Issues with Iris Smart Plugs as Z-Wave Repeaters

Yeah, I had hoped the same but even having the outlet within 5 feet of the hub didn't help. Sometimes it's best to leave well enough alone I guess.

What brand moisture sensor? I have over 20 ST branded ones and curious if they need an upgrade. I bought an Iris hub but it’s still sitting in the box.

@ritchierich

Is this one. I do not know if the iris hub will update ST sensors.

https://www.amazon.com/Iris-Smart-Home-Management-3315-L1/dp/B01GCKANRG

Also I found two plugs that need updating. In regards to @stephack, is there a separate firmware for the zwave side? I am afraid to take out my zwave network trying this. My schlage lock has been solid. Given all the posts to the other side I do not want to break it.

1 Like

My advice... If it isn't broken, don't fix it! :wink: Especially with Z-Wave locks in the mix.

The firmware for the 3210-L upgrades both the Zigbee and Z-Wave portions. No separate firmware for each that I could tell from the Iris Hub's information.

1 Like

Somehow I’ve lost the Zigbee side while trying to get Zwave working. How do I get it back? Holding button while plugging in doesn’t reset the unit.

As I mentioned a few posts up, I ran into a series of issues getting these re-paired on the zwave side. Saw some strange behavior but rammed my way through it. Here's my experience getting it resolved. You can read the details of the problem I encountered a few post up.

After trying for hours to get them paired, I reached out to support. Their advice was to let my zwave mesh settle overnight. I was doing a bunch of excludes, discoveries and repairs and probably created a bit of a backlog in the zwave queue.

Waiting overnight didn't help completely but was probably a factor as well. This is what worked for me.
After resetting the outlet (press and hold button while inserting to power). I let the zigbee side reconnect as it always does and settle for a couple of minutes. Unplugged the outlet for a couple of minutes. Plugged it back in and waited 5 seconds before doing the 10x tap. The zwave picked up and I was up and running again. I did this with 3 other outlets and it worked perfectly so far. The last is attached to my modem, so that's not gonna happen till the kiddos are in bed....if at all.

The funny thing is that not a single one of my ~20 iris devices needed an update. So all this was in vain. Like a wise man once said,

1 Like

Make sure you aren't holding the button down too long. As soon as the blue light come on...let go.

2 Likes

That was it. Thanks!

For anyone reading this, I have Samsung SmartThings branded water leak sensors that I bought in December 2017 and they do NOT pair to the Iris hub (even though they are Centralite branded) so unfortunately I won't be able to update the firmware.

1 Like

How about pairing to ST and see if there's a new firmware there?

@ogiewon @srwhite do you know the timeframe when the Iris hub updates firmware? I have a few Iris sensors that are critical with automations and I would like to minimize impact on family by moving them to the Iris hub for a firmware update. I plan to move them before bed but hoping that isn't too late to catch the update cycle.

I never saw them update during the day in my testing. But, they always were updated by the next morning. Overnight seemed to always be the trick, but I am not sure how late in the day you can start the process. I often swapped in a hot spare to minimize the impact to the rest of the house.

1 Like

Iris usually pushes hub updates out during business hours. Device firmware updates are random, but seem to occur mostly overnight. If they don't kick off during the pairing process, chances are you'll need to let them sit overnight.

If you are talking about updating Door & Window, or Motion Sensors, you're better off connecting them to SmartThings (if you have a hub). SmartThings currently can upgrade both of those sensors and has access to the same firmware that Lowe's does. Unlike Iris, SmartThings will usually push a firmware update out within hour of initial joining.

Unfortunately, for Keypads, SmartPlugs, Buttons, and key fobs, you'll need an Iris hub for those updates.

1 Like

All of these. Thanks for the details. I have both hubs and currently using the Iris to update the Iris stuff. Really hope HE will introduce firmware updates at some point.

When I updated my sensors most devices updated either as soon as I connected them or within 1 hour. The only ones that gave me some issues were the Smart plugs which I had to call Iris to physically push the updates out, and it wasn't all the plugs only a couple that had this issue.

1 Like

I just stumbled across this thread. I currently have quite a few of these smart plugs, and have used both the zigbee and z-wave side of the device. I can't say I've noticed any z-wave mesh issues, but skimming this thread has me wondering. Do these plugs ALWAYS cause issues with the z-wave network? Should I go in and remove the z-wave side even though I haven't actually noticed any issues yet? Is there a way to diagnose to see whether they're actually helping the network at all? Thanks in advance to anyone who can assist.

2 Likes

I have about 5 3210-L's paired with my Hubitat Hub, both Zigbee and Z-Wave. I have not noticed any issues.

I have 5 connected to my network without issue as well. In fact before I added them I add continual problem with my schlage lock that is across the house from the hub. The lock has been rock solid since adding these repeaters.

I too have been following this thread hoping to have enough information gathered so we can figure out what the actual culprit is.

The Z-Wave repeating was the issue, this was supposedly fixed in the latest firmware updates. So if you are up to date, then I do not think there is any issues.

There was never any issues with Zigbee.

The issue was only with the 3210-L's not the L2.

I have 5 Iris plugs, I had them paired with both, zigbee and z wave, but after this thread I decided to exclude them the z wave because my house is small, I see no difference, they worked fine when they were working as z wave repeaters.