Is there a mobile app?

Not a blowout app like ST but just something basic so some family members could turn things on/off etc. Looking forward to this and nice seeing you guys in the same place.

2 Likes

So I was working on a simple concept tonight. What about a simple HTML endpoint that would allow you to choose which switches you want to make available (virtual or real) and just allow you to see the status and then tap and turn them on/off?

This could be brought up from any browser anywhere via the OAUTH2 endpoint and you could create separate “Remotes” for different folks / devices.

It’s essentially a virtual remote controller for your home. Not a final solution, but something to get folks by until we have a few other pieces in place.

2 Likes

Hi All
newbie to this site and have my hub ordered.
This is in no way trying to create an argument or issue, just My opinion.
I understand the process of getting the hub and integration of devices working properly, being priority.
My opinion on an App is that it is a necessary part of the whole automation system, especially for the masses. An app will increase the volume of costumes.
let me explain my thoughts… although we the tinkers like to test and don’t mind programing/connecting/making rules for things to work the way we want, for our friends and family members that have to use our automation systems, for alarm systems, unlocking doors, turning on/off light … repeatedly using a web browser for the simple things will be far to cumbersome, you have to remember and type in the web address username and password and depending on how the web page is setup search around or several clicks as opposed to just opening an app and in 1 or 2 clicks you can make things happen.

Appreciate the feedback. Having a web interface also has advantages over a mobile app.

You can bookmark deep links directly to specific areas. Open up multiple tabs and use the larger screen real estate to do things faster.

We will have an app but at this point, the user interface will stay web based. It is also mobile optimized, so you can use it essentially like an app but with all the features of a website above.

We also have a discovery website that will find you hub and you don’t have to know or type the IP address.

Also, making endpoint apps that can server up HTML make it possible to do dedicated apps that become accessible anywhere with a token. These also can be bookmarked and even saved to the home screen of most mobile OS’s and then would act just like an app, but you would be in control of which devices are exposed to whom.

2 Likes

This will definitely be a good start. I remember you were working on something similar back then so it wouldn't be a problem.
If you guys are gearing this to just the DIY crowd then that's fine but the majority of homeowners have spouse and kids and an interface is really needed. There's no way I am allow to automate my whole house without a user interface.

I would also assume you don't want them to have full control over your system either? Dashboards and Remote control is something we need to work out with significant user feedback.

I am not a huge fan of giving everyone in my house access to a mobile app that can do everything with no user level restrictions.

This is something that will take some time to gather all the user feedback and to get right.

Here's some screen shots of the prototype app...

The links here are for the cloud / remote access to bookmark.

This is being served up via the cloud relay oauth2 endpoint. So you could just save this URL to your home screen and click it to access switches to turn on/off pretty much anything with a switch.

Style is lacking, its a proof of concept of what can be done fairly easily.

4 Likes

I am all for this! Sounds like a great temp solution.

2 Likes

Looks promising and user privilege is awesome.

Patrick,

A simple “Remote Control/Dashboard” app on my phone is all I really need when away from the house. I personally rarely open the ST app, unless I am configuring the system. There is one exception - I really do like being able to pull out my phone to open my garage door by simply clicking on a tile. I’d hate to lose that capability.

The simplicity and configuration options of the old Smart Tiles web app would probably suffice for a vast majority of use cases. I know it would work for me! What you’ve shown above appears to be on the right track, IMHO.

FYI - I configured my home router’s OpenVPN server last night to make sure I can access my Hubitat Elevation remotely should the need arise. Now all I need is the hub! Any update on when these will ship?

UPDATE: Just received my USPS tracking number! WooHoo!

Dan

5 Likes

This is how you stir the pot!?!?!

What about home kit integration a la the way HA Bridge and ST did it. This works pretty well except for ST dependency on the cloud to execute which slows things down.

But, personally, the iOS home app runs smoother than ST in most scenarios and gives me the ability to ask Siri to close my garage when I am not home (not on wifi) which is a big plus.

2 Likes

Anything is possible. :slight_smile:

So far the prototype is looking good. I have no problem with a web interface. It’s nice and portable across devices unlike apps, and if it’s locally managed. That gives a whole lot of freedom of who gets what devices and level of control and leaves a lot of room for admin functions too. A web interface is able to be integrated with almost anything and is almost infinitely extendable.

I saw mention of notifications in an earlier post. Notifications are a must have, but I think having a notification model that is designed from the beginning to be extensible and expandable to external services would be the way to go. And not having notifications tied to an app makes it possible to use all manner of systems ranging from sms, pushbullet, google, facebook, even Alexa or any combination of notification systems.

That’s an interesting concept regarding notifications. It would be possible to do this inside the app model and have that build out the notification external connections, assuming the provider has an REST API or similar.

Things that trigger a notification would have to be stored somewhere for the app to subscribe to… Or you could just build your own notification events based on what state change has happened based on the device or app. At least in theory, of course…

Thanks for the feedback!

The external interface would be REST or almost anything as the internals (from what I currently understand) are going to be Groovy which also means there’s a JVM so it could be a Hubitat app used for notifications that could then interface basically with anything. If it were an internal notification system it would be extendable to any external source. Could even be connected with a modem if you needed something that extreme. Or a cell device etc etc.

1 Like

I personally love the way Apple HomeKit looks and it all runs locally via an AppleTV or iPad. And now that Apple has lifted the hardware encryption requirement it will open up a lot of opportunities for 3rd parties to work with their system. I’m very much looking forward to the possibility of using HomeKit as a dashboard/control point for Hubitat. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

The prototype is looking great it will be perfect for my second location where I could give guest access to control a couple of devices but not give them access to break my automation.

Working on porting HousePanel so a local version of this is what I need to make it work without going out to cloud and back. How would one generate the app accessToken for local use? Is it just state.acessToken?

A HousePanel port is under development... it works on ST on phones and tablets equally well.

2 Likes

createAccessToken()

Then the token will be available in state.accessToken

1 Like

Here's a teaser showing an important milestone... reading devices from Hubitat local hub from a rPI hosted HousePanel app that I am porting over to Hubitat. Note the three things in the center that start with name "Hubitat" - these are Hubitat devices. The others are SmartThings devices. The App is written to read devices from both ecosystems in parallel so you can migrate gradually and still have a working home. I am super excited about this. Stay tuned as this gets refined and hardened enough to post to the community to give it a whirl.

11 Likes