Kwikset 620

Hi, new to community here!

I'm hoping someone can suggest how I might be able to add this lock (the Kwikset 620) to my Habitat for control. I'm comfortable adding custom drivers and modifying code.

Currently when I add it, it instead adds as "RGBgenie Micro Switch ZW-4004".

Thanks!

Try manually changing the driver to Generic Zwave Lock.

1 Like

Not sure how active you are on here @jacob1. Any feedback on your experience with the Kwikset Home Connect 620 would be greatly appreciated.

I finally gave up on finding the 914 in the Contemporary style and Zigbee protocol. If I have to go Z-Wave, I might as well go with their latest 700-chip offering.

Hi @Hatallica happy to add some experience:

1. I have a funny shaped house and it looks like I'm going to need a repeater to go about 50 feet because HE -> Lock #3 is through 5 walls. Can't offer too much feedback yet because they mis-shipped the lock in non-contemporary style (so waiting for replacement)

2. Two additional 620 locks in reasonable distance from the HE. No problems pairing in place.

3. 620/HE acts fine with the "Generic Z-wave Lock" driver. Process of initializing first code is a bit buggy. Best thing I recommend is create the first code in the lock so you can see the data formatting structure.

Other than that, I haven't had any problems. That said, haven't had the locks too long. I'll try to remember and come back with updates.

Good stuff! Thanks!

I have 3 of the Z-Wave 700 version of the Home Connect 620 (there is a zwave 500 version too - same name, so buyer beware).

The 620 is completely different from the kwikset 9xx models. The motor is quieter in the 620, which I like.

All 3 of mine are working great.

1 Like

I have an 888 and 912, both are using generic zwave lock.

I cannot add the 620 lock as a Generic Z-wave lock. Starts out looking good with a message "Found z-wave device with ID 0E, initializing...." but then the clock runs down with a message that I'm having trouble connecting.
Have tried factory reset of lock and excluding numerous times without success.
The only thing that works every time is adding manually, but that results in lock being added as a RGB genie Micro Switch, which it clearly is not.
Maybe a rookie mistake since I'm new to Hubitat, but sure is frustrating.

If you add it manually and then change the Device Type to Generic Zwave Lock and hit Configure, does it work?

2 Likes

Great - that worked!! For these generic device types, where do I go for descriptions of what the commands and codes mean. Some are obvious but others not so much. Thanks!!!

I'm having an issue with one of my 620's being unresponsive; that is, not being reachable by the HE for updates in status or settings. It's the only one that is not direct-connected to my HE. At first I thought it was a distance thing but I have tested both 1 and 2 relays (one being a light switch, the other being a Ring relay).

Is anyone else having a similar experience? I believe I've already swapped units so I don't think it's a defective device.

--
Follow-up on this. Moved a repeater to another room (farther away) and all of a sudden it worked. Can't figure but there it is.

What did you do to add these? My lock just gets stuck initializing.

I was able to 'Include' the lock using "Add device manually - Zwave" I got the S2 security pop-up and entered the 5 digit code from the lock and then it was added, but identified as an RGBgenie microswitch which it clearly is not.

So then, at the suggestion of another member, I clicked on the device, scrolled down to the device information section, and changed the type to Generic Z-Wave lock. Now everything works.

I am using the Lock Code Manager app to manage my user codes. Nice feature here is that I can activate codes for the dog sitter, etc. for only the days and times that these folks are scheduled to be here

2 Likes

Thanks I will give it another shot. Seems like I tried this once before without success, but I don't remember if the steps were exactly the same.

I got this to work, but I had to add a powered zwave device, in this case a zwave light switch (UltraPro) to build the mesh. Alexa still doesn't recognize the lock but it is controllable from HE. The Alexa Hubitat skill doesn't see the lock to be able to control it. The only Kwikset lock Alexa will recognize is the Kwikset Halo.

Pretty sure that most, if not all Kwikset smartlocks are controllable - I have a couple of 913 Zwave+ locks that work fine with HE and Alexa.

1 Like

Got it working. Just needed to check a box so Alexa could see the device.

2 Likes

Can you please verify that you can change/add lock codes with the Kwikset 620? I had a 914 that no longer worked and Kwikset said they don’t make it anymore. So it was replaced with a 620 and I can’t seem to do anything with this lock and Hubitat. Granted I’m new to Hubitat and this is ridiculously unintuitive but I’m following these steps exactly and outside of changing the type to Generic Z-Wave lock the app to manage codes does not work. I keep getting job failed after waiting for a minute to add codes. I can’t get this to work. Also if anyone has any advice on how to lock or unlock this lock remotely using Hubitat please let me know. I cannot get anything to function and I’m about to return this.

Welcome aboard!

Yes, for sure you can both set codes and lock/unlock remotely.

I have found that sometimes it has issues with code setting if you don't manually add one code first.

In terms of remote access, setting up a VPN on your phone or laptop to your "home" location (router) and using the web interface is what I've done.

It's also possible to set up auto-locking routines, though I've not fully debugged that yet.

Can also create a dashboard with the lock on it, and access it without a VPN.