Konnected Alarm Panel wired alarm system integration

I just got my HE C7 and this looks interesting. When taking over the existing panel will the devices be seen by Hubitat as devices to use? I'd like to use my built in door sensors for triggering other rules.

Yes of course. That's kinda the whole point!

Thanks @nate I assumed so but wanted to be sure.

Any chance of getting an updated code? The Hubitat battery backup is no longer listed (I get a 404)

I just moved from my Vista 20P panel to Konnected, seemed to be an easy transition. I only have 6 Zones (2 Motion Sensors & 4 Doors). After wondering why my Doors sensors were not working I found the resistors at the sensors, why anyone would do that I'm not sure.... Anyway those have all been removed and I am trying to get them working correctly. Problem is the door sensors when closed are reposting as opened and when opened reporting as closed. As of right now one door is correct the other three are wrong. Last night I had three correct.... after removing and adding them back in a few times. I put in a support ticket and was told to "In the Smartapp for that zone - just inverse the reading. Hubitat - smartapp - konnected - board - next - you should be able to change it in there." Not sure where that is, I looked. Has anyone else had this issue? Thanks

There’s a setting in the HE contact sensor device that determines whether the circuit is normally open or normally closed.

2 Likes

Andy from Tech Support helped me out, changed the "Normally" Closed/Open from closed option to open. Had to restart the Konnected board for each.

2k ohm resistors at the sensors are common and used to monitor the loop. Some panels support dual zoning and use two different resistance resistors and are used to differentiate the different loops wired to the same zone.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, in the installation video it shows them at the panel, then removing them. I'm guessing my builder put them at the switches to not have them showing within the panel.

Having them at the panel basically bypasses the use case for having them at the sensor. The panel requires a resistance so they stuck them at the panel instead of hooking them up at the sensors.

2 Likes

Here's way more info than you probably care for but it's basically used as a tamper protection.

Tamper Proof Security System Wiring.

Well, depends if the sensor is wired NO or NC, of course. I've seen many times the resistor is at the panel if NC, as location doesn't matter as much in that case.

You wire the resistor right before the sensor in NC and can still monitor for shorts and cuts.

1 Like

My thoughts on it -

1. It doesn't matter where in the loop the resistor is on NC wired sensors. (EDIT: I changed my mind on this, see below).
  2. I don't really care if it a NC is cut, as it will trip the alarm anyway. Yes, it would be nice to know if cut vs really open for repair purposes though or false alarm avoidance.

I didn't care until I had a wire that was damaged below a window sill.

When we bought the house here all the resistors were at the panel. I ended up upgrading from the Vista 16p to the Vista 21ip for 4g lte and ethernet reporting and dual zoning. I also added a few zone expanders and wired each sensor to it's own zone and then moved the resistor to the sensor.

Part of moving each sensor to it's own zone was to trace out which sensor was bad, but it also made importing all of it into Hubitat via Envisalink nice.

1 Like

You know what, I'm wrong on this. I retract my comments.

The best is dual resistor configs, but if you are only doing one it is really a little better to do at the sensor than the panel - depending on what protection you are going for.

Sorry - should have just kept quiet. LOL

I think the discussion is good. Most people have no idea what they are for and probably just make it look more complicated than it really is.

Moving them to the sensors also really cleaned up my panel box.

If you have the Konnected boards you could probably still use the resistors at the sensors and just tune the twisties on the konnected boards to wide open. Guess it depends on what resistance the Konnected board is looking for.

Well, that's true. It isn't rocket science, but there are considerations that should be made in deciding how to wire it up.

I was just happy that in this house they ran all sensors back to the panel, and didn't daisy-chain any of them. I was (happily) shocked, actually, that they did that.

Yea they had home runs for all mine as well and just looped the zones in the box at the panel. Made splitting them out way easier.

1 Like