote for getting rid of the rooms concept altogether in favor of a more flexible generic tagging system with filtering. This is largely a selfish request, as I don't group things by physical location, so "rooms" isn't useful for me.

Why limit it to "rooms"?

If you could add arbitrary tags to devices, and then filter the view based on tag (or better, multiple tags), you could cover hundreds of grouping and use case scenarios.

• Want to see all battery devices? Add a battery tag to battery devices (or maybe have the system automatically do that..) and filter that way.
  • Want to group by physical location (aka "rooms")? No problem you could still do that.
  • Want to group by logical function regardless of location? Add that tag.
  • Want to do ALL OF THE ABOVE? No problem, after you tag your stuff just change your filter to see what you want!
19 Likes

This is what I've been asking for. It would be wonderful to collapse or sort the list based on "Device type" or "Connection type" or whatever we want, rather than have to take up valuable character space prepending letters or symbols.

3 Likes

No, Simon, it wasn’t any member of the user community.

That's good to hear. And a good suggestion. backed up by @JasonJoel 's post and my own opinions (most importantly :slight_smile: ).

1 Like

I agree you idea does have merit. Thank you for posting. It is most unfortunate for users here to have such an experience, I agree though that I have seen it before.

Here is hoping your idea gets some reflection.

2 Likes

The concept of zones as Hue would label them is certainly something I would like to see...

I want to find @thebearmay 's contributions in this space, but can't find them in recent posts..... such a shame.... Anyway, hopefully the additional data elements will provide some of the requests made here already, obviously with the need for internal systems to make use of these.

Here is that post:

1 Like

I was thinking more of the device attributes drivers and associated drivers...,but all links welcome. Don't worry, I'll find it eventually...

2 Likes

If I am going to be pedantic, I would ask @aaiyar, @pfmiller, @Inge_Jones, @bptworld, @moh, @672southmain to claim their allegiance to @JasonJoel 's suggestions as I interpret them:

• Capability driven groups such as battery devices
  • Rooms as they currently stand
  • Tags
3 Likes

Are you saying that the hub's software should automatically recognise capability grouping, otherwise it's just another tag. Wasn't sure why Rooms need be a special case either? To me it's just another additional or alternative way of categorising

true, I'm proposing, like others (I think), that capabilities are a group / room all of their own.

1 Like

I'd prefer a truly flexible tagging system where tags can be used as primary and secondary sort and collapse indices. Isn't it easier to implement as well? However I could live with the way you summarised as long as tags can be used as filters in the UI

No comment :slight_smile:

Tempting as it may be, I'll draw the line here....

(Except to say :wink: ) It seems like tags are a thing....

1 Like

Yes anyway I was already agreeing with Jason's in my first post in the thread, which sounds more instinctive to me than your OP that builds on the existing system. But there may be things that I've not thought of. Just my gut feel and normal approach to these things.

1 Like

There are no wrong or right answers, only popular one's that should be put to those in whom we trust :slight_smile:

2 Likes