Issues with Iris Smart Plugs as Z-Wave Repeaters

Out of 15. Five of the plugs are more than 3 years old so most likely with old firmware but no problem yet. Guess a $27 hub is not a bad deal.

In ST having with OTA on, will this provide firmware updates to the Iris Motion Sensors? In the process of a very slow migration that is growing into Lutron Caseta upgrade. So while I am looking forward to being on HE, I am taking it really slow. Started out with my basement (3 rooms so far) this weekend and ran fairly smooth. Paired about 35 devices including some in the next floor above. Really looking forward to moving to Caseta. Plan is to use the newer of the existing GE Switches, some zigbee and zwave, in closets to help as repeaters through the house. I had some issues with hub lock ups this weekend. I removed several programs to no avail but last night I removed IFTTT and things have appeared better so far but there has been little traffic in the house today. Also, I cant say that I noticed any sluggishness in the system either, just locked up. Past logs did not contain any errors but most of the time there was an app event that was the last entry, so I started removing some of those apps but no help. I also removed the z-wave repeater discussed hear and ran a repair but had a lockup later on which prompted me to remove IFTTT. Could also be some silly error in a rule I made to.

One more question about zigbee channels. Here is what I current have. Should it be setup differently?
HE: 20
ST: 19
HUE:11

Thanks!

I received the Iris hub, paired 2 device but I'm not sure if I suppose to activate something to allow device update, or it's automatic? Thanks

I'm not sure either! :wink: Last night I paired a motion sensor with old firmware. I forgot to check it this morning to see if it auto-updated yet...

Ok, let me know if it updates the firmware, thanks.

I just checked and the motion sensor has updated its firmware.

1 Like

Shouldn't be a problem but I would change Hue to 25, move HE a little lower around 15 if possible. Unless you are going to get rid of ST soon cause you can't change ST zigbee channel or disable the radio.
Saying that, I have HE and ST both on channel 20, Hue 25 and wink 2 on an unknown channel with no problem at all.

Dan, I believe zigbee devices always retain the same network ID. Did you leave the devices in HE and just reset them to include with the Iris hub for firmware update? Then when pairing back did it sync pack up with the previous device?

I just bought an Iris hub myself while on sale for firmware updates.

Exactly! I manually reset the Motion Sensors and Water Sensors, then paired to the Iris Hub. It seems like the hub will only upgrade the firmware in the middle of the night. I did use the Iris "Remove Device" feature to remove the sensors. This left them ready to be paired again with Hubitat. They popped right back where they belonged as if nothing had happened. I may have had to removed and reinstall the battery in each device to get it into pairing mode (i.e. blinking blue light.)

1 Like

Awesome news! You mentioned water sensors and I hadn't thought of those. I have the older ST branded Centralite water sensors and wanted to confirm those may have an updated firmware too? I plan to move over my Iris Motions, Smart Plugs, Temp/Humidity Sensor to see.

They are supposed to update firmware when first paired with the Iris Hub, but I found that is not always the case, sometimes you do need to leave them connected over night. But I have had some devices update as soon as they were connected to the Iris hub.

Also the window/door sensor and motions firmware can be upgrade with a ST hub.

I am not sure about those. I would guess not, though.

The SmartPlugs are a little more worrisome. I only upgrade one of those so far. I am concerned about somehow creating phantom Z-Wave repeater devices within Hubitat. I cannot seem to figure out how to Exclude the Z-Wave Repeater portion from Hubitat before moving the 3210-L outlet over to the Iris Hub for a firmware upgrade. Let me know if you figure out how to do it without a Forced Z-Wave Removal. I really don't want to mess up my z-wave mesh.

But if you do a forces removal and then do a z-wave repair after it is re-joined to your z-wave network, wouldn't that fix the problem? Or does that not get fixed by z-wave repair? Because I have 5 of these suckers and would like to update to the latest firmware if i go to the trouble of getting the iris hub.

Thank you for confirming that!! Now I might actually go get an Iris hub to update the firmware. I was hesitant because I didn't want to have to rebuild all of the automations I have with those motion and contact sensors since ALL of my contact sensors are Iris and most of my motion sensors. Thanks Dan!!!

2 Likes

The removal is the same way to pair them but with the hub in exclude mode and maybe a log window open. I did it 2 days ago with my "developer" hub lol

1 Like

Yes, someone else here suggested keeping a log windows open and that should be standard practice for excluding in my opinion. I always do it now. Open log windows, open device hit remove (the zwave device). Then hit the button on the iris plug 8-10time quickly. When it excludes you WILL see it in the log. If you don't see it in the log...it didn't exclude and try again.

You mean Put the hub into exclude mode, correct?

When I excluded mine I went through the device page and hit Remove...then while the window was open, hit the button a bunch of times until Hubitat kicked me back to the main Device page. I was assuming that since I never hit Force Remove and Hubitat initiated the page change that I was good to go...any reason to assume differently?

1 Like

So, hitting remove on the device page begins a z-wave exclude?!? Never saw that documented anywhere. Thanks.

Yeah if you hit Remove Device from the device page, it will prompt you with a warning, then if you hit Remove from the warning window you get this:

There's no confirmation that the device was successfully excluded this way (which is why I was asking), but Hubitat will auto-close this window and kick you back to the main Devices page. If the exclusion doesn't work or nothing happens, a "Force Remove" option will appear after 20-30 seconds or so.

I'm not certain about this but I was assuming that if you go through the device page, it will only allow this device to be excluded. My fear doing a general device exclusion is always that someone will turn on a light or something while the hub is in exclusion mode, and the wrong device will be inadvertently excluded.

See, I read the button. And I figured hitting "REMOVE" would force remove the device. That's why i never hit it for my Z-wave devices but instead put the hub into exclude mode via the settings page. Silly me, thinking a button would say what it would do. Shouldn't the button on the device page say "Exclude" instead of Remove?
Thanks for clarifying....i never tried because i didn't want to force remove and f-up my mesh.

1 Like