Keen Vent 'issue'

That is an unknown to me, what Keen does for voltage, and I didn't see a clear answer for this battery eliminator either. I suppose you could swap out the power supply to the correct voltage.

For sure, but better than a set of batteries every week. I hope you have rechargables? And on that topic, you probably should be using something like an Eneloop or other LSD battery.

So they explicitly say it works with other hubs on their site. I cannot believe that they cannot or will not investigate this issue. If this device doesn't work well with other hubs, they should remove that from their site. Myself, I would press for some type of refund or replacement of these devices.

I think it does that automatically, especially on a newly added device.

If it turns off after 20 minutes, how are we supposed to investigate the issue on our own? Guess I'll email HE support to see if they have any ideas.

Oh, and I would just like to say that I have used the included Alkalines, Eneloop blacks, whites, and also I have AA lithium-ion rechargeables, which work amazing in all my other devices. (Not cheap though.) There MIGHT be a range of 2-3 weeks depending on battery type and usage, but it's never more than that, no matter what.

I just emailed Hubitat support with my fingers crossed, and also Keen again. I am asking them if I were to purchase one of their hubs, if they could gaurantee it works and actually support me. I did question why it is that they specifically market the product to work with third-party hubs, that they are unwilling to support it at all when used in that manner. We will see what they say.

I swapped to a 12-hour cycle test, and it only lasted 2 days. Sigh.

I had another 2x daily test that lasted 27 days. That's the highest I've ever seen.

Everyone one I have ever talked to about these vents say they chew through batteries like crazy.

If it helps, my 5 vents go through 1 set every 6 months in summer. During summer they are moving once every 45 minutes or so.

This is astounding! What driver are you using? I assume paired directly to HE hub?

Stock driver through the hub.

I also have a Keen vent paired directly to the HE hub using the stock driver that gets about 6 months on a set of batteries. It does not appear to be repeating through any other device. It only moves a couple times a day or so.

I experienced the same battery life on Smartthings.

I am wondering if there are design changes keen made over the years that made things worse. I have one of the original builds.

1 Like

Mine is 2-3 years old. I don't remember the exact purchase date.

Mine are all from the November-January timeframe.

FYI, the keen vents run on 3v. The vent will run with at least one set of the four batteries installed. Mine are all hardwired using 3-volt supplies.

Dang, so it's basically running in 2s2p and STILL killing the batteries in like two weeks. That's nuts.

I was helping @shawng with keeenect and he commented that the vent would not go to full open and would register 85% open when commanded to 100%. I wonder if it is still driving the motor to open and draining the battery that way.

@mike.maxwell Hi, any reason why under the Hubitat hub, the following configure command is not understood by the Hub, and not transmitted to the Keen Home vents:

// Yves Racine 2015/09/10: use new custom pressure attribute
    // pressure - type: int32u, change: 1 = 0.1Pa, 500=50 PA, 50000=5000PA (C350), 
    "zcl global send-me-a-report 0x0403 0x20 0x22 300 3600 {C35000}", "delay 200" +
    "send 0x${device.deviceNetworkId} 1 1", "delay 1500",

A similar report command works fine under the SmartThings hub. That might explain why some users are going through their batteries faster than others.

Errors under the logs:

sys:12021-07-09 07:55:41.114 Unable to send Zigbee message: zcl global read 0x0403 0x20 from zigbee id: 0022A300000FED67, message type is unknown.

sys:12021-07-09 07:55:40.912 Unable to send Zigbee message: zcl mfg-code 0x115B from zigbee id: 0022A300000FED67, message type is unknown.

The following zigbee command to report temperature is working fine.

"zcl global send-me-a-report 0x0402 0 0x29 300 3600 {6400}", "delay 500",
    "send 0x${device.deviceNetworkId} 1 1", "delay 1500",

Regards.

1 Like

Our inbuilt driver disables both temp and pressure reports, so I don't understand how that would decrease battery life.
In any event I'll have a look why that command is being rejected.

Hi, that's for the default driver, but a lot of Hubitat users have a custom driver..

Thnx for your help.