Is there an alternative to Echo Speaks?

I tried (many times) to Install Echo Speak and Echo Speak Beta. no luck. I reported the issue on Github but no answer. All I am trying to do is play a sound effect like dog barking on an Alexa device (without Alexa announcing the title.) I just can't get pass the authentication part with Amazon I get a 404.
I got this to work with a paid monthly fee at My Pod App. It works great. It works but I don't like depending on a cloud base option. I am a techy person but not a full blown programmer, and no I don't have Linux and PI. I love Hubitat Hub. It has been the most stable automation system I ever had in my house fo about 3 years now! Any other options out there? Thank you all the community for the great apps and help! Andre.

The alternative would be to have a paid Heroku account. Have you done that?

1 Like

Thank you aaiyar but I tried that thinking it might help. But no I still get stock on Alexa services auth.

I tried the non Heroku install but I don't see documentation when I encounter: Copy the following URL and use it in the appCallbackUrl field of the Server Web Config Page

I, too, have created a paid Heroku account but can't get any further than you have.

1 Like

thank you ddalder for your feedback. If you are going to pay, pay My Pod App $2 a month fixed. and it works. Simple and I will help you. right here.

1 Like

I scared the s%&T out of me last night when I walked in with Alexa blasting barking dogs lol

1 Like

look this is why I like so far my pod. with a paid subscription Alexa does not announce the title. It is just plain quick dog barking. I am assuming that is what you are looking for.

Nice! I will look into this a little later tonight. I sounds promising.

It's probably not what you're looking for, but you can add custom sounds on this. I have one and I like it.

https://www.amazon.com/Ecolink-Enabled-Security-Intruder-ISZW7-ECO/dp/B099CS76K3

ok. I am not an expert at this but that was easy and works. Here is a screenshot of how to setup Alexa routine. Let me know how it goes.

Thank you! I will look now.

Thank you velvetfoot but I am looking more for a solution to use the 5 Alexa I have in the house.

I figured. I don't use that at all, so not in my wheelhouse.

This requires that you have a server (rpi, linux box, etc).

1 Like

what type of server? I would like to learn that. Can you please point me in the right direction on how and what type of server to build please?

2 Likes

I don't believe there is any non cloud solution for Alexa. There are options but it requires SONOS as that has a local integration and the files can be saved and played directly from the hub. To my knowledge that's the only speaker that can work without the cloud.

3 Likes

Wow! Thank you Ken. Almost bed time here but Iโ€™ll be right on it first thing in the morning.

1 Like

Very possible. ok thank you.