Lack of response from support

I agree and for me this has been going on since before the new users were added around Thanksgiving. I seem to get an initial response when I open a new ticket requesting additional information but I can never seem to get a follow up response with an actual solution.

I'm not sure if this is a ticket backlog issue or an issue with the ticketing system and follow up responses but it's a serious problem if you want to provide quality support. Seems there is only one person handling support tickets. @bobbyD

1 Like

Hi there, I took a look at your tickets and they are related to your Schlage locks not communicating properly with your hub. Unfortunately, there isn't much we can do to help improve your experience, other than recommending to include/exclude and adding repeaters to strengthen your Z-Wave mesh. Are there any other outstanding tickets that have not been addressed? If there are, please send me a private message and I'd be more than happy to look into it.

My experience has been identical to yours. I also share those concerns about support being a one man show.

1 Like

@aaiyar
Thank you. I have also tagged @bobbyD, sent several e-mails practically begging for support, and heard nothing in 2 weeks. Iā€™m new to Hubitat and I can honestly say that I would not have started this migration (from Wink) if Iā€™d known there would be so many compatibility issues and lack of support.

@kharrison What kind of compatibility issues?.. I am a new user (2 weeks in) and migrated my 80 devices without any issue...

1 Like

@bcopeland
This is the first time Iā€™ve tried to include a link to a discussion thread on this forum, so I hope this works

@kharrison Interesting.. I have some of the same model switches... I donā€™t use z-wave poller though as I never manually control them, so I didnā€™t care about them not reporting... Iā€™m going to try turning that on tomorrow and see if I have the same issue... If I see the issue and come up with a solution, Iā€™ll let you know...

2 Likes

@kharrison

Likewise. I had several of these switches/dimmers (until Thanksgiving). I did use the z-wave poller app when I first moved to Hubitat and found it slowed my z-wave network to a crawl. So I turned it off.

The switches worked fine until I replaced them with Zooz zwave+ switches/dimmers. Zooz had a Thanksgiving sale that I took advantage of.

Edit - found my post from when I found that z-wave poller caused random z-wave slowdown issues:

2 Likes

Could you post the one for the backups?
Thanks

Thanks for getting back to me. My biggest issues are the lock issues that I continue to have troubles with (never had issues with Wink using the same locks) even after adding repeaters and my hub being unresponsive. I've setup the reboot rule to see if that helps with daily reboots. I've looked at system events and logs and don't see where it shows a reboot. Can you tell me where I can see the reboot times?

No offense, but this is irrelevant. You wouldnā€™t remove a video card from one PC, put it into another, and when it does work, blame the PC, right? You might if everyone that tried any video card in that PC said they donā€™t work, but that outcome would be as illogical as thinking that a hub simply doesnā€™t work with a type of radio technology itā€™s designed to work with.

You either need a Z-Wave repeater in-between the hub and the locks ( as close to the middle point as possible), or you need different locks if youā€™ve already excluded, factory reset, joined the locks close to the hub, did a Z-Wave repair, and are still getting poor results. I donā€™t see mention of what locks. You need to let people here know so they can offer advice. Sometimes thereā€™s something particular that needs to be done. Locks especially, can be very specific based on brand, model and installed radio ( and sub-set of that radio type too). Sometimes the advice is to change to Zigbee radio because the Z-Wave in that particular lock doesnā€™t work well on HE.

This by no means says that Z-Wave locks in HE donā€™t work well. I have a Yale YRD256 Z-Wave Plus lock and it works perfectly, always has. No repeater needed. My lock is 10 feet from the hub, with minimal obstruction.

2 Likes

@bobbyD mentioned that @tobyp24 had Schlage locks.

@tobyp24
I, too, have original zwave Schlage locks (FE599, BE469) - my initial experience with them on HE was not good. Adding Aeotec range extenders has helped tremendously. After adding the range extenders, I've only had one major lock flakeout been May and December - and that turned out to be a generalized zwave issue that wasn't lock specific. At this juncture, my locks are as reliable as they were on Wink.

3 Likes

Sure. Here you go:

#!/bin/bash
#
he_login=hubitat_login
he_passwd=hubitat_password
#
he_ipaddr=hubitat_ip_address
cookiefile=`/bin/mktemp`
backupdir=/opt/hubitat/hubitat-backup/hubitat
backupfile=$backupdir/$(date +%Y%m%d-%H%M).lzf
#
find $backupdir/*.lzf -mtime +5 -exec rm {} \;
curl -k -c $cookiefile -d username=$he_login -d password=$he_passwd https://$he_ipaddr/login
curl -k -sb $cookiefile https://$he_ipaddr/hub/backupDB?fileName=latest -o $backupfile
rm $cookiefile
2 Likes

Unfortunately, @tobyp24 has one (of several locks) that is bringing his mesh to its knees. And despite adding repeaters, things are not looking any better for him :frowning:

1 Like

@tobyp24

Have you identified the offending lock? That would be the first step to fixing this issue. There may be better ways, but I would simply disconnect the batteries to each lock individually and wait to determine if the rest of the zwave network is ok after a few hours. It may take a few days, but you'll find the culprit.

1 Like

Yes, we identified the problematic lock is the front door lock so unfortunately we can't just leave it offline for several days to test. I've already tried excluding, factory resetting and pairing this device several times. It's also the same model as the other locks in my house and never gave me issues with Wink so I know it's not the device.

1 Like

Sorry, but thatā€™s not possible. The hub canā€™t be exclusively incompatible. If all the locks are the same brand and model, but just one doesnā€™t work right and is causing your Z-Wave network to come ā€œto its kneesā€, that one lock does have an issue. Whether the way Wink designed their Z-Wave, or something specific they did to eliminate problems with this particular lock, neither matters in HE. Itā€™s not going to help you troubleshoot by using Wink as a measurement.

Do you have new batteries in the lock that is giving you trouble?

3 Likes

That's unlikely. A properly functioning device would not bring a zwave network to it's knees. Something has happened to it while excluding it from Wink.

I had a similar experience early on with Wink (in 2014). Schlage sent me a replacement lock for free. Have you contacted Schlage?

2 Likes

Thanks @aaiyar it seems that the only real solution is to replace the switches. My understanding so far, is that Hubitat doesn't natively maintain a correct state for these z-wave switches (unlike smartthings or wink); the provided solution of using the poller app causes more problems than it fixes. Replacement would not be an insignificant cost for me, because I have 24 of these type switches, and at least half of them are in situations where they need to be physically controlled (bathroom fans, secondary lights, etc.) at least occasionally. That's over $300 to replace ~12 switches like the GE 12722, which are listed as compatible! My question to Hubitat, is why are these switches on the device compatibility list?

Wink support was insanely good. I haven't met a company with phone operators that had that much tech knowledge.

On the flip side, Wink didn't have support for the number of devices Hubitat has so it is a trade off. Easy to support a handful of devices well.

2 Likes