Keenect Lite (Release)

Removing Your ecobee is possible, but it would mean not as accurate control. I can do a write-up if you want. It would involve setting up the master as a vt an feeding it a temperature from a sensor.

However, the system would not do fan only, cooling or heating state accurately and might lower the vent battery life. Your vents would move when your ecobee is not on.

I tried using a spare Fibaro sensor as a master as you describe, but saw no benefit, and I had a great deal of confusion as to which VT setting is actually in control, because I want to use completely different settings for the zones.

IMHO, no Ecobee lags and errors gives me more accurate control of the zones.
The Fibaro zone sensors, being local, are more responsive than working thru the Ecobee API with its several-minute lags, and I can set them to report and react to a fractional-degree change.

The only downside I can see in that removing the master thermostat from KL is the error message that happens when it starts up after boot.

Maybe make removing no-Master a choice and eliminate the error?

I am not going to go without the master.
You can get the same effect by installing a VT in the master and putting the VT heating setpoint above the VT temperature or the cooling setpoint below the VT temperature.

OK - so I want one zone set to 80- 82 (bathroom) and another (bedroom) set to 74-75.
What master VT settings would you advise for setting a master VT to automatically accomodate cooling and heating for that?

Assuming it is summer, go to you main VT and set the cooling setpoint to 60 and set the main VT mode to cool.
Go to each zone VT, and set the cooling setpoint to your desired cooling setpoint.

In winter do everything in heat mode. Set the main VT heat setpoint to 90.

So without a thermostat connection and manual switching this wouldn't change from heating to cooling and back again?
That's just silly. Even in summer I need heat most nights, and I didn't buy a Hubitat so I could manually reset the temps twice a day.
You're saying that KL does not not actually do Home Automation, just homeowner-assisted temp-setting?
IMHO, it works much better without a thermostat connection at all.

Now, if I may make a suggestion, that I have made before.
Since you do not want to use your ecobee, use this app

And update the master VT. Put appropriate set points in the master VT and it will work as well as it can without a proper thermostat.

I have been using that since you mentioned it. Works fine with KL and a VT for each vent - no Master needed.

Ok, as long as you have something'that is working for you.

Thanks - working nicely with no Master with the exception of the one error message - no other errors logged in almost 20 hours.

That error will only happen on saving the master. It is to init the app.

I'm seeing null for setpoint for the tile. The thermostat is a virtual one. I see in the VT device that the setpoint is set to 66.

Screenshot%20from%202019-07-01%2013-20-19

In your Keenect zone app, click on the gear icon and take a pic of the application state.

I’m betting the zone hasn’t started heating or cooling since you updated. That is when the setpoint is updated.

1 Like

Okay, trying to add the tiles.
2. Create a new virtual device using the KeenectLiteDisplay Driver
3. Set the IDE logging to whatever level you desire
4. Click Save Preferences and then Save Device

Simple enough - BUT - what "feeds" the data to the tile? Shouldn't there be a step here that links to the VT or something?

You need to point one of the zones to feed the device.

Knew it must be something simple - doh :man_facepalming:

Here's a thought about functionality... I've noticed the vents adjust along with room temperature even when the system is not "running". Seems a waste of batteries to adjust vents if system is idle.

mine don't do that. If it is idle, they should not move. Can you take a screenshot of your setup for a zone and put a zone on need help logging, and post that too?

I changed logging to NeedHelp and I'll try to catch logs when it happens next. Just made a bunch of changes, so might be okay now. Suspect the issue may be caused by the delay between system changing state (active/idle) and when Ecobee reports the change back to HE - like a couple of minutes it appears. So it could be that the A/C completes a run (and vents are closed) but before Ecobee "reports" idle status the temp goes back up a degree and they open again. Maybe.