Issues with Iris Smart Plugs as Z-Wave Repeaters

My 5 plugs are paired to HE as zigbee outlets and working fine. It was just the z-wave side causing problems. If you don't have the z-wave repeaters paired then you should be fine, no need to worry about removing the zigbee plug side. It's basically 2 separate devices packaged into one plastic case.

When you "unpaired" after putting the hub into exclusion mode did you have to hit the button once or multiple times like including them?

Multiple...8-10 times I think. The pairing and unpairing inclusion and exclusion process was a pain.

I don't have a lot of Zwave at the moment, but over time I believe I will have more and more zwave items. I have about 10 of these plugs. Should I go ahead and just unpair them now and not consider them Zwave?

Also @destructure00 what is the unpairing process? I assume "just removing" the device isn't enough.

Yeah, and based on my recent experience with the HE hub not handling "not properly" excluded devices...I would want to do this perfectly.

Same as the inclusion process in my case. Tell Hubitat to remove the device, then when the exclusion window opens, press the button on the outlet a bunch of times until Hubitat returned me to the device page. Did not click the Force Remove button for obvious reasons. At one point (can't remember if it was during the inclusion or exclusion process) I was having problems with it not working. Rebooted the hub and had better results. Could have been a coincidence :man_shrugging:

If you didn't have them included as Z-Wave repeaters, they cannot hurt your Z-Wave mesh. I would not have recommended removing them, in those circumstances. They are excellent Zigbee devices. I personally have at least one in each room in my home.

1 Like

So far, ST has only pushed firmware for the Iris contact and motion sensors. They have never pushed firmware for the Iris plugs.

Yes. I’ve got 27 moved over to Hubitat so far and I’m still getting clean Zwave repairs. I’m using my own driver though.

That’s the correct hub. You only need a free Iris account. The plugs should update within a couple hours after pairing.

2 Likes

Thanks. I may grab one since they are so cheap. I'd like to get my recent clearance priced Iris devices up to the latest firmware levels while I still can.

1 Like

I have 15 plugs using the HE Z-wave repeater driver and I usually keep an eye on these plugs after reboot or such by looking at the Z-wave info page and so far I don't have any issue with my Z-wave mesh. I have 100+ devices on Z-wave alone.
I am starting to worry after reading this post. I did have similar issue with ST before.

I ran a z-wave repair this morning after moving one about 20 feet and it completed with no errors

Rick

I say this page is pretty important after a reboot.

Are you using Zz to place elements at the bottom of the list?

If so, you can also do this with the "~" character :slight_smile: If not, I'm curious about what Zz stands for.

I do...and AA to get them to the top.

1 Like

Yeah, that's exactly what Zz is. Bottom of the pile. Thanks for the ~ suggestion. Didn't know that one. I use space for top of the list.

1 Like

Now I got one Iris hub too after reading your post, I want to update my plugs but by the way, I'm using them as a z wave repeaters without any problems, and for zigbee repeaters too.

I literally just got my new $27 Iris Hub up and running. I paired 1 Iris Outlet (3210-L) to it and 1 Iris Motion Sensor (3326-L).

I then logged into https://iriswebportal.com/ and went under Troubleshooting -> All Devices to see my device firmware revisions as shown below.

Now I just need to cycle through all of my Iris devices to make sure they are up to date.

@srwhite - do you have a list of current firmware revisions by Iris device Model Numbers?

1 Like

Do you have to pair both Zigbee and Z-wave of the plug for update?

My understanding is that the Iris hub pairs via Zigbee first, and then automatically pairs the z-wave radio as well, for the 3210-L outlets.

@ogiewon any luck getting any of your devices updated yet?