Issues with Iris Smart Plugs as Z-Wave Repeaters

I'll have to look at all my Iris' when I get home. I probably have a couple of the original versions as I bought them a while back. I recently bought the Iris hub to update all my iris devices and they all have the same up-to-date version of the firmware. I will confirm tonight and post here.

1 Like

These should be the correct versions. I also have some L2's but have not had time to set them up and check the firmware.

3210-L - 0x20085010
3210-L2 - 0x20115010

Is an Iris hub required to check the firmware version or just to update it?

I do not believe there is a way to see it in HE. Either an Iris hub or you can also use ST.

Edit: the Plugs can only be updated with an Iris hub. The contact and motion sensors can be updated with either Iris or ST.

One last question (and it's really more of a clarification). There isn't any way to add the plugs to an Iris hub without going through the process of removing it from the Hubitat first is there?

I believe Loweโ€™s is still having the sale on the hubs, if you have a lot of Iris stuff it might be with it. When I got mine they had other Iris stuff on discount too.

I have a few unopened Iris hubs. They were giving them away with Iris devices last summer.

1 Like

Just a word of caution... Before anyone runs out to buy an Iris hub, you had better read this. Not a good sign.

Long shot but power reporting with so many plugs is concerning. I have only around 15 iris plugs and the amount of power reporting on the zigbee side was insane. I turned most of them the power reporting off for the one not needed and longer interval for others.

1 Like

Whatโ€™s the problem with reporting so much power? Does it strain the hubs resources?

Is turning off power reporting an option on the device itself? I see it can be done in the driver, but I'm not sure if that actually stops the device from sending these messages or just stops the driver from processing once they are (regardless of this setting) received.

JDRoberts has recommended against (excessive) power reporting on Z-Wave, and while ZigBee is different I wouldn't be surprised if the same could happen.

You can reset the plug. Hubitat doesn't know it's been reset, so the record stays. Then pair the plug to Iris hub, do the firmware update, remove from Iris. Go back into Hubitat device discovery and re-pair. Hubitat will say that it found an existing device, and it will go right back to functioning as if it had never left.

This is true for the Zigbee side of the 3210 outlets. However, the Z-Wave side needs special care. You must Exclude the Z-Wave repeater from Hubitat, using the Remove Device option on the Repeater Device page, to make sure you don't end up with 'ghost z-wave devices' on the Z-Wave stick.

After getting confirmation from the Hubitat Hub that the Z-Wave repeater has been removed (i.e. the device will be successfully removed from your devices list), you can safely reset the outlet, pair it to teh Iris Hub, update the firmware, remove it from the Iris hub, then reset it for good measure... and finally pair it with Hubitat again. The Zigbee Outlet will pop right back into the device it was previously. The Z-Wave repeater will create a new device.

3 Likes

Well as it turns out, all of mine are plain old L's. I thought for sure the ones I bought a few weeks back would be L2. Thought wrong.

Few weeks back? That was on Lowes sale and those were old L's :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Apparently so.

I have ones from the sale that are L2's. It's almost random, in fact I had sealed boxs in the past that said L2 and we're actually L versions.

@ogiewon have you had any issues with Z-Wave mesh after updating your Iris plugs? I'm assuming you added the Z-Wave repeater side to Hubitat after updating? I just picked up an Iris hub yesterday, working on checking FW versions on my 7 plugs. First one I checked seems to be up to date, or it was updated immediately upon pairing. Gotta finish checking the other 6.

Edit...second one done.

When they first pair to Iris hub, there's no FW listed. Then after a minute or two the latest version appears. Not sure if they had the latest version already, or if they are updating immediately upon pairing?

Right after pairing:

After a minute:

All of my Iris 3210-L outlets either were already up to date, or were updated immediately. Same as you, the firmware is not displayed for a minute or two after pairing these devices with the Iris hub.

When I restored them to service, I did add the Z-wave repeater to Hubitat. So far, no issues. My Z-wave network consists of ~15 devices, so not a very large network. Mostly GE switches and dimmers, a few Go Control motion and contact sensors, and a Aeon HEM v1.

1 Like

6 of my 7 did the exact same. The last one, which was also the most recent purchase, seemed to display the FW version sooner. Maybe the others had to update and this one was already up to date. I could be imagining it...but I'm gonna go with that :slight_smile:

1 Like