Kasa Dimmer Switch (wifi)

Trying to add a Kasa Dimmer HS220 (wifi) and Hubitat C8 using the KASA integration and it won't add it

I'm seeing this error in the log
KasaInt-2.3.6: addDevice: [status:failedToAdd, label:Soffit Dimmer, driver:kasaSmart_plug_dimmer, ip:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, errorMsg:com.hubitat.app.exception.UnknownDeviceTypeException: Device type 'kasaSmart_plug_dimmer' in namespace 'davegutBuiltin' not found]

Seeing some guidance in the community here but I don't see anything specific where I can update the device name

Can someone point me to where I can update the devicename to see if I can get this working in Hubitat? I've used the Kasa Integration to set up wifi smart plugs and have had no issues.

This indicates you are not on the current version. Need to update Hub to latest version and try again. Hard for me to troubleshoot a baseline I do not have installed.

The HS200 is not a dimmer. It is a simple switch. Please provide the following:

• Model Number and Name from the Kasa Phone App, Dimmers in the Kasa line are the KS240, HS220-LA, KS225 (Matter), ES20MP, ES20M, KS220, and KS230. Be explicit, please, so I can research.
  • Firmware version from the Kasa Phone App.

Something is not right. Help me solve it.

Thanks for this information. I've updated the Hub to the latest version and retried the install. This time it doesn't find the device in the scan, and when I check under the gear icon this is reported
failedAdds ArrayList [{driver=kasaSmart_plug_dimmer, ip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, label=Soffit Dimmer}]
From the phone app:
Model: HS220
Hardware Version: 3.26
Firmware Version: 1.0.1

From the packaging:
HS220(CA) (& apologies for the typo)
Version 3.20

Thanks for the reply. The version you have is a brand new (March 20 initial firmware release) hardware build and can not use the Built-In integration. The API, port, and encoding are based on the Tapo (i call it TP-Link protocol).

Work-around: Use the TP-Link integrtion at link: [RELEASE] TP-LINK TAPO Plug, Switch, Bulb, Hub and Robovac Integration

AFTER YOU OPEN THE APP, SELECT the OPTION "Install Kasa Hub and Matter Devices".

Thanks for this information - I installed the new integration and it won't find the dimmer, checking the logs I see this:
esPage: WAITING ON YOU. [installedDevices:, uninstalledDevices:[:], requiredDrivers:]
app:372024-04-26 08:09:18.067infotapo_device_install-2.3.7b: addDevicesPage: FINDING DEVICES. [action:getSmartLanData, timeOut:10, hostArray:[2, 254], pollSegment:[XXX.XXX.X]]
app:372024-04-26 08:09:15.657infotapo_device_install-2.3.7b: starting Tapo Setup and Installation, kasaMatter = false
app:372024-04-26 08:09:08.529infotapo_device_install-2.3.7b: addDevicesPage: WAITING ON YOU. [installedDevices:, uninstalledDevices:[:], requiredDrivers:]
app:372024-04-26 08:09:02.110infotapo_device_install-2.3.7b: starting Tapo Setup and Installation, kasaMatter = false
app:372024-04-26 08:08:49.413infotapo_device_install-2.3.7b: addDevicesPage: FINDING DEVICES. [action:getSmartLanData, timeOut:10, hostArray:[2, 254], pollSegment:[XXX.XXX.X]]
app:372024-04-26 08:08:45.101infotapo_device_install-2.3.7b: starting Tapo Setup and Installation, kasaMatter = false

KasaMatter = false indicates you did not select the option

Ah - once again thanks. I didn't see the option, but will find it and select it when I am back onsite in a few days.

1 Like

Tried it with the Option "Install Kasa Hub and Matter Devices" set and at first it wouldn't find the dimmer switch, but after a couple of tries and opening it on my mobile Kasa app (which I think was in the install instructions) it found the device and its installed!

Thanks so much!

1 Like